How many 'main' bits do you have?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Chico is ridden all the time in a NS verbindend loose ring, but i only have one of these bits, so if i want to change bridle i have to swap the bit over etc.

I have a couple of other bits too but not ones i am currently using with him.

I was wondering how many of your 'main' bits you have. Do you have multiples of the same bit or do you just use one and swap it over to different bridles?

monkeybum13

Visit site
By default I tend to use a loose ring with either a lozenge or a french link so have a few of theses.
Currently at the yard I have a lozenge on her ridden bridle and a french link on her in hand bridle which was used for walking out in hand, I have far too much tack and am too lazy to go fiddling around with removing reins!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I have two. BH has the same bit on two bridles, one for everyday and one for shows, so I don't have to swap it over on show days :)

TheoryX1

Visit site
We have a pretty extensive selection at home,all tried and discarded - really must get them on ebay. Mini TX's mare is ridden in a simple KK loose ring snaffle for flatwork and hacking, and a simple Myler full cheek snaffle with cheek hooks for jumping and xc. I use a simple KK loose ring snaffle on my cob, and also a pelham, as he can be quite strong when going out for a bit of a hooley. but thats all really

dumpling

Visit site
4 main Ones-

Loose ring jointed snaffle- most popular.
Hanging cheek snaffle- don't use so much nowadays
Dutch gag- only used if doing fast work
Double set, Weymouth and bradoon- for showing.

He has a working bridle and his showing bridle.

Ella19

Visit site
Indie has

NS Universal for everything bar schooling and dressage comps
NS Team Up for dressage and schooling

I have to use the universal as although not gernally strong she does have her moments and with some loss of use of my right shoulder and arm I can't hold her if she wants to go!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have been collecting bitsfor forty years and must have over fifty the ones I use the most are various neue schule snaffles and kk ultras a Waterford ,a myler snaffle myler Pelham a pessoa magic bit ( curved with rollers) a Liverpool (various types ) a Wilson snaffle jointed and straight the last two because I drive as well
The rest are decoration the thing is everytime I think of selling any I look at them and remember the old friends that used them and I just can't.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
My bit collection isgetting rather extensive, but don't use a lot of them very often!

My 'main' bit for Fabio is his PeeWee and use this for schooling and most hacking. If we're in company hacking then i put his waterford in as he can get a bit bolshy when following.
For jumping i usually use a full cheek lozenge link with a gackle, if he's feeling a bit more energetic then i use a NS elevator for a bit more control. I have just got an Informed Design Mullen snaffle which i'll try tomorrow and 'hopefully' this will be our dressage bit if he gets on with it as the PeeWee isn't dressage legal!

Freddy is usually in a happy mouth lozenge link hanging cheek for everything. We may need to adjust that for XC but will see how he goes when OH takes him!

redredruby

Visit site
I have a fench link loose ring snaffle which I use for flatwork and a cheltenham gag which I use when hacking, jumping, hunting etc.

I only have one bridle so am regularly changing bits over....a tad time consuming but haven't got round to buying a second bridle!

PingPongPony

Visit site
I have 3 bits that i use the most, the same mouthpiece just different rings, i have a 4 ring gag for xc and hacking in autumn/winter and beggining of spring, 3 ring gag for xc and hacking end of spring/summer/end of autumn and a wilkie for schooling and show jumping. Anything new and potentialy exciting is either 4 ring gag if the colder part of year or 3 ring gag if the warmer part of year :)

Rosie'smum

Visit site
Rose has a dutch gag for jumping, xc and hacking with others or fast hack on our own.
I have a copper lozenge loose ring snaffle ive started to use mainly for schooling, although have also got a loose ring snaffle with a loose port where a lozenge would be. Think shires call it there 'training bit'

Have started school back in her gag for the time being as after awhile with a snaffle she starts to ignore it specially if doing canter work.

blood_magik

Visit site
Jerry has two and a separate bridle for each.

The loose ring snaffle is on my patent dressage bridle and the pelham is on my hunter bridle :)

I think I have a few different snaffles lying about.

debsg

Visit site
Jasmine has one - a Myler comfort snaffle.
Blaze has two - a Waterford for hacking/flatwork and a medium port Western reining bit, which I use for fast work/jumping. She is built like a tank and really strong when jumping.

KSR

Visit site
I have several bits but usually ride bitless.. All of mine that are ridden have been bitted and are happy schooling in French link snaffles or Myler comfort snaffle

wildflower

Visit site
We use 2 bridles with different bits, one is a pelham for fast work and jumping, the other is a hanging cheek snaffle for dressage and shows and schooling/hacks .......had to buy another bridle got sick of changing the bits over:rolleyes:

Enfys

Visit site
3 main bits (2 curbs and a D ring snaffle) permanently on the bridles, I just change the bridles over as and when. My bridles fit everything, no horse has a set bridle.

Spotsrock

Visit site
L one bit one bridle. S one bit one bridle. New stronger bit stored ready for hacking as safety device. B 3 bits 4 bridles. French link snaffle for everyday and quiet hack. French link gag for show jumping. French link wilkie for fast hacking and xc.

Chestersmummy

Visit site
I'm lazy and just do everything in a dutch gag.
I should really use his french link snaffle for schooling but I just grab the first bridle I come to which is always the dutch gag with flash noseband. I just usually adjust the reins on different holes depending on what I'm doing.

I will start riding more in the snaffle when we move yards tomorrow.

PolarSkye

Visit site
For most work . . . hacking, on the flat, etc., Kal wears a french link snaffle and he is very soft in his mouth. He has jumped in this bit and behaved beautifully. However, for cross country or jumping with my daughter (who is incredibly dear to me) he wears a Waterford . . . it isn't a terribly severe bit but it does make him sit up and listen that bit more in front of fences . . . and Em (my daughter) has lovely soft hands so . . .

Kal's history means that he tends to rush his fences and jump really flat . . . the waterford just makes him pay attention that bit more . . .

P

lizijj

Visit site
Full cheek lozenge snaffle for all horses in every day use, full cheek waterford for hunting/cross country. Butterfly bit on driving ponies. Hate to see kids nowadays using so much iron in a ponies mouth. Our friends in the states always start their roping horses in a snaffle, and only have a spade bit when really well schooled - like spurs, are only used on experienced horses by experienced riders. I took our kids from school to a schools showjumping comp, and couldn't believe there were youngsters allowed to compete with a gag, martingale and spurs! Get them off and teach them to ride properly!