How many beds?

Clodagh

Visit site
We have 3 labs, so we have 3 x baskets in the kitchen, 2 x baskets in the back hall and 1 x bed in cloakroom.
1 x bed and dog permissible sofa in one sitting room and 2 x beds in the other.
1 x bed in our bedroom.
This is getting ridiculous! When new pup comes no way can we fit in another bed, so it made me think - do you all have enough beds for each dogs to be in whichever room they choose? Or sometimes do they just have to deal? The two younger labs (5 and 2) also yearn after the bed the other one is in which can get a bit boring as well. Maybe no beds and they can all sleep on the carpet? None share.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
How open plan, or otherwise, are you? We just have 1 per dog, in the cloakroom, they are allowed on kitchen sofa if there is room! But otherwise they mill about on the floor, or take themselves off to the cloakroom if they want a bed.

Clodagh

Visit site
Not open plan, and they tend to follow us from room to room. If there is not a bed available where they want it they pace, stare and drive me nuts. (I do know they are deeply spoilt!).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No but our dogs are not allowed upstairs or on any furniture. They have a shared bed in a big double crate, or they can sleep separately if they prefer in either side of the crate (sometimes prefer this when the weather is hot) or any any of the rugs on the floor.

Nicnac

Visit site
One bed per dog. Not allowed upstairs and only on sofas if invited. I don't have carpets downstairs but there are a couple of big Turtle type mats by front and back doors that they sometimes lie down on.

Widgeon

Visit site
Would some sheets of vetbed (in one of the less hideous colours) rolled out on the floor like a rug be any good? That might take up a bit less room than a bed and if you got a long piece maybe they could all fit on? Unless they like to use the edge of the bed as a pillow and will be disgusted by what is essentially a blanket on the floor, in which case, I can't think of anything useful to suggest! Good luck - we have one small dog and even his bed, crate, blankets etc seem to get spread around everywhere.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
How on Earth do you have room to move without tripping over a bed or basket? And the staring/pacing thing must drive you mad! Our three have a futon thing on the floor and free use of the sofa and armchair in the living room provided that they don't get in the way of anyone with two legs. The collie is allowed to sleep on the bed with us at night, but the other two are shut downstairs mostly to give them peace from the youngest cat. I couldn't stand having dogs demanding so much leeway in terms of somewhere to lie down - very rude of them, IMHO. What do they think they are, cats or something?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I was also going to suggest some big pieces of vetbed in strategic locations, which is what we do when the spaniels stay as otherwise five beds downstairs and five beds up is reaching madness levels. The house already looks like a canine obstacle course.

The only creature that gets more than one bed on each floor is the schiplet, as besides his pen in the kitchen his weeny bed fits under a side table so it hardly counts. :p

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Husband made our two a sofa bed with a cot mattress in the indoor yard. They also have a large thick rug in there. There are a couple of sheepskins in the living room for them to watch tv in the evenings too.

BBP

Visit site
My collie lies on the hard tile floor. Or the hard wood floor. He does have one bed downstairs and one in my room for nighttime, but generally he digs at them til he has moved them out of the way so he can sleep on the piece of hard flooring that they were on. Or he will burrow under them and sleep with the bed on his head! Or he uses them as a big toy and romps around dragging them about. Clearly despite being a show line collie he is made of outdoorsy stuff!

meleeka

Visit site
My dog has one bed in the lounge which she uses occasionally when there’s no room on the sofas. Sometimes she lays on the stairs or in the hall if she’s waiting for someone (everyone has to be in before she settles in the evening) but she is allowed to lay almost anywhere she chooses. When I had two dogs I had two beds as the dog I mentioned above used to love the other ones bed but never her own.

deb_l222

Visit site
I have 3 dogs and have 3 beds but in the kitchen only as that’s where they’re left if I’m out. They are however allowed on the furniture and generally stick to the same spots every evening when watching TV etc.

Upstairs, Button sleeps on the bed, Rufus has a folded quilt on the bedroom floor and Willow prefers to stay downstairs.

My dog beds aren’t ‘beds’ as such. They’re all 15 tog folded quilts with covers.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
2 Dogs, 2 crates with beds in the kitchen, 1 bed and 1 vet bed mat in the living room and 1 vet bed mat in the study. The greyhound will not go into the study as he once slipped on the floor but the GSD puppy thinks slippy floors are a great game.

teddypops

Visit site
My collie lies on the hard tile floor. Or the hard wood floor. He does have one bed downstairs and one in my room for nighttime, but generally he digs at them til he has moved them out of the way so he can sleep on the piece of hard flooring that they were on. Or he will burrow under them and sleep with the bed on his head! Or he uses them as a big toy and romps around dragging them about. Clearly despite being a show line collie he is made of outdoorsy stuff!
My collie also likes the hard floors and will rarely sleep in a bed!

Leo Walker

Visit site
We have one bed in the spare room. this is the most desired one as it has a heat pad, but its in the spare room where people rarely go so its used but not all the time, theres a covered crate with a duvet in in the bedroom and downstairs theres a raised bed near the radiator. However being whippets the furniture is theirs and they just allow us to use it sometimes! They both sleep in the bed under the duvet so long as theres a person in it, and will sit with us on the sofa. We've only got a little 2 bed terraced house so there really isnt room for anymore beds!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine have three in the kitchen, 3 in the lounge. The youngsters usually cwtch together but like the bed by chair option for strokes. Mostly, one of them is on my knee.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
We have 3 labs, so we have 3 x baskets in the kitchen, 2 x baskets in the back hall and 1 x bed in cloakroom.
1 x bed and dog permissible sofa in one sitting room and 2 x beds in the other.
1 x bed in our bedroom.
This is getting ridiculous! When new pup comes no way can we fit in another bed, so it made me think - do you all have enough beds for each dogs to be in whichever room they choose? Or sometimes do they just have to deal? The two younger labs (5 and 2) also yearn after the bed the other one is in which can get a bit boring as well. Maybe no beds and they can all sleep on the carpet? None share.

You have 10 beds for three dogs!(you’re sounding like my MIL😉😀!My dogs have one bed each. Like it or lump it.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
We have one bed in the spare room. this is the most desired one as it has a heat pad, but its in the spare room where people rarely go so its used but not all the time, theres a covered crate with a duvet in in the bedroom and downstairs theres a raised bed near the radiator. However being whippets the furniture is theirs and they just allow us to use it sometimes! They both sleep in the bed under the duvet so long as theres a person in it, and will sit with us on the sofa. We've only got a little 2 bed terraced house so there really isnt room for anymore beds!
I do miss my Whippet. Newly married, in a small maisonette, he would jump on the bed in the middle of the night, burrow under the covers, get too hot, leave x 3!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Mine have vetbeds/cheap fleeces/memory foam mats from Poundstretcher although I am thinking of a big comfy bed for the youngest one, who is a delicate flower :p any recommendations welcome.
They can be in living room, hall or kitchen, that's it. Any pestering behaviour and they're out or in crate. One is very happy snuggling on sofa but the other is a fidgety bum who likes standing on my kidneys so he's usually on the floor.

Rabasta, without sounding like Granny Mush, depending on the age of your GSD, just be mindful about the pup slipping/splaying on slippy floors, while it's hard to do damage to genetically good hips and elbows, it's best to avoid that sort of hooning, a lot of my friends put running mats down on wooden floors when their dogs are younger.
Having said that, my now 8yo is HD/ED free despite spending his first 12 months launching himself from great heights, horizontally, getting legs stuck under book cases etc, and is still a bit of a rocket :p

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Mine have vetbeds/cheap fleeces/memory foam mats from Poundstretcher although I am thinking of a big comfy bed for the youngest one, who is a delicate flower :p any recommendations welcome.
They can be in living room, hall or kitchen, that's it. Any pestering behaviour and they're out or in crate. One is very happy snuggling on sofa but the other is a fidgety bum who likes standing on my kidneys so he's usually on the floor.

Rabasta, without sounding like Granny Mush, depending on the age of your GSD, just be mindful about the pup slipping/splaying on slippy floors, while it's hard to do damage to genetically good hips and elbows, it's best to avoid that sort of hooning, a lot of my friends put running mats down on wooden floors when their dogs are younger.
Having said that, my now 8yo is HD/ED free despite spending his first 12 months launching himself from great heights, horizontally, getting legs stuck under book cases etc, and is still a bit of a rocket :p

I’ve got the wipe clean for my GSDx https://www.tuffies.co.uk/browse/c-Dog-Mattress-beds-and-covers-6

Clodagh

Visit site
OK so I am being bullied by the dogs as well as by the olds! If I say 'Go and lie down' they will go and lie in a bed and then I feel guilty if it isn't the one they wanted. Only one of the three is allowed on sofas and beds, which is very unfair I know but she is mine!
I will tell them they can just deal with what is available and will have to share with pup, so I won't cut down but neither will I increase. :)

Clodagh

Visit site
How on Earth do you have room to move without tripping over a bed or basket? And the staring/pacing thing must drive you mad! Our three have a futon thing on the floor and free use of the sofa and armchair in the living room provided that they don't get in the way of anyone with two legs. The collie is allowed to sleep on the bed with us at night, but the other two are shut downstairs mostly to give them peace from the youngest cat. I couldn't stand having dogs demanding so much leeway in terms of somewhere to lie down - very rude of them, IMHO. What do they think they are, cats or something?

God - the cat isn't even allowed in the house! (Its a feral and wouldn't want to anyway). We have big rooms, all full of beds!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I do miss my Whippet. Newly married, in a small maisonette, he would jump on the bed in the middle of the night, burrow under the covers, get too hot, leave x 3!

That is the story of my life! They jump on the bed and burrow in, get too hot, pant a bit, get out and flop down like a dead weight, decide they want back in, stand over you giving you a hard stare until you lift the duvet and repeat. Floydy likes a little pillow for his head so either uses your body or has to dig about with the duvet until its just right. If they werent so utterly charming I'd throttle the pair of them. My OH works nights and I work days so theres a human in the bed quite a lot of the time so the lazy little sods rarely surface!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
We have 4 in the kitchen as the cats like to use the dog beds too. It is slightly ridiculous how many we have now I think of it. Then 1 enormous one in the living room as a hangover from when we had 2 dogs. Current dog prefers her blanket on the sofa and doesn't use the living room bed at all - spoilt mutt!

buddylove

Visit site
Just two beds for two dogs, in the utility where they sleep at night. In the living room they lie on the rug in front of the log burner, but don't get on the sofas, and they are not allowed upstairs. Occasionally the JRT will park himself on a kitchen dining chair, and when they're hot they flop on the stone kitchen floor.

StableMum

Visit site
Oh my goodness, this written down is going to look ridiculous.. I have one dog who has currently three beds in the living room, a squishy one next to my chair, a blanket by the patio door as it's cooler there when it gets hot and his very expensive Tuffies nest. He had a mat in the kitchen, a new soft nest in the bedroom and his old bedroom bed is now in the conservatory. I can honestly say he uses every one throughout the day.
At the moment he is happily snoring away on the carpet!

Chiffy

Visit site
Haha! Clodagh, wish I had seen this yesterday, I am much like you although I think my dogs are less fussy and demanding. I live alone in a large house so space is not a problem. I have a dog room where the dogs are shut at night and, while I have a new rescue settling in, if I go out in the day. Currently I have three dogs, there are four beds and a large crate in there.
In the kitchen there are three beds and a large sofa they are allowed on. Not allowed on furniture in the sitting room but they have three beds put out in the evenings that are stacked in a corner in the day. They often lay on the rug in front of the fire, get too hot and lie on the tiles in the hall. They don’t really mind which bed they sleep in and will sometimes get in together. They rarely go and sleep in a different room to me, they like to be with me and I like their company.