How much am I looking at?

melissa1971

Visit site
I'm hopefully going to start the horse hunt very soon
I will be looking for something 14.2/15hh native type
Not bothered for colour age but must be safe and good in traffic
Not for competing just a horse to love and enjoy

So my question what sort of price do you think I'm looking at?

be positive

Visit site
It depends on where you are but I would say £2k give or take a bit, unless you go for something either just backed with very few miles on the clock or older probably late teens early twenties, the fact you do not want to compete makes little difference to the price as the main value is being safe and good in traffic, if you could find one for £800 you would be very lucky.
A client of mine was looking for the same type this time last year, she just wanted a safe, sensible, forward thinking hack, her budget was £3k and the one she bought cost nearly that, she looked at a fair number, phoned about loads but there was always a quirk if they were cheap, we are in the south west.

Splashy pony

Visit site
I would say around 2-3k for a native. Have a look on Dales Pony society website or ask them for help finding something. Connies will cost a bit more and a safe larger cob could be around 5k but you could pay a lot more or get something older for a lot less.

melissa1971

Visit site
Thank you I havnt started looking at adverts yet as I don't want to see something before I can afford it in a few mths I will have 2k so will start looking then thanks

linperrie

Visit site
I would have thought 2k should do it for a safe native type, maybe even a bit more if it's bombproof. Not sure about £800 thou?? Maybe for an unschooled ex racehorse but not exactly what you had in mind eh? :)

flaxen

Visit site
Genuinely safe and sound with no quirks will cost significantly more than £800 imo

I got my lovely boy for £800 including his complete wardrobe. He was a saint, been there seen it got the t shirt, 14yr old welsh c. The people were showing people and bought him for their grandson after taking him to the royal welsh, child rode pony half a dozen times and decided boys toys were more fun so pony sat in field for 8mths and got fat!

He should have been worth much more than he was but they didnt know what they had and he was the perfect pony for me. Unfortunately I lost him on monday due to a injury he recieved in a freak fall out hacking in october.

They are out there you just have to look. My pony was over 200 miles away but was very much worth it.