How many of you would...

dominobrown

Visit site
...Sell are horse once it has be diagnosed with a career ending etc condition.
I recently had it happen to me, foolishly thought they were nice people, send me a horse to sell which turned out they had claimed loss of use on, complete wreck basically and could no longer be anything other than a light hack,, didn't tell me this, had to pass the horse on to a friend of afriend and have £900 in unpaid livery due to their lies etc.

But scrolling through horse ads today there is a hell of a lot of people disclosing (at least they are honest), sslling horses that have been diagnosed with navicular, arthritis and other conditions that are only going to get worse, or the horse being not quite right, lame at tike of sale etc. Yes they are cheap horses, and any mare depsite these possibly genetic issues and no breeding are all advertised as broodmares too.

Anyways, the reason I am looking for project ponies as my lovely event horse is lame, and has been to the vets and has to have 6 months off (side bone with a tiny chip, sound on left rein, sound in straight line, ever so slighlty lame on right). Now I could pop up a flashy advert of him going round a huge Novice B.E track and sell him for £1500 as a schoolmaster who is "not quite right, but might come right".
How can people do this?! I couldn't sell that horse that uas given me so much for love nor money, and he is currently out with the youngsters showing them the ropes.
Most of these horses only end up in one place... would you do it?

jj_87

Visit site
could not do it at all! I couldnt bear the thought of a horse being passed from pillar to post.or buted up and sold on to some unsuspecting buyer!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's a lack of ethics!

You (and I) obviously have a feeling of responsibility to the horses in our care, others don't and they don't feel any sense of moral duty to potential buyers, when they don't disclose fully the probable cost/prognosis of taking on a horse which is 'not quite right'.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
As long as the horse can be re routed to a less demanding career and the new owners are fully aware of the horse's vet history and prognosis, then it can work. Eg a SJer or eventer who can no longer handle the big tracks but would be happy doing some low level UA stuff.

Though I'm a control freak and would loan out in those circumstances :).

Abacus

Visit site
There are degrees of 'not quite right'. I decided to sell my horse who has slight hock arthritis, advertised him honestly and not expensively, because he still can do a job (all vets who have seen him are agreed on this). He is still eventing to a decent level, albeit on supplements (but not bute) and hock injections (which haven't been needed for a year and possibly won't be again). I didn't do this for the money or to be rid of him - actually for other reasons; he's not quite the right horse for me but might be for someone else. If he was right for me I'd happily have kept him and dealt with further issues, including long-term retirement if ever necessary. I had a lot of interest and two reasonable offers - however decided instead to let a friend's daughter have him on loan for a year while her horse is broken.

Was I wrong to consider selling him? I don't think so - both homes he might have gone to would certainly have been lower impact in terms of work, both were known to me via other friends and the buyers knew everything and had access to the full history. If for their own reasons he might have suited them, I can't see a problem with it.

Kikke

Visit site
I suppose it depends. If a horse can't show anymore due to a blemish but is otherwise perfectly capable why not sell it if you can't use it to do what you wanted it for. If it can't jump but would be a very nice low level dressage schoolmaster why not sell it at such. If you are honest about it I don't see the problem. But if my my much loved horse can't compete anymore and is of a certain age I wouldn't sell it and just retire it.

Woah

Visit site
I don't know depends - take arthritis , likely end to a competitive or otherwise demanding life, but may well be suited to a quieter low level life as a happy hacker. Gentle Exercise is actually beneficial in most cases of arthritis like people isn't it? So actually as long as up front about it could mean the horse gets a more suitable home.

Annagain

Visit site
I have a 22 year old whom I could have sold as a happy hacker 11 years ago when it was clear he wouldn't be able to do the (fairly low level) riding club stuff I had bought him for 2 years previously (I'm 95% sure sellers knew this and he was probably buted for the vetting). I couldn't do it though. He has the stoic sort of temperament that would lead to people trying to jump him and he would either get worse or he'd stop, they would get hurt and he'd be passed on. I was very lucky and got to share my best friend's horse in the stable next door and found some lovely sharers who are happy to just hack him but even if I hadn't I'd still have him because he's my responsibility and it's not his fault he has dodgy feet. When I made the decision, I definitely didn't think he'd still be here 11 years on but the quieter life has really suited him, he's doing brilliantly for his age and I love every melanoma riddled inch of him.

dominobrown

Visit site
I think showing is a prime example where its ok... i.e the last horse I bought has a slight dish and a little curb... was homebred by a showing producer so no good for high level showing... excellent for eventing though.
I think its more when its something quite sinister and its easy for people to 'promise' not to jump it or take it to a high level, but end up doing it anyways and then properly 'breaking' the horse as well as inflicting uneccesary pain and stress on the horse...

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I couldn't do it as I just couldn't live with myself if the horse was passed on and I had no control of their fate, if I couldn't keep the horse myself I would rather pts at least I would know the horse is not being abused or neglected.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It surely depends on the circumstances. I sold a quarter horse whose arthritis meant she shouldn't do dressage, but had the potential to be someone's trail horse for many years to come. Horse was happy, new owner was happy, and I was happy. Of course, you don't know what happens once you sell the animal, but that's horses.

Obviously it's dodgy to sell something unridable or with serious issues as sound but I'd rather try to rehome a horse that could potentially make someone happy rather than euth it. No one would ever have old schoolmasters if people put down horses that were no longer able to do a discpline at the level the owner wanted, but could do other stuff.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Selling a horse who has been subject of a LOU without disclosing it is very very dishonest .
I don’t understand why he was not branded.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
It's a lack of ethics!

You (and I) obviously have a feeling of responsibility to the horses in our care, others don't and they don't feel any sense of moral duty to potential buyers, when they don't disclose fully the probable cost/prognosis of taking on a horse which is 'not quite right'.

Completely agree. Not just with horses either. There are some foul people in this world that would sell their grandmothers if they could.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have never sold a horse so if they have any problems they stay with me until their quality of life is not good, which means i spent quite a bit of time not riding as i could never afford to keep 2....i dont understand how people can sell a horse with problems , i understand if the horse is put out on loan but once it is sold you have no control on what happens. it could be lucky and get bought by a caring person or it could be sold on many times ....

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Nope ………… never!

Your likely to see it back on the market being sold as sound. If it could be used then I would loan, if not I would ( if I could) retire or semi retire. I currently have a semi retired old man and a retired younger horse. I’m lucky I can keep them on my own land. I could have sold Kevin, a bit of a boot camp and he would have preformed at any viewing but he would have soon reverted to bolting , because he is in pain. He would have been past from pillar to post. No that’s not good enough.

People need to deal with their own problems, not pass them on. I would rather pts. There are worst things in life for a horse than being dead!

AlDestoor

Visit site
I've sold two horses in my life time.

One was recently- She was my mums and had become a field ornament and was too much of a good horse to just sit there. Advertised honestly and vetted home etc.

Second one was a few years back- he was a terrific horse but too much for me. I had him from a foal and sold at 5. He went to competition home which was needed for him really.

Bearing in mind I've had a number of horses over the years, I would never sell because they couldn't do a job. They are my family and I would retire and turn out. They deserve that at the least.

asmp

Visit site
I did sell pony with laminitis but only for £1. He had been up for sale before he got it as my daughter had lost interest. I was about to have him PTS as I didn't have the remedial facilities at the yard I was at (I.e. bare paddock) but a lady who had shown interest in buying him said she'd take him on. Sadly, she got him over the laminitis but he was PTS a year later due to liver failure.

When I first read this post, I thought "of course I wouldn't" but then remembered the above. It also makes you think about all the horses that are sold on when they're in their 20s, especially when they've been in the same home for most of their lives.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Have never sold a horse. I sadly am about to PTS a 11yr old who I bought at 3 un started he is now field lame with arthritis never really having done anything as he has been on self destruct since I got him. No idea why he has arthritis but he has. Hopefully I will be able to find something I can actually ride when he is gone. Has not been ridden in 4 years due to constantly being damaged well when he is sound I am not and vice versa.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Have never sold a horse. I sadly am about to PTS a 11yr old who I bought at 3 un started he is now field lame with arthritis never really having done anything as he has been on self destruct since I got him. No idea why he has arthritis but he has. Hopefully I will be able to find something I can actually ride when he is gone. Has not been ridden in 4 years due to constantly being damaged well when he is sound I am not and vice versa.

so sorry to read this. must be soul destroying to have your dreams dashed like that. you are doing the right thing by him but very hard for you. hope all goes well and eventually you find another to love...

Michen

Visit site
Nope couldn’t do it and it meant I was forced to keep my youngster as couldn’t sell him on knowing he had had issues even with the all clear from vet. Worked in my favour as he’s fabulous now and would be worth a decent chunk on the open market though he’s certainly not for sale.

flying_high

Visit site
I think things are rarely clear cut. And whilst I would shoot before sell my older rehab horse, as he is too complex, and the person with enough understanding, finances and skills wouldn’t chose him without knowing him fully, I am in his debt, but he isnt in anyone else’s. BUT I think it is wrong to always think cannot sell or rehome even broken complicated or quirky. I have sold two horses who were complicated, with full disclosure and trials, who have gone on to really blossom in new homes. But it was a very careful and planned and tested undertaking, where profit wasn’t priority versus finding them a good long term place. I have seen horses with known physical issues being bought with full disclosure and going on to be very happy in new homes with different work level expectations.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I wouldnt do it personally but I have had it happen to me. I was gifted a warmblood who was saved from being PTS, he was lame prior but they said it was due to poor farriery whilst at sales livery. He was sound when I got him but was never quite right. He was ok enough to compete as was sound but at the same time I just had a very slight feeling that something wasn't quite right. He became lame and slowly got worse, all vet checked suggested it was mechanical due to his conformation which had finally screwed his legs. The horse had amazing bloodlines, was the highest quality horse I could have ever dreamt for. I loaned him out as a gentle hack for a while (he enjoyed it) but always with the proviso he was to come back to me to retire. I kept him as (as a very expensive field ornament) until I sadly lost him in the end due to a stable accident. I couldnt bear to have sold him, he had been passed around it sounded like and he didnt deserve it. He deserved a decent retirement.

My gelding had a career ending injury a few years ago. Much to the surprise of the vet, he did actually become sound enough to ride. He could easily have been sold as a hack but he is the horse of a lifetime who owes me absolutely nothing as he has given me everything.

At the end of the day, if the horse was older and depending on the injury/problem then I wouldn't sell on, Id retire. But if the horse was young and the injury meant it could have several years doing a job (hacking etc.) that I didnt want to do then Id consider selling.

Visit site
No, my own horse's are with me for life. My main horse is now 19 and arthritic but still enjoys his hacking. I very much enjoyed our many years of Show Jumping and Hunting and would love to be out there this Season flying over whatever was in our path but I have accepted he is no longer able to do it, and I cannot afford another horse to Hunt as well at the moment as well as him and my retired mare. I couldn't ever sell him because he is part of the family, not just a horse and I owe it to him for the years of fun he has given me.

Bernster

Visit site
Not yet been in this position but agree with those who say it’s not clear cut and depends. I can see that a horse with minor or manageable ailments could find a happy home elsewhere. I tend to have horses that have a ‘job’ to do with me even if it’s not very strenuous. But equally if I wasn’t able to secure a good future for them or it was a more serious issue, I wouldn’t sell on. Hence why my mare is enjoying the life of Riley being looked after by Aus!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would only sell after a loan of at least a year. I had a disaster selling a horse with spavin and had to rescue him looking like a skeleton, and I was given a horse which had been sold as a light hack, sold on as a show jumper, and had to be recovered. Too many stories of horses ending up in the wrong place for me ever to risk it again.

Bernster

Visit site
On the flip side, just remembered years ago someone I know bought an ex sj for £1 after it had broken a leg. Recovered by that point but wasnt up to its previous job. It went on for many happy years doing low level stuff.