How long should a welshs mane be?

welshied

Visit site
Going to be showing my 2 year old how long should his mane be it hasn't been touched yet so do i need to pull it?

Lisa2manyponies

Visit site
depends on what section you pony is b and d tend to have shorter manes also depends on the conformation of your pony a pony that has a good neck can carry off a longer mane have you got any photos ?

Cliqmo

Visit site
Can we have a pic of how it currently is?
laugh.gif

Cliqmo

Visit site
add them from your pc to www.photobucket.com (you will need to register but it is really quick) then under each uploaded picture there will be an IMG code, copy and paste that into the box at the bottom of the HHO thread as you normally do to reply on here
laugh.gif

miss_c

Visit site
My D with her mane:

3234_556882018820_200900908_33494770_4186694_n.jpg

She's rubbed some out at the bottom unfortunately, but I would happily let it grow longer. Must admit my pet hate is seeing Welsh D's with very neatly pulled manes! There was one at the show last week and the mane was beautifully straight all along the bottom, and had been thinned as well. Not my cup of tea!

josiesmithuk

Visit site
I have two section D's, show them both but very different one is the finer type and the other is like a tank on 4 legs. The finer one we pull his mane quite short to give the illusion of a thicker neck the tank one we leave the mane quite long to balance the front end. Just tidy it up.

x x

jewel

Visit site
if he is registered and you are showing against other D's i would trim him up. the mane at about the length of wear the ring is on your head collar. when mine is trimmed they do the trimming with a bot knife so as not to get straight lines. they also do his tail to a v shape and take off the fluffy bits on his legs plus any beard that he has got.

Taffster

Visit site
I would leave his mane as he is still only 2, as for the palomino one i would only even it out. The idea is to enhance or cover up the neck whichever is weaker. My filly in the sigi had a long white mane which i left even but long she had a good neck but was still developing, the bay in my sigi is trimmed to 8" her has a huge neck which is enhanced greatly with his mane being a decnet length. Also the tail should only be trimmed to hock if he has great legs behind otherwise keep it long, after all showing is generally about covering a million sins!

D

Donkeymad

This is a four year old Champion, pretty much as he was shown.

jd6.jpg

OP. I really would not touch the mane except possibly a tiny bit of tidying.

L

lilym

This is my D, just in from the feild, he does showing and dressage.
DSC_0073.jpg

and this is my sec C as a 2 year old, when she did a few inhand shows, i leave a longer bit behind her ear to pop a welshie plait in to show off her jawline more.
CIMG0597-web.jpg

My D's mane is a bit bushy and could do with thinning slightly again, but i don't like welshies with manes like showjumpers so we have to be a bit careful!!

L

lilym

I always pop in one plait (left long) behind the ear, to show off the jawline, it also helps separate the mane from the forelock making the bridle sit better!
there is no rule saying you have to put a plait in, so try it and see if it suits him first! good luck!
smile.gif

skewbaldpony

Visit site
I just cannot stop seeing this thread and thinking it says, how long should a welsh's NAME be!
Keep wanting to put 'oh, I don't think it matters, as long as it has enough 'L's in it .....'

tee hee hee.

Lovely pony, btw.