How many are in your field/fields

scruffyponies

Visit site
7 in one, 3 in the other. Will all be out together in the summer. This time of year the good do-ers have to stay in the crap field, whilst the oldies get the better grass.

Visit site
4 on 5 acres. There's more than enough grass but imho space matters too; the rule I follow is 2 acres for the first horse and another acre for each additional. Ours are all pretty small as well but as fatties they need to move about.

only_me

Visit site
2 donks and a horse in 5 flat acres atm, although potentially adding a shetland as grass is nearly all gone lol.

Summer it’s horse, 2 donks and 3 alpacas on 6 hilly acres

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
It used to be 4/5 horses on 8 acres all year round and then 5 on 3acres (good doers) who then went to 2acres in winter (whole yards is in at night in winter) and two geldings on 1 acre in summer and 10acres in winter.

YM is shifting the herds about now as now we pretty much have an empty yard so we will have three geldings (at the moment) on the 8acres and 4mares (at the moment) on the 3 then 2 and one gelding (old and can’t be on hilly ground and is hard to catch as he was abused) who will be on the 1 then 10. We are supposed to be having a few more people moving on so if they are mares they will go on the 3 and 2 and if geldings will go on the 8.

Unless the YM changes it which wouldn’t be outwith the realms of possibility. We are going to geldings and mares fields as we have a mare aggressive gelding because he had never been in with mares in his life until he came to our yard. My old horse had to give him what for a few times as he tried to take the mares and my boy was the boss. He’s terrible when putting new horses even mares in the field.

Pippity

Visit site
Three on about an acre (winter paddock)/2 acres (summer paddock). One warmblood, one HW cob, and one pony. We have small herd turnout, so they're all in twos or threes.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
4 on 4.5 acres, divided into paddocks = 2 x mini shetlands, 2 natives of 13.2 & 14hh.

1 x mini shet perfect shape, wearing grazing muzzle as on good grass all day, out with 14hh who is still looking poor but picking up a bit. Both in at night to help with figures, 14hh clearing 25lb+ hay overnight plus 2 hard feeds daily.

Other mini shit keeps getting rid of muzzle, fat. Out with 13.2 Fell who is obese as been on 6 months field rest, big diet starting end of this month for both. Neither on hay yet either! Bare 1 acre paddock, not even a weed....as Fell pony dug them all up!

SEL

Visit site
2 on about 2.5 but we've been given notice the yard is closing so I'll probably open up the other acre once I've checked the fencing. No point in preserving the grazing!!

Twohorses

Visit site
My horses are home. The 25 great acres we are privileged to own is the retirement "gift" I spent my entire life working toward.

In the beginning there were four horses -- having been raised in a dairy farm, I was taught five acres per head of livestock, minimum, unless one wants never -ending mud and to have to hay all year long.

My two elders have been laid to rest, so there are now two horses but they have to be separated since the alpha/protector horse has passed. The IR horse has been in remission since 2015. He is on six acres, the healthy horse is on the 19 acres.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Just my 2... I don't trust The Beast not to beat up anyone else's horse and don't trust anyone else's horse not to beat up Granny! The two of them together have found a happy balance. Plus no-one else poo picks...

It does mean they are on less than an acre and have been since June (I thought it was bigger, it's not). And it's getting a bit on the muddy side. I have been promised a field extension (other liveries have much more room) but it hasn't happened yet and I don't like to nag. We're managing, putting hay out which they aren't always eating so they are still finding grass, and it was too much grass in summer anyway so if it's half trashed over winter I'm not too worried. If land owner was bothered about the mud I'd have had my extension by now!

The field gets standing water puddles but other bits seem to drain well. Think soil is loamy. Definitely not clay.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
5 on 3 acres, two out over night (both 14.2hh native x freisans) and three in the day, (Shetland, 13.3hh new forest and 14.2hh cobbler) other years have had some of field sectioned off but this year has been mild and unmuddy enough to let them have the whole lot :)

Far too much in the summer but this year thinking of doing track system again and cutting middle 2 acres for hay. Will be pretty poor yield but leaving it as standing hay has historically resulted in a muddy mess.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Um - 2 mares & foals in 4 acres, 4 weaned mares in 4 acres, 5 sundry females in 3 acres, 8 various mares in divisions of 7 acres, 6 mares in 6 acres, 2 boys in 1 acre, anothe 2 boys in 11/2 acres. and then 2x2 boys in - as of today - a 1 acre and a 3 acre - I got bored with putting the electric fence back up when they were in together. Have an 8 acre, a 2 acre, and a couple more 'patches' closed up for the spring and mud EVERYWHERE. Then there are 4 boys including 2 stallion who have day turn-out patches, and 4 weaned foals - currently stabled but turned out in the manege for an hour or two in the morning. I THINK that's it, lol. Still too many.

JFTDWS

Visit site
3 - two big ponies, one small horse, on maybe 4 acres, clay. They're out 24/7, there's no mud and there's still a fair bit of grass further back - though I supplement with hay anyway. Still waiting for winter here really - I'm sure the downpours will start sooner or later :oops:

holeymoley

Visit site
Hmm was just musing today. I think our herds are quite big, we have 11 in our field. Just feeling there’s a few too many ‘bigger’ personalities in it for crowing the gate at winter time.

pippixox

Visit site
Hmm was just musing today. I think our herds are quite big, we have 11 in our field. Just feeling there’s a few too many ‘bigger’ personalities in it for crowing the gate at winter time.

Mine used to be in a mixed herd of 12 of varying ages for quite a few years. They all seemed ok really, except for certain areas getting poached. As long as they are settled they seem to figure it out. I then got my own field next door and had 4, sold one and recently had one PTS and my old boy is missing the company. So currently 2 (moping!) on 8 acres. Track in summer and middle for the winter.

J&S

Visit site
2 on 2.5 acres. Only some scrub grass left around the edges but still both looking very well so room for manouevre!