how much difference does a saddle make?

beaconhorse

Visit site
I currently jump in a WH saddle which is as the type suggests is really quite straight cut.

I have been told by my saddler that despite the name WH they are really not designed to jump higher than 2ft 3in. :dunno:

So what improvements would you expect to 'feel' in a true jumping saddle?

Anyone else got both or changed? if so what difference did you find?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I quite regularly jump 2'9"/3' in my WH saddle on my IDx that jumps everything like the olympia puissance wall and really rounds her back! It can be a little hair-raising at times!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I've been jumping in my dressage saddle for the last god knows how many years! It's really about time to get a new saddle
tongue.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Propably depends on how good a rider you are, but more knee will certainly help you maintain your position, particualrly in a sticky situation.

I have a VSD (slightly staighter cut than a GP) which I do jump in and even done x-country on. Its O.K. but I definately feel that I would feel more secure, and could shorten my stirrups further if I had a jumping saddle, or even just a GP. Trouble is if I shorten my stirrups too much, they hang over the front of the saddle, due to slightly straighter cut.

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
A jumping saddle will be much more forward cut and give you a lot more support. I tend to find I ride shorter in a jumping saddle than a WH saddle. It really depends what you want to do - if showjumping or eventing is your main aim, a jumping saddle will be more for you, but if you want to show, a WH saddle will do you much better. I jump in straight cut show saddles when I'm showing (up to 3ft6) - you get used to them, but SJ saddles give you more security.

beaconhorse

Visit site
i have been using my Wh for Sj xc hunter trials etc, BUT my horse is still learning and sometimes running out etc so I feel a little insecure in it and would like to progress with jumping so maybe I seriously need to think of getting one

the watcher

Visit site
Jumping at over 2'9" and upwards will certainly be easier in a more forward cut saddle, the only question for you then is whether your horse's build can take it..all three of mine have had to be fitted with fairly straight cut saddles to accomodate their huge shoulders. Fortunately the only jumping we do is for WH.