How many days before a show do you give your horse a bath?

rubyrumba

Visit site
I usually do it the day before but I am noticing that the day after the show the coat is much shinier!
Does anyone bath a couple of days before a show instead of the day before?
This is for a county show!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Hiya, yep for showing definatly at least 48 hours before if not 3 days if yours is quite a clean horse, much better shine and if youve got plaiting and quarter markers to do they go better on a slightly less clean coat, i just do legs and tail day before or morning if theyve got lots if while legs and like to lay in there pooh!! :)

Dancing Queen

Visit site
depends what shampoo you are using for the best results. i always bath the day before and rug/bandage up - and the following morning they may need a 'shower' if they have had a sleepless night because they have been so excited! xx

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have a grey, so the day before, and on the day :rolleyes: (although only hot clothing on the day to take off the stains - and another tail wash!)

With greys shine isn't as much of an issue though :)

rockysmum

Visit site
We have coloured so I would bath twice the day before and then again on the morning of the show.

Its the only way to really get rid of any stains.

My oldie who is bay I wouldn't bath at all. Partly because of his age. I use hot water and a dishcloth wrung out and rub it over his coat. It lifts the dirt and grease but keeps the shine.

Pheme

Visit site
It depends on the length of the horse's coat, I showed a bay horse who had very long coat hairs, and she was shiniest if bathed two or three days before the show, then spotcleaned and stain-removered to keep stains off because it took that long for her to produce enough coat oils to re-cover her hairs. My chestnut had very short, fine coat so I'd do him the day before and groom him plenty to stimulate redistribute the oils and make him shiny again. Chalk aerosols are a lifesaver for white legs :)

Suziq77

Visit site
I have a grey so ditto the bath on the day :(

Having agreed to plait a pony this weekend and arriving to find that her owner had literally just scrubbed her sparkly clean and pulled her mane to within and inch of its life I would like to mention that it is much harder to plait a mane when it is freshly washed and pulled very short. Ideally I like them washed 3 days before. I did get the plaits in eventually but used about 3 times the usual amount of thread!