How many buyers want a trial?

MagicMelon

Visit site
As title really - how many people demand a trial of a horse (ie. a week etc.) before buying a horse? Do you expect to be allowed it on trial or do you make sure you ask the seller in the very first phone call if they're willing?

Just that I do not offer a horse on trial (after a bad experience years ago) due to the risk involved. But Ive had the odd person in the past who've wasted my time coming to see the horse a few times and then said they want him on trial. I say no and they then say they'd never buy a horse without one. If they'd just said they'd want a trial from the very beginning I could have saved everybodys time! Im just wondering if I should say in the very first phone call that I dont offer a trial as it sounds a bit dodgy somehow!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I've never asked for a trial when buying or offered one when selling. I like to see the horse a couple of times and ask lots of questions, then its up to my judgement to see if they are suitable for what I want. If it were an expensive horse then I would get a full vetting and bloods taken as the only thing I would worry about is it being doped. Any changes in character in the first couple of weeks cannot be attributed to a bad horse, purely an unsettled and insecure one. Unless the trial was for 6 months and the horse proved incapable of doing what I wanted after that time - I think trials are a bit pointless!
crazy.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I wouldn't ask for a trial - however if it was offered would probably accept it.

The only exception to this would be as in the riding school post - unlikely I would ever go down that route again though.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I would have no problem someone having a trial of a horse I am selling however it would be on my terms. The person could come to the yard when I am there & could ride the horse under my supervision...basically just watching. They could come back another couple of times if they wanted to however I would never let them take the horse away. Someone can wreck a horse in just a week. If they don't want to go by those rules then they can look for another horse.

Rambo

Visit site
I bought from a dealer so got a 90 day exchange warranty included in the deal. I wouldn't personally bother asking for a trial under normal circumstances, and don't think i'd let my horse go away on trial if I ever sold. I might be willing to let the new owner come and ride him at my yard a few times before parting with any cash though
tongue.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I had my horse on trial for close to a month before we actually bought him. We paid a 10% deposit on him and took over the livery charges though.

It was a slightly different situation however... the lady selling mine used the same trainer I do. I already liveried with my trainer so the seller was quite happy to leave the horse there for the duration.

I am glad we could do it this way though. He was more money than we had ever remotely planned on spending and it was vital that we clicked. To be honest... it probably worked in the sellers favour too. I think we would have walked away if we'd had to spend that much without being sure he really was perfect for me.

lizstuguinness

Visit site
id never let my horses out on a trial...

when selling ive had endless amount of idiots with too much money that cant ride. i gentleman was concidering spending £8000 on a open horse, and he could only just do rising trot, his seat was so unbalanced it upset my horse who arched his back to throw a buck. it was only saved by me shouting at the horse who then backed down with a sheepish look on his face.

i rode the horse after the man had left and it took me an hour to re-settle the horse back down. and he was the most easy going gentle horse who's never bucked with me.

imagin the damage he would have done after a week.
besides you dont know what a horse is like after a week anyway.

trials are for the happy hackers who want absolutly everything perfect (as if there is any such animal). i dont know any competitive rider that fusses about minor issues that may arrise. as long as the horse does the job it was brought for thats all that matters. there are very few nutcases that are too difficult to ride or handle. most experinaced riders will just sort any problems out.

fairhill

Visit site
We let one horse go on trial - never again.

They were supposed to have him for a week, but returned him after the weekend and he was very traumatised. They'd kept him the whole time (TB ex-racer, 16 and blind in one eye) then were surprised when he was excited to be ridden.

We then sold him (with no trial) to another teenager, they returned him after a week - they had tried to ride him past a fairground/circus on his own, and he wasn't happy.
They shoved him in another horse's stable and camped out outside the livery owner's house until we could get up... And this was after we were selling him for peanuts...
It was an absolute nightmare for us, as well as the horse.

I think it takes horses at least 6 months to settle into a new home, and would never ask for one on trial. I don't think it's fair to judge them in such a short space of time. I would rather take my time trying the horse at it's own yard and revisiting it a few times.

dieseldog

Visit site
I have let my horse go on trial. But I have all the cash up front in case something happens. The horse was a complete saint so I knew nothing would go wrong on his side and he was only a £2k horse.

I wouldn't let my current one go on trial as he is worth a bit more than that, although if it was someone I knew I might consider it.

tuscanyD

Visit site
I would like a trial if I were buying - but accept the reasons why it might not be offered knowing how protective I am of my own mare.

I think if someone explained in the first phone call about no trial and why I would accept that - but I would hope that they might allow me to come and ride the horse from their own yard. Thats what I would do if I were selling - I'd allow them to come and groom, handle and ride etc as I feel its fair to expect that - but might suggest a deposit - refundable on purchase. Otherwise you get the freeloaders who'll pretend they want the horse for free riding.

As a buyer if no trial were offered or facilty to do the above I would be suspicious.

Troy1999

New User
Visit site
I had a bad experience in the past with a very good horse who I allowed someone to 'trial' and it all ended in tears (10yr ago).
I wholeheartedly agree with the comments that people can ruin a horse in less than a week.
My friend recently sold her horse due to going through treatment for cancer, the people that bought him came on one day, bought cash the next and took him UNVETTED- then after afew weeks rang her demanding she take him back claiming he was dangerous to handle.
I knew the horse well, and he was no world beater just happy hacker, my kids, her kids and husband had ridden/ handled him and he was never dangerous - abit dopey/slow maybe but nice person.
Anyway, they claimed having cancer as no excuse for not taking him back and said they had a right for 28days to change their mind! - and they wanted their full money back - she was a private seller for godsake!!!
My poor friend had to involve a solicitor at cost to herself to deal with these idiots.
She's still waiting to hear from their side what they actually intend to sue her for - it's been couple of months waiting now and nothing. But the nasty calls etc.. she had to endure were ridiculous.

Truth is, although there are alot of dodgey dealers/ private sellers - and perhaps as many honest people, there are as many unreasonable buyers - if not more - out there. Who seem to want a horse that does not exist - grand prix schooling etc... for £2500......get real.
Horses can change their character in new environments, new routine (or lack of), new handler/ incompetant handlers etc... many reasons they can start new behaviours. Just as frustrating as watching an inconsiderate rider blame the horse when riding, these people on the ground fail to see their own incompetatance too.

I would dread ever having to sell another horse again. Good luck to anyone currently trying to sell a horse.

My friend put on the bottom of her advert NO LOANS NO DEALERS which seemed to help with the 'can we trial him at ours for a week' questions.

clipclop

Visit site
I agree - NEVER LET A HORSE OUT ON TRIAL!

Well not to a stranger anyway.
Had a very charming family come and try out an old horse of mine. Ticked all he boxes. They had the trial period. I asked for the money and they told me that my horse was crap. "Fine"! I said "I will come and pick him up, Obviously not the horse for you"!! despite many phone calls and visits from me and said people were raving on about how great he was. He demanded a 12 month trial. I told him we couldn't do that. He just ranted.
Sooo, I spent that night worrying and the next evening we got a most fantastic heavy mob together. Gave the chap one last chance to be reasonable. He decided to fly off the handle and it was at that point that my very scarey heavy mob walked around the corner. Funnily enough he backed down and I got my horse and my tack back. Woohoooo.

I have however allowed friends to take horses and pay them off in installments and that has worked fine.

grin.gif

0ldmare

Visit site
Some sellers dont like the idea of allowing a trial because they worry about their horse being messed up, but I think a much larger number dont want to do it because they know that what they are selling is not as described. (but perhaps my experiences of sellers has made me a bit cynical) I would always ask for a weeks trial and see what the reaction is! However, it wouldnt necessarily put me off if they said no. But the buyer MUST pay up 100% of the money before the trial and it needs to be short ie about a week max.

KarenX

Visit site
I wouldnt let any of ours go out on trial but wouldnt mind if the buyers wanted to come back and try it a few times before making their minds up.
smile.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
My horse went on trial before I sold him. Its alittle different thoughas it was either going to continue as a loan or they were going to buy him. It was for 4 weeks (had I known they were definatly buying him would have just been 2) at their home and I could go over when ever I liked. There were many clauses written in a loan agreement of what she could and couldn't do with him. Week before trial was up they called to say they wanted to buy him and price was agreed with all equipment. Day before trial finished they called to say he was lame!! They had him vetted without informing me and got a different farrier to the one I usually have. Was sound the next day and deal still went ahead. However they knocked me down in price and gave me all the equipment back. I didn't really mind but I now have a stock of 7' rugs that will never fit my new horse. In hindsight I would prob not do this again. Would probably do a trial at my yard for no more than a week. It very stressful if you put a horse you are selling on trial as each time the phone rang I was convinced something had happened to him.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Last year I sold a 'quirky' little mare, but I was very careful not to let her go to the wrong people, and just 2 weeks ago sold my friends horse without a trial. What I did with both of them is say no to a trial but offered to meet them at a show centre or xc schooling place or go for a hack with them, that way they are getting ample opportunity to try out in different situations. The time wasters generally dont take you up on the offer and the genuine ones will offer to pay for transport to said location. I would only do trial to people I have known personally for a long time and then provided I liked them!
grin.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
None of our horses would ever go on trial - people have to learn to make up their minds. People can do what they want when trying them out but they do not leave our care. In fact we have turned people down buying our horses if we do not think they are suitable.
I would never ask for a trial and in fact rarely sit on them for more than 20mins and just know if I want them.

the watcher

Visit site
I have only ever bought one on trial, but circs were unusual in that she had been stood in a field for a long time, needed teeth doing and her back sorting, so I paid a deposit and took her for 3 months assessment, with the price fixed at the end of the term if she appeared to be coming right (she did!)
I tend to buy and sell among people I know, so it is different, the thought of travelling miles to make a decision on a horse I have never met before leaves me cold, I just couldn't do it. Similarly I would struggle to sell a horse to a stranger.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would never ask for a trial and in fact rarely sit on them for more than 20mins and just know if I want them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I sat on Bo for 5 minutes and popped him over half a dozen fences before deciding. Never went back for a second look or anything...just knew he was the right horse
shocked.gif

Wouldn't advocate this as the ideal way to buy a horse though, and in fact recently helped a friend to buy a new one and made her go back for 2 or 3 lessons on the horse before she committed to buy it
smile.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
I always ask for a trial - most people don't give one - had two on trial this year before bought Sid - one turned out to have shivers & one had sarcoids - both went back (in better condition than I got them!).

Now to the double standard - I would never ever give a horse on trial again - doesn't matter whether it was to my best mate or a complete stranger - selling my last horse this Mum & daughter begged and begged for a trial - named the yard they would take him too - I checked it out,all seemed kosher...said you can try for 3 days (take him to xcountry course, indoor & outdoor arena etc. as where I kept him was pretty basic)

Two days later horse was dumped back in stable with no notice (YO just found him there...) he was covered in cuts & scrapes & seriously lame...turned out they had done sacroiliac damage (vet suspected he had been turned over) and it took 16 weeks to get him right again....

You just never know how your horse will react to how someone else treats him or even their trailer (apparently my horse decided he wouldn't load and instead of ringing me to ask the best thing to do they rounded on him & tried to beat him in to the trailer.....)

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I think that it is a good idea to sell horses with a 3 week 'get out' clause - ie you take the money upfront, but they can return the horse with a full refund if they think they have made a bad decision. (Like a warranty)
Of course their should be a written agreement but it is a good way of ensuring that they will be really happy with their new equine friend and stops all of the 'being sold on to who knows where' if they dont suit their new owners.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I never ask for a trial BUT i did persuade a women at the yard to ask for one when she was buying a pony for her daughter.

The reason being is daughter had tried pony out and liked her even though she was completly different to her old pony. She decided to go back a second time and try pony out in the warm up ring of a local show.

Pony was a bit on its toes and it scared the daughter slightly and she didn't want to jump it. Daughter is usually a really good confident little rider and we knew that the pony was ideal but the mum was a bit worried she may loose her confidence.

We knew once she had ridden her a few more times she would be flying round on her she just needed a few more rides to get used to her so we suggested taking her on trial for a week.

As we already knew at the end of the week the daughter was flying over 3'6 with the pony without a care in the world and is now out winning on her.

Mum and daughter just needed a bit more reassurance and thats why we asked for the trial.

ladylisa

Visit site
we were selling a pony this year and the woman who was interested to buy wanted a trail we said no, so she decided she wanted to buy him and took him on the wednesday, on the friday a got a call to say she wanted to bring him back as he wasnt suitable! so we took him back (for his own good not for hers!) we didnt advertise him for another 4 months and then had another woman ask for a trial, eventually we said yes, so glad we did as it was a great place with great people and they decided to buy him. and we got to see him settle into his new home without worrying how he was!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
[ QUOTE ]

I think it takes horses at least 6 months to settle into a new home, and would never ask for one on trial. I don't think it's fair to judge them in such a short space of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially TBs, poor lad.
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Generally no I would not want a trial period - if I have any misgivings about any horse I am looking at buying - then I walk away.

I have given a couple of my horses out on Pre-purchase trials though. In Cloud's case I am soooo glad I didn't just sell her otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get her back when I realised they weren't going to take as good care of her as they had promised.

Trials CAN work both ways thankfully!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
So the general idea is no trials then? So Im not being dodgy saying that to people? Ive said it to one or two when I was selling my last horse and they almost looked shocked like it was the norm to get a trial and that I must be suspicious if I didnt allow it!

I too, have been on both sides - I had one horse on trial for a month before buying it (in that case I shouldnt have bought, dont know why I did!) simply because they offered it. The only time Ive actually asked for a short trial (as in a few days) was a horse I went to see some distance away - they didnt even ride it. She said that she didnt ride the horses and her rider wasnt working that day..... great, so I had to get on a totally stranger of a horse. The sand school was frozen solid as well so I couldnt jump, couldnt even do more than a few steps of trot really. So I was very limited with what I could do to see the horse in its full light. It was also very very quiet in the stable which made me wonder if it had been doped! She was happy about the trial, I said just a week but she offered 2. Called a couple of days later with date that horse was to be picked up but she THEN said "Sorry, someone else has been to see him and made an offer" so basically I had to up the offer or forget about it. I did end up taking the massive risk of buying him based on nothing! Luckily it turned out very well!

I allowed two of my horses out on trial - one a very safe schoolmaster who I loved to death so wanted to make sure he was happy in his home (they bought him in the very first few days), another who I drove 3 hours to his trial home (she had demanded it) only for her to have him 2 weeks and say she didnt want him because her horse dentist had said he had something wrong with his hips...... WHAT?!! Took her a further week to arrange transport back up again. When he arrived he had no travel protection at all, was hungry due to no haynet, thirsty and she'd given me back the wrong tack!! Took a further week to have his actual tack sent up. So the horse ended up not being ridden for a month during this hoo ha. Wouldnt do it again!