How long will she get?

soloequestrian

Visit site
KWPN, rising 3, now around 16.1hh in a 6'3 rug. I'm guessing she will end up around 16.3-17hh (though slightly worried by the post about horses continuing to grow until 8!!). How long might I expect her to get? My old boy is just over 17hh and wears a 7' rug but he is a gangly TB so don't know if he would compare well? Does my guess for height sound reasonable?
Thanks in advance!

old hand

Visit site
It also depends which rug make you use. Some are far roomier than others. I always use 3.5 inches from three as a rule for a big horse. However, have had one stop completely at three - he was a TBx ID more TB than draught. Another was 15.1hh at 18 months and 17hh at four, never grew taller but did need 7ft 3ins rugs eventually as he bulked up a lot. It depends on their build , he rode about 17.3hh.

catroo

Visit site
All horses keep on growing/developing until 7 so she may have a bit to grow.

As above, it's build that can affect it. I have a standard Shetland (10.2hh) in a 5ft rug and it isn't that roomy!

eggs

Visit site
As others have said it isn't just height that affects the rug length needed. One of mine us a smidge over 17.3 - for him 6'6" is a little sung and 6'9" just a smidge long. On the other hand my mare who is 17.0 takes a 7'0" in most rugs.

soloequestrian

Visit site
As others have said it isn't just height that affects the rug length needed. One of mine us a smidge over 17.3 - for him 6'6" is a little sung and 6'9" just a smidge long. On the other hand my mare who is 17.0 takes a 7'0" in most rugs.

Crumbs, that must be one compact horse! My third one is a fairly short, stocky 16.1 and he is comfortable in 6'9!

Greylegs

Visit site
My 14.2 chunk of a highland wears a 6'9", so height of horse doesn't equate to rug size in my experience!!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My 17.3hh is in a 6'9 and his rugs are starting to get a little tighter the more work I do with him and he definitely hasn't grown. Just to echo what above posters have said