How much as a broodmare...

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Sorry guys, another how much question..lol. Well after getting the devastating news that my young mare is likly to be written of as unrideable due to issue in her hind leg, the only option now seems to be keeping/selling her as a broodmare.

She is 7yrs old, 16.1, bay 16.1ish DWxTB. Very pretty and proved very successful at local level showing, jumping at home etc before her problem occured. She has good blood lines, including 'Be my guest', 'Renkum Arturo' and sire is Merlin. I reckon with the right stallion, would have some lovely foals...

8.JPG

So how much do u guys reckon a good price for her would be?? Thanks
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sorry don't know the history, is the problem with her hind leg due to an injury? Also is she sound/comfortable enough on that hind limb to cope with carrying a foal? If not I wouldn't breed from her.

Claireg9

Visit site
She is lovely, but as not a proven mare i wouldnt expect to get anymore than £1000 for her despite her bloodlines.
Sorry, but of course that si just My opinion which could be totally off the mark as im not good at that sort of thing.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
hi..its not from a injury as far as we know and the vet is still doing test to determine exactly what the problem is...if anything it's looking to a problem with the suspensory ligament in her hind leg. The vets said there is a rise in this condition for some reason especially in young horses. I dont think she would have a problem carrying a foal and seems fairly happy in herself at the moment...

what else am I suppose to do with her apart from a broodmare..we cant afford to keep her just as a pet in the field..
confused.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
I bought my competition mare at brood mare price due to her being a bit bonkers, she was 13yrs old, proven brood mare of 2 lovely foals, the best of Irish bloodlines (King of Diamonds GS) and over £300 of BSJA winnings herself, jumping over 1.30m, sound as a pound for £1750, so I doubt you'd get more than £800-1200 for her I'm afraid. Because she hasn't had any foals herself yet, and has no proven competition record, other than her bloodlines there's not much that top breeders would be looking at.

Can't you afford to breed a foal from her yourself?

Sorry to hear you have been having problems, my mare has injured her check ligament so is having a foalie too
frown.gif
smile.gif

ihatework

Visit site
Lovely looking mare but I'm not sure I'd be wanting to breed from a horse with soundness issues like you mention.
I think you'd be looking at £1000 max.

If it is PSD you should be able to treat it and loan her as a hack/light dressage and possibly more.

Stasha22

Visit site
I know how you feel. I have a 7 year old mare who I had to retire about a year ago due to injury and she has now become a very expensive pet.

I could never part with her though as I love her to bits. I am also considering putting her in foal at some point in the future as she a lovely type and I have been advised she would produce a cracking foal. Not quite ready to do it yet though!

By the sound of things you don't have much choice with what you could do with her other than perhaps putting her in foal yourself or finding a home for her as a broodmare. She looks a lovely type so I am sure you would get some interest.

Don't know about prices though I'm afraid.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
£1000 sounds about what I was thinking so thats ok.
smile.gif
We have thought about putting her in foal ourselves and could still be an option but im just thinking of other routes as well....

The vet is going to check that there is nothing genetically wrong with her.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Thats good that vet checking its not genetic, as you wouldn't want to breed a potential problem. Don't know how much, she does look stunning.

Claireg9

Visit site
its a real shame when things go wrong, we had a nine year old that detatched her suspensory ligament in a lorry accident, she had loss of use and became an expensive pet, we couldnt part with her and mum decided vets bills would be to high to breed from her ourselves, however we now wish we had of done but shes too old now at the ripe age of 21!
frown.gif

but your mare looks so pretty and if she has not got a genetical problem theres no reason why she shouldnt make a lovely broodmare and you lots of pennies, i like the look of her!!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Sorry to be a down about this, but as unproven she won't be worth much at all i'm afraid. Last year my best friend brought a stunning broodmare by Dutch Gold out of a fabulous mare.
Guess how much? £300!!!!!!
There are always broodmares in the £1000 and under section in Horse and Hound with excellent bloodlines.
Could you possibly put her in-foal next year to a good stallion and then sell her as she will be worth a lot more. It is such a shame as she looks like such a lovely and talented mare.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Im sorry to hear that your mare may be written off.

Being totally honest though, just because she is a mare, doesn't mean she will be a good broodmare. I personally, wouldn't breed from anything that wasn't 100% sound, and with no hereditary defects or conformational faults. All too often you see mares advertised as broodmares as they have gone lame or have handling issues, they are ten a penny, the market is flooded and 'most' breeders wouldn't really be interested.

Can you not investigate the lameness and get her sound? Is it definitely permanent? Could she come right and be a hack?

eventrider23

Visit site
Your best bet really would be (as said before) to put her in foal in the spring and then sell her as scanned in foal to whichever stallion you choose. There are so many stallions now on the market that you should be able to find a nice enough bred stallion at a quite reasonsable stud fee...especially if you go for a younger stallion.
My boy's sire is a stunning coloured Trakhener from the same family lines as Gepard who was a top class stallion but because this stallion is only a 5 yr old and not yet proven, his stud fee was only £250 and every foal he has thrown has been a cracker!!
In additon, a friend of mine had a well bred mare (Irco Mena bloodlines) that she bought very cheaply due to unsoundness (needed at least a year off). They put her in foal to a young coloured stallion who has the same bloodlnes as the Country Farm stallions. She ended up having to sell her this year before she foaled and they got £3500 for her as she was in foal. The people that bought her were overjoyed as well because she is a grey mare but threw the most stunning piebald filly (a very rare thing as she came from a 10 generation grey line!!)

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
until the soundness problem has been investigated, a lot of breeeders won't touch her with a barge pole, as the risk of it being genetic is so high, even with very good quality conformation, bloodlines etc, you can still breed a wonky foal (or worse) so people tend to put their money into proven mares, or those with outstanding competition records, as someone else has already said, broodmares are 10 a penny, all ours have been cheap (& they are all flat bred TB's)

one of our broodmares will go back into ridden work next year, as although her 1st foal is very nice, its not good enough to warrent breeding from her again, unfortunalty breeding is a big industry and there are so many 'nice, cheap' mares about, people can afford to be fussy,

good luck with what you decide,