How long is the minimum for loaning?

piebaldproblems

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a part loan but suspect I might need to end the loan sometime around Aug next year. I know owners rightfully want commitment from their loaner. So if hypothetically I found a horse tomorrow, would Nov -> Aug be enough or are owners looking for a year plus?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a part loan but suspect I might need to end the loan sometime around Aug next year. I know owners rightfully want commitment from their loaner. So if hypothetically I found a horse tomorrow, would Nov -> Aug be enough or are owners looking for a year plus?
Depends on the owner. Often the loan is for a short time for personal circumstances like pregnancy.

Polos Mum

Visit site
part loan I assume you mean sharing where you ride / look after the horse 2-3 days a week for a reasonably nominal fee (vs. loaning where you take 100% of cost and responsibility)

A six month + share would be not unusual at all - many come ride over the summer then disappear!

Cob Life

Visit site
I think the important thing is to be upfront about your possible plans and then the owner can decide if that fits the bill for them and the horse.
I think the important thing is to be upfront about your possible plans and then the owner can decide if that fits the bill for them and the horse.
this ^^

I got a share just for over exam season but 2 1/2 years later I’m still there! So maybe someone in their last year of 6th form?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
From what I saw on a large yard, there is often a fairly fast turnover of sharers so I that would be longer than a lot so I wouldn't worry .

blitznbobs

Visit site
I loaned a horse for 5 months once… I was at uni but was going abroad in 6 months , the loaner was pregnant and wanted her horse keptt in work til the birth … worked really well