How many horses do you own and what do you do with them?

ReadySaltedPeanuts

Visit site
A rainy day thread!!
As title really, How many horses do you own/loan/care for? And what do you do with them?

Pictures also appreciated as ever!

Also, as an extra question, those of you with horses on their own, what is their companion? If you have one..

Not talking about horses paddocked on their own, I mean horses that cannot see another horse..

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I own 3 but only have 2 with me atm, the third will be imported late this year. I am backing one (pony), the other is retired (pony) and am considering a 4th for a short term loan this summer. The one being backed will be ride and drive eventually, the import is only 2 but will be ridden and maybe driven at some point (if I like it!). The loan horse will be hacking and taking me on beach rides plus some schooling at home flat and jumps. I hate competing, so don't do that.

figgy

Visit site
I have two my big horse had to be retired at the age of 5 last year, so I went and got him a little 2year old play friend so they could be together forever so they do nothing but very happy being horse's .

3Beasties

Visit site
I own 3

a 18 yr old TB that is used for light hacking/schooling

a 6 yr old ISH that I try to stay on :p (althought hope to do a bit of everything on eventually!)

and a 14yr old Section A that really needs a rider!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have 3:

My semi-retired old cob who just hacks really now, but used to do a bit of TREC, occasional horseball and a lot of jumping.

My lightly backed 3.4 y/old highland who's just doing some very basic training.

And my rising 7 year old super-highland who does a bit of pretty much everything - from dressage to jumping to TREC (and more) who I'm hoping to do some endurance with in summer...

gratuitous pics:

13938_511127062897_1524601_n.jpg

315940_527556308557_1638316192_n.jpg

47792_551863486777_337507559_n.jpg

67927_551863531687_1770686474_n.jpg

5601_551265100947_1632390560_n.jpg

533236_550123259207_748434809_n.jpg

548482_537271808617_2042530371_n.jpg

383420_535127565697_611407275_n.jpg

We even do a bit of trick training / stunts... sometimes we even do it bareback *shock-horror*

67237_551642140357_940036554_n.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
3 and a half.
What do i do with them? Watch them empty my bank account with their appetites.

Haha Me too...and pick up their poo!

I do ride one when im not busy clearing up after them or working to afford them which is not all that often!

Out of interest whats your half!?

VixieTrix

Visit site
I just have Blue.

We did everything together when we were younger but now days a lot quieter.

I spend lots of time just with him :) In hand work, hacking out (in hand :p) and stuff in the school with poles etc just keeping him busy!

Take him to the odd show but not much around us :(

He has a young girl who rides Saturdays to have some fun. I hack out gently once / twice a week on him. (bit paranoid about my height on him as he's 23)

Em123

Visit site
I have two tbs retired and each others companions
Then I have a 12 year old self harming tb, an 8 year old tb who needs to start work after 2 years off and an 11 year old ID x who is my schoolmaster type!

TelH

Visit site
I have 7 ponies. A reg mini Shettie mare, a reg New Forest pony mare, a NF x Exmoor mare, a Welsh x Haflinger gelding, a Shetland x miniature horse mare and her 2 babies, 1 mare and 1 gelding who both have a sec A sire.
I do showing :)

Annagain

Visit site
I have one and a half. Archie is mine and does hacking, fun rides and the odd bit of dressage (and it is very odd dressage!). Monty's my share horse and we do a bit of everything at riding club level as well as the hacking and fun rides. Archie used to do the same but has foot problems, which is why I started sharing Monty.

Gypley

Visit site
I have 2:
19y/o family heirloom who's a happy hacker but my god has she still got it! I remember recently trying out an ex racer who hadn't yet been retrained. The lady said to me "you don't need to kick him
like you kick your cob" ... she obviously doesn't know my cob :D

2 1/2y/o shirex somthing coloured. He's an absolute monster and is already nearly 16hh. He will eventually take over from the old girl and be my hunter/allrounder.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I have 4, but 2 are out on permanent loan, so only have 2 to care for and ride.

I mainly do hacking, but plan to do some local competitions with them this year. My mare has only just started proper work so will be very low key, while my gelding will give anything a go- I've never known a horse be so happy to work.

skint1

Visit site
I have 3, but regularly care for 4 others.

Bella- 9yo ex racer what I mainly do with her is look at her and think "ahh, so pretty" sometimes daughter takes her on a light hack if she feels up to it

Basil- 13yo ex racer, my daughter's horse, he does a bit of everything and is a nice chap all round, except he gets a bit excitable on group hacks and fun rides

Maggie- 17yo IDx my horse, deserves a medal for having to carry me around, we mostly hack, she is also the go-to horse for boyfriends and other non-horsey people to ride as she is practically a saint.

I also care for Bella's friend Thyme, a chestnut TB mare, my daughter's old loan pony, 13hh Welsh B and Basil and Maggie's field mates, a Friesian x WB (I think) and a Belgian Warmblood mare.

I've always said that I prefer geldings but it has just occurred to me that of the 7 I regularly handle 5 are mares

AMH

Visit site
I have three -
1) a thoroughbred broodmare who will hopefully go back in foal this year (when she finally comes into season!)
2) her 2yo filly who is destined to go hurdling next year (fingers crossed) and 3) another 2yo KWPN filly which I bred out of a friend's amazing mare - I@m currently just watching her to see how big she gets, and hope to start doing some groundwork when the weather finally improves

Girlracer

Visit site
Just the one, and 8yo thoroughbred who does a bit of everything and we have lot's of fun! Would love to do BE one day though when funds/transport allow!

HashRouge

Visit site
I have one, a 20 yr old Arab mare. She's more or less retired atm, and I can't afford two, so we just do lots of long reining and walking out in hand. She's a great little mare, lots of fun even though she can't be ridden! She's my childhood pony, so my parents bought her for me when I was 11, and now I'm 23 and she's not going anywhere. This is her with my little sister a few years ago, when her joints were a bit healthier!

039-1.jpg:original

Lolo

Visit site
None, but Al competes one (Reg) BE100/ PC Intermediate and might consider a move to PC Open this season and Bee was aimed at 80cm/ 90cm ODEs this season with the veiw of her being a bit awesome at the whole eventing game, but the vet is coming at 3:30 to see her as she is in considerable discomfort today, poor girl.

Polos Mum

Visit site

1 - old boy out on loan, being spoiled and doing the occasional hack now and again
1 - ex eventer who thinks he's properly retired now but sadly for him just some time off while I'm preggers - usually he's out competing low level stuff
1 - companion pony on loan to me from a charity

The two at home can currently be seen sunbathing ! I think the'd forgotten what the sun looked like!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I own three - one is currently in training to race this summer, one is due to foal in the next fortnight and the other is a retired racehorse that I ride/plan to do something (anything!) with in the future.

OH has twelve (my adopted Scottish ponies) - five broodmares and seven racehorses (only one in training at present - three are youngstock and the others are being allowed to mature).

soltydog

Visit site
I have 4
The most fab fjord pony we do lots of pleasure rides I have done a couple of hunter trials on her as well, she is as safe as houses and lots of fun.
picture.php

Also her son pictured with her who is rising 4 so just started hacking him out.

Then Sebastian who is 6 we do lots of hacking, pleasure rides and we have done one show. He is just going out on loan so i can concentrate on Bailey
picture.php

Also the lovely lilly who is rising 3 I bought for my foster daughter.
picture.php

Last edited:

DW Team

Visit site
Currently have 12 and one over due
2 general riding horses
1 young unbacked 6 year old
3 broodmares (1overdue 2 not in foal this year)
3 yearling
2 two year olds
1 KWPN stallion (bred to jump and does but due to jockeys injury been doing very well in dressage)

Am sadly selling all bar two due to failing health I can't go on anymore. Time to hang up my pitchfork!

Last edited:

Madam Min

Visit site
We have 2. Chloe-dark bay, 15.1hh, Anglo Arab x, 14 year old mare, we mainly do dressage and bit of show jumping and OH's horse Amber-chesnut 6 year old, reg Sec A ISH mare, they are just starting out as a partnership proving successful in both show jumping and dressage :)
picture.php

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I have five ponies, three mini shets and two Dartmoor hill, and one gypsy cob. The ponies are at home, play in the paddocks and make a mess in the stables. The Gypsy cob is at livery. She is 20-plus and I don't ride her any more because she tends to trip and I'm on warfarin and can't take risks!

Enfys

Visit site
Way too many. At least 10 of my own, that I will admit to. Then 12 boarders as well. Good thing I don't have a job.

Enfys

Visit site
Mainly QH, APHA, appys, ancient arab, and a paso that I will be showing and doing Xtreme cowboy racing with. Not as exciting as it sounds, just glorified handy pony actually.

Pipkin

Visit site
I have 3, OH has 3, I look after all six though :rolleyes: :p

Mine

Ayla, 15.2 PBA 6 yr old, currently out of work due to EHV-1 and Uveitis :(

Ellie aka GW (ginger witch) 16hh grump chestnut evil ID x cob, backed in Dec so just pottering about for now

Tilly - 2 year old welshie who just eats alot

OH
Roxy , built like a brick **** house CB, 7 yo, keeping Ayla company :rolleyes:

Danny, 15.2 cow pony, rising 4 so also just pottering about for a bit, I'm not a huge fan because he's a) male b) far too stupid

Meg yearling welshie who again just eats/escapes/causes havoc :D