How much can he carry

Rockchick

Visit site
Hi All

I have a 15.1 cob gelding that will hopefully be going on part loan very soon. the person wanting to loan him is an experienced rider and is 5ft9' and 12stone, i think i already know the answer to this but he'll be able to carry her wont he?
my friend is just under 12st and is 5ft 5' and shes ridden him ok and im 5ft4 ish and nearer to 13st and he carries me....

Thoughts please

Antw23uk

Visit site
My friend saw a rehome advert for a healthy 15.2 welshie with a weight limit of 9 stone on the ad!!! :confused: She has a 15h welshie and weighs 10.5stone and does everything on him (affiliated too) ... Told her I was going to report her for animal cruelty, lol ... Some people are way too OTT about what weight there horse/ pony can carry.

I think you will be fine with yours :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My friend saw a rehome advert for a healthy 15.2 welshie with a weight limit of 9 stone on the ad!!! :confused: She has a 15h welshie and weighs 10.5stone and does everything on him (affiliated too) ... Told her I was going to report her for animal cruelty, lol ... Some people are way too OTT about what weight there horse/ pony can carry.

I think you will be fine with yours :)

Actually, I have to admit I'm the same with my cob. I only have lightweight riders on him. Just because he can carry heavier riders, doesn't mean he should have to.

JLD

Visit site
My vet and physio reckon my 13.2 Welsh x trad can carry 11 stone easily, more when fit. He is not as stocky as he sounds but well put together and short coupled so your boy should be fine with 12st9lb.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He is going to find a 12 stone 5' 9" rider much easier to carry than a 13 stone 5' 5" rider, so I don't understand why you would be worried.

moana

Visit site
This is a difficult question as every horse is different, and much depends on age, fitness etc. The majority of 15.1hh cobs can carry this weight without a problem.

I do not plan on questioning the Op on whether she is referring to rider heigh or weight alone. Neither should be an issue.

Ruth17

Visit site
Bear in mind that Welsh Ds were bred to carry and pull. A broken Welsh cob would have had a full grown stag slung over its back after a day's hunting. Never mind carrying the farmer over the hills all day.