How much do you get for yard chores

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
How much should I be paid for yard chores? Mucking out, tacking up, bringing horses in a out etc I’m a few months shy of 18 but I have qualifications in animal management, lots of experience with horses and livestock and I have a good work ethic (always on the go, doing things as well as I can etc). Is £5 an hour fair? I’m saving up to pay for things for my horse. They said pay would be based on experience, but £5 is below minimum wage for over 18s.
(Posted from a friend’s account as I don’t have my own)

ihatework

Visit site
I’d say you should expect NMW for basic yard work and if you get more it’s a bonus. So £5ph until you turn 18, then raised to NMW.
As soon as you have built up some working experience then I’m sure you can push for more. Depends a bit on where you are though, around here 16+ yo would probably get £6-8ph if they were good and reliable.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I’d say you should expect NMW for basic yard work and if you get more it’s a bonus. So £5ph until you turn 18, then raised to NMW.
As soon as you have built up some working experience then I’m sure you can push for more. Depends a bit on where you are though, around here 16+ yo would probably get £6-8ph if they were good and reliable.
I have years of work exp both on my own yard and on professional yards.

eggs

Visit site
The current minimum wage for 16-17 years old is currently £4.62 rising to £6.56 for 18-20.

I pay £10 per hour for ad-hoc yard work irrespective of the person's age.

Leandy

Visit site
As above, I'd say anything between NMW and £10/hr. A lot will depend on whether you are actually working to professional standards and at a professional speed. If not, at the lower end of the range, if yes then at the top end.

teddypops

Visit site
It would depend if you are working on a yard which you are employed on -probably minimum wage or slightly more, or doing it on a self employed basis where you can charge what you want irrelevant of your age. I think £10 per hour or even a bit more would be fine.

LegOn

Visit site
I know you say you have years of experience working at your own and professional yards but unfortunately you have to understand that the experience of a 15/16 year old until they are 18 is not the same life experience as a 20-something year old who has the same 'years' of experience. As they are formative years, they dont hold the save value as someone who is older. I'm not saying its right but its just the way experience is viewed.

If you went for a job in retail at 18 and said you had 'years' experience working in your families shop & other retail, it would be viewed the same - it would be considered as under-age experience which doesnt equate to the same as someone who is 24 and says they have 4 years of retail experience.