How long to ride after minor surgery?

DD265

Visit site
I'm having a cyst removed from my back (bra strap area) next month. The incision is going to be about 1.5" long and will be stitched. I was told absolutely no gym/swim/stretchy activities for a fortnight and then be very careful, but I forgot to ask about riding! My horse is very good but it's hilly and I know that sitting to his movement downhill is going to count as "stretchy", not to mention tacking up etc. The cyst is on the right and I'm right dominant.

Has anybody had a similar procedure? How long did it take before you were comfortable back in the saddle?

windand rain

Visit site
If a wound is stitiched/stapled I would wait until the stitches are out. Then when I felt comfortable. Had carpal tunnel surgery and was riding within 2 weeks but it never bothered me at all even immediately after surgery is was pain free. So go witht he professional advice and follow your own pain threshold

Ladyinred

Visit site
Daughter had exactly the same procedure a couple of years ago and carried on as normal.

Until, that is, she ripped half the stitches out! Recovery then took far longer than if she had done as she was told by the doctor.

Crackerz

Visit site
i had a lump removed from my head last year, i rode the next day even though my hat hurt my stitches! I am awful at resting.