How long to see an improvement - laminitis

Tapir

Visit site
My ems companion pony came in with very mild laminitis two weeks ago. She is fine in a straight line but lame on a tight turn. She's been stabled ever since with soaked hay and her pulses feel much better, although still there. How long would you expect before you would expect to see an improvement?

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
It will depend on many things, including the degree of rotation and if there is sinking.

As above, vet should be able to give some idea. I assume you have X rays?

Laminitis is horrible. I hope yours makes a good and quick recovery.

_HP_

Visit site
If you haven't already, I would suggest xrays asap to check for rotation. If there is any, then the correct trim should give immediate relief
You'll also need to check her EMS levels, which will give you an indication as to how well controlled it is and work from there
I would expect there to be no pulses after 2 weeks if you have correctly found and treated the cause.

Casey76

Visit site
Does she have shoes on or boots and pads?

As above, I highly recommend getting X-rays so that you know what is goin on inside the foot. If there is any rotation you will need a specific trim to realign the bony column.

Even if on a deep bed, I'd recommend boots and pads, if you don't have any boots, then you can duct tape pads to the feet as an emergency measure.

You really need to improve the inflammation in the feet, so a check of insulin levels would be required. Ensure that she is on an emergency diet. I.e. Nothing at all except weighed 1hr soaked and rinsed hay - absolutely no grass. If she is on metformin, then give these in a handful very low starch food. If she is on a straw bed, it may be helpful to change to something nonedible during this acute phase (wood pellets, aubiose, linseed straw, shavings etc).

While every case is different, depending on the cause and how early it is caught; Blitz had no pulses after 3 days.