How much do you all weigh? Poll not actual weights - PHEW!!

Would you expect your child to contribute financially

• Total voters

horsegirl

Visit site
The YRC's maximum rider weight is 12.5 stone (approx) and reading that post about the Clydesdales the max weight there is 14 stone. So just wondering what % of riders are over these? No need to give me actual weights though

horsegirl

Visit site
6.36 KG to a stone
14 lbs to a stone
2.2lbs to a KG

12.5 stone = 79.5 kg
14 stone = 89.04 kg

Sorry I always forget people work in KGs now!

Beanyowner

Visit site
Now I am over the 12.5 stone mark but have never had ANY problems getting on horses and riding them properly. My trainer put me on all sorts of different sized and shaped horses and ponies when I was doing my ND and I told her how much I weighed and she said it doesn't really make too much difference as long as you can carry yourself as a rider and not lollop around like a sack of potatoes...I think it was a complement but am still not sure!
wink.gif
grin.gif

I can understand why they put weight restrictions on in riding schools etc because you do not know the ability of the rider and if you have someone crashing down on a horses back whether you be 9 stone or 13 stone...its still going to hurt!

Gingernags

Visit site
I'm in the top category and ride a 14yo 15hh 3/4 TB!!!! And she has NO back issues and carries me just fine!

I think a lot of perception of peoples weight and what is too heavy is way out!

Put it this way - we did 200 miles in 6 days last year, my sister is middle category and did the same on a 16 yo 15.2 TB. No problems whatsoever.

I'm a size 18 and am a lot heavier than I look, but I must ride light or i'd have had more back problems with the horse than you could shake a stick at if I beleived everything that was said!

riotgirl

Visit site
I'm in the middle bracket. My Welshie seems to have no problems carrying me. Like Coppertop says, there would be horses with knackered backs all over the place if we were to take too much notice of it. Mind you, if I was doing 3* eventing or something with my girl then she'd probably have reason to complain weight wise!

Gingernags

Visit site
We did a 15 mile "pleasure" ride on Sunday and there was some VERY steep and hard going. Out riding for about 3 hours and she BOUNCED back to the finish! (With a rider with a rather painful posterior!!!)

Mins you, must have done me good, was crouched forwards up about 1/2 mile of really steep track you had to pick your way up avoiding really holey track, using my legs, and I can really feel where I've used muscles in my stomach and abdomen and legs really riding her up it, feels like I've overdone it in the gym!

And being terminally stupid, I'm doing a 20 miler next month! Pony loves it and flies along so it can't be that bad!

Rambo

Visit site
If you watched the WEG showjumping, you wouldn't have failed to notice that most of the male competitors would have fallen in the top weight category of this poll
shocked.gif
Their horses were all happily jumping 1.60m fences with massive spreads though. Horses are far more durable than we give them credit for
smirk.gif

scrat

Visit site
Definately the top catagory! There is an ongoing article in HH about the state of riding schools and one issue was the weight limit of riders. In my area we found one school that had a limit of 12 stone for hacking, meaning you would have some riding ability. For lessons I can understand that there has to be a limit but given that riding schools are struggling I think they should have more heavy cobs even heavy horses to broaden their clientel. If they want to encourage people into the sport it must be a slap in the face if you weigh more than 13 or 14 stone only to be told there isn,t a horse strong enough to carry you!! What about knights in armour or military horses they must have to carry tons.

sojeph

Visit site
I am between 12.5 and 14 stone and actually fluctuate between those marks. I ride a 15.2hh Shire x cob and a 13.1 highland/connie type pony.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I do agree that all too often you hear people say "oh your too heavy to ride that horse" to people who TBH, don't weigh that much. I used to let one of my best friends complete novice OH (who weighed somwehere between 15/16 stone, he wasn't fat, just a massive bloke) borrow Storm so he and my friend couldgo out for hacks together and they would frequently go out for 3 hours and Storm was fine. I however am slightly lighter than her OH, I weigh about 10 stone
tongue.gif

Kat
xx

horsegirl

Visit site
I think it is crazy, although I am not suggesting that the horses should be asked to carry very heavily overweight people. My son is 6ft4 and weighs more than 13 stone but he could not be any skinnier ut as far as some riding schools are concerned he is too heavy to learn to ride.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
My husband is about 15.5 stone and Gem (who is a 16.3hh ID) easily copes with his weight. See below. I'm about 10.5 stone and ride Otto a 16hh IDxTB, I'm in the background.
IMG_1533.jpg

Pidge

Visit site
I'm in the middle category and have to admit that Pidge who is a 16.3hh ISH has NO problems with my weight whatsoever. He quite happily acts like a cruise missile when jumping round a 2'6" course and has no problem clearing them or a lack of energy
grin.gif

rrose

Visit site
im in the first category, im 7 1/2 stone and ride my welsh 14hh. i also ride other peoples horses from a 13.2 NF, 14.2 anglo arab and a 15hh cob. they all are capable of carrying me with no trouble. all can cope jumping with me too.

i was looking at ther clysdale ride too and to be honest those horse can carry alot more surley!

Capriole

Visit site
my OH who is a big strapping bloke (and ex household cav) has ridden an icelandic horse and says he could have walked if his feet werent in stirrups, carried him up mountains and over lava fields without ANY dificaulty (now he wants one)

allijudd

Visit site
i weigh alot......way more than i should but i have checked with lots of people who say that its ok for me to ride and the great big hairy thing seems to be ok with it...he can even buck and rear so i cant be that bad...

although i am losing a lot of weight!
The picture below is me about a month ago taken by one of my liveries...

rowanposing.jpg

i dont think rowan is struggling but i could be sitting better!
to about 2 weeks ago, the weight is coming off all be it slowly!
rowantrot.jpg