How many brakes do trailers have

scruffyponies

Visit site
It varies. My old Rice Beaufort is braked on the rear axle only, but a rice treble of the same age is braked on both axles.

All have brakes, since no loaded horse trailer is light enough to be legally towed without (I think that's 750kg).

Leo Walker

Visit site
It varies. My old Rice Beaufort is braked on the rear axle only, but a rice treble of the same age is braked on both axles.

All have brakes, since no loaded horse trailer is light enough to be legally towed without (I think that's 750kg).

This is an old Bahill, same brakes as the old Rice. I'll have to go and look later on and find out one way or another!

Leo Walker

Visit site
The Bahill should have 4. Only know as I used to have one and had to get the whole break system overhauled.

I'm replacing the whole lot on mine. I tried having them off to refurb, got as far as relining the brake pads and then realised the cost of doing that would be more than replacing them!

asmp

Visit site
And they melt if you leave the handbrake on and drive over 30 miles to pick up a new horse! Wondered what the smell was when I arrived at the horse's yard- put him on board and drove half way home when I noticed smoke in my rear view mirror. RAC man told me what I'd done (I thought car's turbo had gone). New horse, only 2 years old stood in the trailer happily on hay munching on hay while the lorries thundered past on the motorway.