How many people have done this?

horsegirl

Visit site
Knocked themsleves out when they fall off? My daughter fell of on Thursday, hit the wall in the indoor school and was unconscious for a couple of mins. She is OK but I was wonderng whether this has happens a lot?

Madam_max

Visit site
Yep, I have . Jumping.
blush.gif

BBs

Visit site
Only once have i knocked myself clean out! when my horse rolled on me back in 1993 breaking my jaw in 4 places in the process!

But no i dont think its a common occurance.

Hope your daughter is recovering well.

Vxx

horsegirl

Visit site
I called an ambulance and we spent all evening in A&E as when she did come round she could not remember how old she was, what her school is called and other stuff and I was really worried. She is fine now.

TGM

Visit site
It's happened to me twice. Once was when I was about 10 at a riding school, and more recently last year out on a hack. I don't remember what happened at all but think the horse flung her head up and cracked me in the face. Had bad concussion and they kept me in hospital all day for observation
crazy.gif

katiejaye

Visit site
Yup, my last horse reared in the school, I slid off the back and hit the back of my head on the wall (the only bit not completely covered by my hat!) and got knocked out. Ended up with concussion, bruising around my skull and an ear full of blood...nice!

Kelly1982

Visit site
My friend did that at a show once when we was about 15yo. She couldn't remember untacking her horse, putting her rug on or anything. It scared the hell out of me as i was the only one with her at the time.

I called her dad in tears and he came rushing back to the show. She was fine after a while though but refused to go to hospital.

horsegirl

Visit site
Well I'm happy to hear it happens to others (not happy they have been knocked out but you know what I mean) I was in such a panic at the time. It did make me think though as many nights I ride there on my own, what would happen if I knocked myself out and there is no-one else around? I suppose my Husband would wonder where his dinner was eventually!

Alibear

Visit site
Yep done it 4 times now , in fact have created a bit of a problem where I'm more likely than most to be knocked out and suffer concussion for any bash to my head hence giving up jumping.

I have also completely lost my memory twice , first time for 24 hours the next for a few days which was horribly scary and it didn't all come back.

Hence I don't jump any more.
grin.gif

Ps Did she have a pony tail in? Thats what got me the first time as the band pressed into the nape of my neck and it was night night world.
blush.gif

Gingerbird

Visit site
I did while X Country schooling years ago. I was out for a couple of minutes. Came round but it took a while for my body to catch up, I felt like I had someone holding down all my limbs. I kept yelling at people apparently to 'get that horse off of me'!

horsegirl

Visit site
She usually has her hair tied up so I will see if she remembers. A lump came up the next day on her forehead so I think the peak pressed the hat into her head at that point

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Ive knocked myself out numerous times. Most notably was when I smashed my ribs, and the other time I was airlifted.
When I was airlifted I started to come round in the helicopter, was trying to tell the medic I was going to be sick (huge helmet on), and all he did was put his thumbs up at me. Was terrifying, couldnt move anything in the back board, didnt know whether id broke my back or not. Had X rays and everything was ok, couldnt look up or right for about 6 weeks though.

vanessahook

Visit site
I wasn't knocked out but had a 8 foot rail off a fence pulled down on the back of my head(too difficult to explain exactly how it happened but involved horse with head through fence pulling back!!). I thought i had been shot cos it happened behind me and found myself on the floor surrounded by horses. Got up and carried on and then apparently i walked off the yard back to my house and got into bed saying i was very tired and it was time to sleep!!!!
My colleagues luckily realised i had gone and dragged me up the hospital, bad concussion had to lie flat on my back for 3 days!!! Its strange what happens after a knock to the head!

rema

Visit site
Yep.Well not riding but being around horses.when Flint was a 7 month old foal he was in a big pen with his friend.The bottom door was one of the metal farm doors (that you see on modern farm buildings) and the top door was a heavy wooden slatted door that was up on a chain (flat against what would of been a ceiling).well i went in to feed them both when flint lifted his head pretty quickly and knocked the top door off its chain which then proceded to pendulam into my face.It knocked me clean off my feet (And im no lightweight).It must of been a big bang because the yard owners husband who was clearing muck in the tractor with the radio blaring heard the impact.I was out for a couple of minutes and yes i saw stars and birdies.I still have a huge lump on my forehead 6 years later.But you know what they say 'No sense no feeling'.
grin.gif

izzyxxx

Visit site
yep i av fallen off and knocked my self out the only time i have ever fallen off galloping and the first time falling off izzy lol my falt really didnt check the girth and my mare was very wide at that time so saddle slipped alot so underneith her belly i went dropped down and she clipped my head i can remember standing up and thinking i had go blind and that i had dropped my whip but the next thing i know my m8 is there with out horses shouting my name first time i have ever been unconsious i was so happy lol

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Yes, once a couple of years ago when i went xc schooling with previous horse, apperently he napped to sisters pony as i was taking him over a small log.
Mum wasn't sure what to do in the sense that i was 15 or 16 and my sister was about 14 at the time. She thought about ringing an ambulance but then would have to decide what to do with the horses whether to take them home then go to the hospital or leave sister with the horses. Or would she drive to the hospital with the horses, in the end mum decided it would be quicker to take me to the doctors at the RAF base where dad worked and where the horses were kept.
It took most of the day for me to come round and be aware of what was going on but had no idea what happened. I only know now based on what mum has told me.

Hope your daughters ok? And don't worry it doesn't happen that often.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
a couple times for seconds only and once for a few minutes although my body recovered quicker than my head! I fell off XC schooling at one end of the field, the next thing I know I'm at the other end of the field being given a leg up and saying yes i'm fine etc. at a guess i lost a few minutes memory but was only out cold for a matter of seconds. never did go to hospital on that occasion just got straight on and finished the schooling session! that may explain a few things though...............

horsegirl

Visit site
She was fine after a couple of hours, although the hospital had put a needle in her arm which was fine while she was so woozy but then they had to take it out and she has a horror of needles and went all white and faint again and had to lie back down. How long did it take you to regain your confidence after the fall? She has ridden since but only in walk so far and I don't want to push her.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I went for an interview at a livery yard, and the woman asked me to ride one of her horses, a youngster she'd broken and was bringing on, whom I coped with quite well, so she wanted me to ride her other horse - an enormous mare that she hunted. I'd never in my life seen, much less ridden, something like this monster and it took off with me, round and round the menage like a dervish until I hit the deck. I saw stars and tweety birds, but I don't think I was unconscious...

I didn't get the job