How long for steroids to kick in?

clydeviewequestrian

Visit site
Hi everyone,

My horse has been on 150 steroids a day since Friday as he has various allergies we are about to begin treating but he needs something to settle his itching down in the mean time. I was wondering before I phone the vet tomorrow if I am right in thinking they should have started working by now? I was a bit worried they wouldn't have the desired effect as he has been on a lower dose previously and they did nothing, which is why he's on a high amount now but he is still extremely itchy 🙄

Thanks for any replies!

Summit

Visit site
How big is your horse? One on my yard has to have steroids and she’s about 14.2 and I’m sure she has more than 150 as her initial dose. I recall vet gave a steroid injection to start then the tablets

clydeviewequestrian

Visit site
How big is your horse? One on my yard has to have steroids and she’s about 14.2 and I’m sure she has more than 150 as her initial dose. I recall vet gave a steroid injection to start then the tablets

Really that's interesting, my friends 14.2 was on 80 a day, they had initially tried my horse on 110 a day but it made no difference so they decided to try 150 but it has to be reduced after a week, although there's not much point on doing that if they aren't working in the first place! They haven't mentioned steroid injections but it's something I was going to ask about. He is about 17hh but he's a clydesdale so he's a very heavy build.