how long to settle in?

magpiesyard

Visit site
Hi Guys, new pony coming on sat!! can't wait - some advice please?
He's an ickle 12.2h welsh cross palamino and has a temperament to die for! 3 and a half years old, hes been long reining well and with a saddle on, but not backed yet and apparantly loves going out! How long do you think I should give him to settle in to new place before taking him out and about? I was thinking a couple of weeks? Would start gradually of course, not sure if this is too soon though, bless him I do worry!
Thanks peops xx
confused.gif
grin.gif

pottamus

Visit site
Just see how he is when you are handling him in the yard and taking him out to the field etc...if he is calm and happy he is probably settling in okay. Really depends on the horse but if you are worried, then 2 weeks should be fine providing he is calm and manageable.

Tia

Visit site
Yeah it really depends on the horse. Some of mine have arrived and I have left them for a week before doing anything, but normally providing they appear happy enough, I will do something with them in the first day or two. Nothing too taxing but just get them out to see the lay of the land.

suns

Visit site
Hi Magpiesyard, I like to let my newbies have a week to settle in, make friends with the other horses and generally get used to their new surroundings before I start doing anything with them. Just like the idea of giving them a little time to adjust.

Happytohack

Visit site
About a week, so he gets used to his new routine and hopefully makes new friends. I have always kept a new horse separate for a few days, so they can get used to their new fieldmates with an electric fence between them. He is very young so it will all be very new and exciting for him - just take your time and don't rush things. It can take many months for some horses to settle in properly.