How many rugs?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I've just bought a new horse and wonder if anyone can tell me how many rugs and what types I will need to get? He is a KWPN with a fine coat. My last horse was a Mountain & Moorland so I managed with one m/w turnout rug and a cooler for everyday use. Thanks for any advice.

smirk.gif

RachelB

Visit site
Also... do you (like a few on here) have an obsession with buying unneccesary rugs? Or are you likely to develop one?
I'm guilty... my thick-skinned ID X has four turnouts, a stable rug and a handful of coolers, and I haven't even had her for a winter yet!
crazy.gif

Anyway before seeing your answers to the above essential questions posted by DD, I'd say as a guide a light turnout, a medium turnout, a light stable rug, a medium stable rug, and a cooler. If you get half way through winter and he gets chilly, try layering, or if that doesn't work you can then start buying more, heavier weight rugs. I always start with those five as a basic wardrobe for a part stabled horse (but then my obsession takes over...!)
smile.gif

Edited to say that I did write this before you posted the answers to DD's questions!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thank you RachelB. I don't exactly have an obsession with rugs but I used to end up buying new ones to replace the "old" ones quite quickly as my mare used to be pretty hard on her rugs.

That said, this is a new horse and he came with nothing so I am tempted to spoil him and he looks so handsome in purple and blue!

RachelB

Visit site
That's my problem, my horse looks lovely in the pink Amigo rug she came with... and now she looks lovely in the blue tartan turnout I bought her... and she'd look lovely in a purple FAL rug... and a nice Thermatex...
crazy.gif

I just wish I had some money! Please enjoy rug shopping for me!
grin.gif

Visit site
I love buying rugs and so the list is endless
tongue.gif
but for the basics (for the winter anyway) you will need a heavy weight stable rug, a light weight stable rug (for milder nights) a fleece cooler, a heavy weight and a light weight turn out rug. x

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I would not bother with a heavy weight stable rug. IMO a medium, a light weight and a fleece are adequate as all can be mixed and matched to suit the temperature. If you horse is cold at all buy a cheap double duvet to use as an under rug, much cheaper than proper rugs.

I tend to only use medium weight turn outs and my horses are hunter clipped. If it is really cold they wear a fleece underneath and a neck cover. I prefer turn out rugs with detachable neck covers as I find these a more flexible option.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thanks Pugs_Pal. All advice gratefully received!

RachelB I have already made a start on the rug shopping with a lovely turnout rug but unfortunately I got the wrong size as I hadn't measured very well because the new boy didn't like my tape measure and danced around the stable which must have addled my brain when it came to converting inches to feet and inches. Oh well, at least I get the chance to go back to the tack shop and I might see a nice fleece cooler whilst I'm there as well!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thanks MrsT. I was advised against a neck cover as I was told that they would rub his mane. Only had one rug for old mare with neck cover and she quickly ripped the neck cover so I never bothered again.

I see you're from Leics. I am in Yorkshire now but from Leics originally.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I have not had any of the removable neck covers rub manes, the ones I find the worst are the combi rugs, many of them have seams that would appear to be the mane rubbing culprit.

Now living in Leics but I am originally from Northumberland. What part of Leics were you from?

mandy4727

Visit site
No matter how hard you try. You will never have enough rugs. Will she???? I have 21 rugs and 2 horses!!! Work that one out!!!. You just keep buying them cos they are there or in the sale. My OH was complaining last night cos the horses have 20+ rugs and he only has 1 coat!!! Well that is his choice. Seriously about 5 should be enough. 1 lightweight and 1 heavyweight turnout and 1 of each stable rug, with perhaps an under rug and then a cooler. Whoopssssssss that is 6!!! See how easy it is to get so many?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
MrsT, I lived in various bits of Leics but was born and brought up in a village in North West Leics, close to Ashby de la Zouch. My parents still live in the same house so I go back quite often. I learned to ride as a child in Charnwood Forest. Which bit are you in?

Margo, thanks for that. OHs are all the same in my experience always moaning that you treat your horse(s) better than you treat them. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be??!!!

Ginn

Visit site
My girl has a l/w, m/w and h/w turnout, a large selection of fleeces, a big wool blanket rug thing (sooo toasty) and all my nans spare duvets and old blankets (and a mum who is a genius with a sewing machine!) She'll be out 24/7 unclipped and on the odd occasion she does come in I'll layer up on the fleeces/blankets/duvets and may invest in a l/w stable rug but as she's still growing may make do this year and get some nice ones next year!

JessPickle

Visit site
I have 8 rugs and he is out in the summer in at night in winter. He has a l/w m/w h/w turnout 1 cooler, 1 L/w stable one M/w stable one h/w stable