How many times do you like to view a horse before buying?

zoelouisem

Visit site
As title how much would you want to see try ect and at what point to you think it goes from been sure and wasting someone's time?

nato

Visit site
At least twice - but you need to be 100% sure after the second viewing. Go a third time if there's anything you're unsure of.

A decent seller won't mind you coming back multiple times to view.

Starbucks

Visit site
I'm a bit slap dash when buying horses. So once! Not really advisable though.

I think I would get fed up of someone wanted to come more than twice.

be positive

Visit site
It depends on what I am buying, a young, green or cheap horse usually once is enough, a more expensive or proven horse twice as it is not easy to do enough in just one viewing, by the time you have seen the seller doing flatwork and a sensible amount of jumping then got a feel on the flat most are running out of steam or interest and will not be doing their best, at that point I usually cool off by going down the road for 10 mins to play with traffic.
Second viewing will be straight on without seeing seller first and putting it through it's paces and testing the jump, if jumping is part of the job, I cannot really justify a third unless there is a chance to xc but if that is an option I would probably arrange it for the 2nd try.

When I sell I am very happy to show twice, I have very rarely had anyone still unsure that has asked to come again, I did take 1 pony to their instructors so they could have a lesson and go round some xc fences but they were lovely local people who really were not looking for a green 5 year old pony and I wanted them to buy him as I knew he was perfect for them, they did and he was!!!

zoelouisem

Visit site
I'm the seller, buyer has tried at mine and I've taken it to them to have a lesson.
Pony not put a foot out of place and has a BS record to back it up. Was recommended by a mutual friend who knows the pony in question quite well.
Want to come back again. Now I don't mind at all as have full trust in said pony and has never let me down but my time is precious and while I don't mind putting the time in can't afford too if joy riders very hard to tell!!

Mike007

Visit site
Once and if there are fireworks in my heart I go for it. Probably the most stupid way to buy a horse in the world. Possibly the best way to find a friend for life.

zoelouisem

Visit site
All mine been bought on first viewing and first looked at , but there's loads I don't look at cos of crappy videos ect. So think I'm pretty good at wheedling the bad ones out from ads/videos.

be positive

Visit site
I'm the seller, buyer has tried at mine and I've taken it to them to have a lesson.
Pony not put a foot out of place and has a BS record to back it up. Was recommended by a mutual friend who knows the pony in question quite well.
Want to come back again. Now I don't mind at all as have full trust in said pony and has never let me down but my time is precious and while I don't mind putting the time in can't afford too if joy riders very hard to tell!!

I would let them come back but make it fairly clear, without being curt, that you are pressed for time, have other interest and that you would like a definite decision one way or the other at the end of that day, if you word it carefully you should not put them off but should get them to realise they cannot dither any longer.
Sometimes when they don't put a foot wrong it almost makes people want to keep trying, I have sold several that behaved badly out of character at the first viewing and there is almost a sigh of relief when they see the naughty bits and know they can handle it, perfection is rare and there is an element of disbelief that they may be buying a superstar.

minesadouble

Visit site
I've never viewed a horse more than once. If I don't feel desperate to take it home I ring the seller and tell them that its not the horse for me.
I've bought 3 horses/ponies sight unseen and not had a problem.
If I really loved a horse I wouldn't dare dither about a second viewing in case someone snapped it up in the meantime. I've been in horses for years and think the 'multiple viewings' scenario is a quite recent phenomenon.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I would let them come back but make it fairly clear, without being curt, that you are pressed for time, have other interest and that you would like a definite decision one way or the other at the end of that day, if you word it carefully you should not put them off but should get them to realise they cannot dither any longer.
Sometimes when they don't put a foot wrong it almost makes people want to keep trying, I have sold several that behaved badly out of character at the first viewing and there is almost a sigh of relief when they see the naughty bits and know they can handle it, perfection is rare and there is an element of disbelief that they may be buying a superstar.

Trouble is pony in question isn't ever going to put a foot wrong she is a super star! But then her price does reflect this so I do understand its got to be right.

I have a agreed but also said I will continue to let others view aswell.

The instructor really put her through her paces and tried to almost set her up for failure but the pony in question had the biggest heart ever I did say I didn't want that again as she's been very carefully produced so to love her work!!

zoelouisem

Visit site
I've never viewed a horse more than once. If I don't feel desperate to take it home I ring the seller and tell them that its not the horse for me.
I've bought 3 horses/ponies sight unseen and not had a problem.
If I really loved a horse I wouldn't dare dither about a second viewing in case someone snapped it up in the meantime. I've been in horses for years and think the 'multiple viewings' scenario is a quite recent phenomenon.

This exactly she asked me not to let others look, I said absolutely not you might say no after the next viewing and I've lost on the perfect home!!

I know within 5-10 mins and unless something goes wrong once a bit more been done I'm usually right.
We've also been to see ponies and not got on them after seeing them been ridden!

blood_magik

Visit site
I tried one three times (hated him after first ride but was persuaded by my trainer to try him again, the second time he decked me and the third we finally seemed to click) and another one twice (once on the flat, once jumping).

I bought both.

My newest one I bought unseen.

wench

Visit site
Generally once, but in future it will be more.

However if/when a seller says you need to make your mind up to buy him buy the end of today, I will always say no. I will not be "bullied" into buying a horse.

I can appreciate that sellers like a quick response, however the above tactic is a no no in my books, and let's face it, it's not sold until the cash is in your hand.

ihatework

Visit site
From what you have said Id allow a third and final viewing but monitor it carefully and don't let the more extreme 'testing' of the pony again, last think you need is a good one ruined by someone else.

I'd also tell them that you are letting others view.

For me personally I have bought all mine off 1 viewing bar one, where I went twice

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Deffo twice.

I viewed a horse recently, and on the first viewing rode it out with company and it was fine, a dream going first or last, good in traffic the lot. I nearly, oh so very nearly, put down a deposit there and then.

Went back the next day with friend for second viewing. Total nightmare. This time it was separate from its pair-bond and was a total pig, totally different horse - rude and bargy in the stable and jumping around like a flea at the mounting block. Horse refused point-blank to leave the yard solo and then started going up on back legs at which point I got off and handed reins back!Owner was so embarrassed she didn't know where to put herself - "he's never done that before/has ridden out solo regularly" - yeah....... right.

I need a horse that will hack solo, and also be polite in company - two issues I will not and cannot compromise on.

So glad I asked for a second viewing. Horse is currently "off the market" because apparently (I've heard on the grapevine) it "has issues" and won't leave the yard, full stop.

Narrow escape methinks. But I would always ask for a second viewing on another day. If that is being a "timewaster" then so be it, and if I miss a genuine good-un, then so be it. I've been given excuses like "owner is losing grazing by the weekend and horse has to go asap" (like, they knew that was gonna happen ages beforehand); or "there's lots of other people interested so we can only offer one viewing per person" (so fine, I'll walk away), or "someone's coming with their lorry to view it and take it away if they like it" (let them then!). It doesn't cut any ice with me I'm afraid, if sellers start to bully me then I'll just walk away.

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
i haven't bought a riding horse for many years (mine are homebred or bought as foals) but when I did I only ever did one viewing.

From what you have written I would think a third and final viewing is acceptable. From what you say this is not a cheap pony and you do need to put some effort in - as do the buyers - to making sure that the pony is going to the right home.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Yes going to allow it, and do trust the pony to not let me down so not worried in that respect.
And I do understand she's not a cheap pony at all. But also she is my daughters best friend and her only pony so we will carry on competing her ect until she's gone she's only for sale as she's been outgrown to quickly so it's a really heart breaking sale as we both adore her.
I'm also in a position where we cannot buy until she has sold so we can't start looking until she's sold and vetted as I won't waste people's time.

eggs

Visit site
Wish there were were people like you about. Hope your pony gets the fantastic home she deserves.

soulfull

Visit site
All my best ones I e only viewed once. The only one I viewed twice was more horse than I wanted and should have stuck to my original not for me
one I viewed twice and got them to take him to a show as was a lot of money for me. He turned into a nightmare.

In your position I think all you can do is allow them to view again and keep letting others view as well

Kylara

Visit site
Once or twice. Mainly once. I only go for twice if I'm not sure. Recently did a second viewing on a not sure, and was still not sure after but refusal of a trial (not something I would normally ask for) because horse had been sent back due to not settling and chucking people off and being expensive, with less than perfect confo and bad feet I wanted a trial to see if settle and get my farrier to look. They said no, so I passed. Could have been nice, and confo issues not terrible, but just too worried about the settling problem.

Most will be one view, see them ride, I'll ride, do a bit of walking around, tiny hack, turn it out etc. I'll go home, and if I still like it the following day vetting is booked.

When I was younger I tried out a pony owned by an aquaintance that dumped people but had a fab jump, hated men, but potentially brilliant. I got on straight away (I knew the guy running their yard) and he'd been offered to me because I was a fan of maniac ponies and was very hard to get off. 10 minutes into ride he dumped me. Everyone was silent with shock, pony had pissed off the other end of the school. I was thrilled, got back on, popped a few jumps, realised much sharper than had been told and said I'd have him before I got off. Never been that crazy since and always slept on it and chatted more haha! He was brilliant after about a year of retraining though ;)

Currently viewed a horse Thursday, liked it, vetting is today, so fingers crossed.

Like others I find it much easier now than 10 years ago as you can ask for video and pictures which saves you driving out to see only to see it ridden and then say no. I've been sent so many terrible horses that I'm sure I've saved myself two days worth of viewings just on looking at video. I'm super picky with paces and viewed a couple at a place up the road and watched them being lunged and trotted up for about 15 minutes, knew immediately one was a no, told them, second was very nice, and if still available after its viewings that weekend I'd go see it properly.

I think if you're unsure, horse is expensive, or you're inexperienced then two or three viewings is fine. Especially if you want to take a more experienced person/trainer along on a subsequent one. No more than three though. Not everyone has the experience to ask the right questions of the horse or be confident enough in their own knowledge/skills to decide after one.

However, if someone asks you to take off market then don't without a deposit. And not for longer than a week.

I think also that kids ponies are slightly difficult as not all parents know what they're doing ;) so you may end up with multiple viewings, so maybe insist second/third viewings have an instructor with them to help. I know when I get asked to go along to second viewings I often see things the parents/teen hasn't and say unsuitable or lovely but perhaps not best suited to desired sphere.

It's a minefield out there, and I frequently get sent out to do first viewings on horses for clients and I feedback and they either choose to go and view themselves, or not. But I won't go with them on subsequent viewings. Not sure if that counts as one or two viewings though!

mcnaughty

Visit site
Once - I have known several people who dilly dally, lose the hose to another purchaser and then moan about wasted time and petrol.

When they next ring, tell them that of course they can come but you have shown pony to others already and have a lot of interest.

smja

Visit site
Once, unless there was something specific I wanted to see the horse do that couldn't be accommodated at first viewing.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Once! Both Fig and Goofy (and Bruce) have all been bought off the back of one viewing.

We didn't even see Fig canter!

zoelouisem

Visit site
The instructor has already seen I drove the pony their place so they could see her out of her environment and they have really spooky fillers water tray ect. Pony was an angel instructor said what a genuine pony she was!!
They also have multiple videos of her.
I have agreed just wondering what more they could possibly want to see but as a mum myself do understand it has to be right for the kids!

TheSaddleLady

Visit site
Twice for me. Ideally in different weathers/conditions too.
My boy now I worked with (saddle repair and re-fitting) for 2 years before buying him so know him fairly well.

But I do think if you feel that 'spark' and cannot shake the feeling it's usually a good sign! You don't want to faff the owner about so by the 2nd visit you should have some idea of what you want the outcome to be.

Jnhuk

Visit site
I was upfront before I went to dealers that I would be coming back for a second viewing. I got to ride a few different horses and then decided on the ONE! Then on second viewing at the weekend, arranged for me to hack out this lovely lad and hubby come along and have a sit and pop a jump in the school. So first viewing, second viewing and then vetting all happened within about five/six days.

I thought this worked well for me and dealer seemed very happy with it. He actually commented on that I was quite decisive about the horses I rode which was refreshing to him!

X

xspiralx

Generally once.

Newest horse is the only one I've seen more than once - I tried her on the Saturday afternoon, and went back on the Sunday morning to trot her up and take her for a short hack which we hadn't had the opportunity/foresight to do the day before.

I'm not one to faff about though really.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've only ever tried them once or less! I know what I'm looking for and will know within a few minutes if it's what I want. I've only had one on trial and that was for my daughter and I bought her too.