How much do you pay for DIY livery?

siennamiller

Visit site
Sorry, I know this is done all the time, but I am thinking of moving yards, the new yard is more, but I was wondering what you all pay per month, for DIY, and trailer parking.
Thanks

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I pay £14.50 per horse a week which is DIY, stable plus all year round turnout ( own field) school, walker and jumps etc. it's around £18/£20 where I am in devon. Don't have to pay for trailer parking

elizabeth1

Visit site
£2.00 a day.I am staggered that you can get all those facilities for less than a costa cappuccino.... Referring to post above, not my own situation?

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
£25 in summer when out 24/7 which is stable, field, water, power, etc. Use of outdoor sand school. £40 in winter when stabled over night. As above but includes haylage and morning feed and turnout.

Suffolkangel

Visit site
£240 a month, but that's for 5 horses, lorry parking in a barn, 6 stables, own tack room and hay storage (also have use of another barn if needed) I have about 8 acres to play with of my own which I can fence how I please and 24/7 turn out year round. Although we don't have a school I have fenced off an area for a school and have built a round pen.

RockinRudolph

Visit site
£125 a month, which includes haylage, straw and morning turnout. It's the same cost all year round. We have a floodlit outdoor school and loads of hacking, and the grazing is fab.

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
£300 per month including lorry parking, individual turnout, good sized stable, outdoor school with dreadful surface, jumping field which has been over-grazed and is like glass, over-grazed fields, and YO who doesn't have a clue. Needless to say, I'm leaving.

Char0901

Visit site
I'm in the North West and I pay £173 a month (works out just over £40 a week)
This includes stable, turn out (only a few hours in winter), outdoor arena with use of jumps (with flood lights, indoor arena (again with jumps if you want), a sand arena with working hunter fences, 'derby bank', ditches, little 'devils dyke', open water etc, unlimited haylage and round-pen. They also put in morning nets and feeds if left outside the stable.
Theres a hot water horse shower that you put £1 in and get use for about 30 minutes and a solarium thats the same.
Shavings are extra at £6 per bag, pellets and straw available too but I'm not sure on the price as I don't use them.
Services are available if you need them for example they will turn out/bring in, rug change etc for like a £1 or something. A days full livery is also available if needed for £5 per day.
Lorry/trailer parking is free.
I've been on a few yards and think I get great value for money, even though I only have a yearling so don't use the jumps etc I still feel its a fantastic price.
Can you tell I love my yard?!

Last edited:

Tash88

Visit site
I'm not too far from you in London/Surrey, I pay £195 a month for DIY with bedding, feed and forage as extras which I pay for weekly. There is great turnout (24/7 if I want in the summer and all day in the winter), indoor and outdoor schools, good hacking and excellent security. I can also use the horse walker for £2 a time and could park a lorry/trailer for free, although I don't have one at the moment.

asmp

Visit site
£55 a month for large stable, individual turnout in large fields and free parking for my trailer. I'm in Hampshire.

dreambigpony

Visit site
£28 per week: Full use of menage, jumps etc
Off road hacking for miles and miles
Out 24/7 in Summer and full winter turnout, in at night
Good security, locks, codes etc
Trailer/lorry locked away in barn
Lunge pit

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a YO in Devon. My livery has two horses, one 15.2 and one pony, and they have their own field of nearly four acres, their choice how they sub-divide. This is separate from YO's horses.

They have erected their own jumps & dressage arena (with YO's consent), have use of one loosebox per horse, plus lockable tack-room and storage for hay/bedding etc. Plus use of the yard which is shared with YO (grazing separate). No charge for lorry parking.

Yard has security, YO lives on site.

Hacking OK'ish, lots of road work. Could be better, could be worse.

Livery pays £80 p.c.m.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
£100 a month per horse.
All year turnout (24/7 in summer), school, lunge pen, off road hacking, tea room. I don't have a lorry so not sure about charges for that. Hay & straw available on site and feed order delivered once a month too.
Small yard where we all help each other out (turnout rota in winter for example), absolutely love it.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
East Devon....

£85 pcm

DIY. Option to leave out as much as possible. Inc water, elec and parking for trailer. Buy hay and straw separately. No school but direct access onto commons -can easily do 2 or 3 hour ride with 10 min road work in total.

Love my yard.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Jesus I'm paying a lot!!!

I always think this when I read these threads!

I pay £186/month, just over £40/week, including lorry parking (£5/month less if a trailer). We get stable, AYTO (24/7 in summer), floodlit outdoor school with jumps, great hacking, own instructor allowed, secure tack room. We have just had a horse walker installed, and I don't think we will have to pay extra to use it, but if YO's electric bill increases massively, she may introduce a charge I guess.

siennamiller

Visit site
Hmmm, the yard I am looking at is charging £130 PCM, plus £10 for the trailer, for that I would get a nice box with a massive enclosed storage space at the front. She wouldn't be able to see much, but she would be out all day, and is slightly neurotic anyway, so maybe being somewhere quieter would be better. I would get my own paddock, use of school, rubbish hacking, but it is the same where I am now.
There is loads of grass, so would save a lot as I am currently having to give her hay in the day as we have no grass. The yard I am at is £110 inc trailer, but as I say no grass (I mean none), rubbish hacking and floods in winter, sometimes even the boxes. The people at my current yard are lovely tho, and I get on with everyone. It is a hard decisions, especially as I think z may have a minor breakdown about moving......
Should also add, large hay bales are £10 cheaper than old yard

NellRosk

Visit site
£25 a week including trailer parking, fields, stable, 'arena' (I use that term loosely as it's tiny!). And then in winter it's the same but I buy bedding and feed, a large round bale of hay or straw is £25 or I can get haylage for £35.

bertin12

Visit site
£110 a month. Includes stable, all year turnout (24/7 in summer), hay/bedding storage & seperate tack too, huge outdoor floodlight arena. Horses are in small groups of about 3, generally it works out about 2 owners to a field. Do what we like to field, it's ours to manage so can stay out 24/7 until we think we are running out of grass!!

soulfull

Visit site
£47 per week includes unlimited haylage
Indoor
Covered
Outdoor
Wash box
Solarium
Walker
Round pen
XC paddock
Lorry parking
Secure tack rooms
Large stables

On site competitions (affil and unaffil) RC in summer

Off road hacking could be better

skint1

Visit site
£120 per month per horse

-good quality haylage and straw in more or less unlimited quantities between Nov-Apr (available to buy reasonable price outside of those times)

-airy good sized well maintained boxes in several different stable complexes so opportunity to avoid people if you're feeling that way inclined

-24/7/365 turn out in small herds (max 4) is technically available but the grazing, whilst more than adequate, really doesn't hold up to it, fields need resting so majority of horses come in at night during winter. You have a lot of autonomy in managing grazing but this can lead to issues sometimes if people have different ideas of how to do things

-floodlit school, I don't use it but am told it's not great footing in there despite having a little revamp

-Access to miles of off road hacking through some of the most beautiful countryside around (The Ridgeway National Trail)

-Free storage of trailer/box- I would actually pay to keep mine under cover if that service were available

-Adequate and secure storage of tack/rugs/feed- this can be a bit awkward if you're on same block as a control freak or exceptionally tidy (or messy too I guess)

On the whole you have a lot of autonomy in how your horse is managed, sometimes this brings conflict with other liveries but eventually most things can be sorted out amicably, the farmer who owns it doesn't get involved beyond matters of health and safety.

On the way to my lovely yard often I drive past a yard where all the horses are in these little postage stamp paddocks with no shelter or features and no room to run about, the owner charges for parking vehicles, I don't like the set up, I feel sorry for the horses, but with the pressure on land perhaps this is the way of the future.

Last edited:

CobsGalore

Visit site
£130 a month - really good grazing, stable, outdoor ménage with floodlights, solarium, heated rug room, big feed room and tack room, extra storage, good hacking (but not amazing), trailer and lorry parking, and hot water!

comet!

Visit site
I pay just over £150 per month for DIY. Lorry parking is an extra £10 per month.

We buy our own hay and bedding, but can buy from yard owner if we want. Bring ins and turnouts are £2 or £2.50 a time.

dollymix

Visit site
I'm in Lancashire and pay £36 per week for stable and own turnout paddock. We can turnout when we like, but we have that one field so if you trash it that's you own bad luck!

Also included in livery is haylage and use of a good sized school. Surface is slightly suspect though (membrane up in places - despite 'repairs' and it is a bit like the moguls sometimes as it gets left a long time between levelling). There are some jumps, but they are owned by a group of liveries so there is sometimes some debate over who can use them!

Bonus though is the people - the yard owners are decent people who would help you in tough spot and the other liveries as the nicest group of liveries I have ever come across!

Last edited:

Emby

Visit site
I'm in Suffolk and pay £100 per month for DIY. For that you get a large individual paddock which you can divide up as you wish, and put up a field shelter if you wish. A large stable, a floodlit outdoor school, plenty of storage space for hay and bedding and space in the tack room. There is miles of local off road hacking. The owner lives on site. We are free to leave our horses out all year round if we wish. (this was the decider for me as my mare gets very stressy in a stable)

Custard Cream

Visit site
I'm in the NE and pay £50 a week. That includes:
Large stable
All year turn out in field with same sex small herd
Floodlit outdoor school
Wash Box
XC jumps and SJ paddock in the summer months
Excellent hacking both on and off road
Secure tack room and heated rug area.
All hay and straw bedding included.

It is pricey, but I love it.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I pay £130 pcm for one horse

No hay/bedding included in price, no school, shared tack and feed room, bit of a walk to get water as in separate building, no troughs in field, we have to carry and fill. Horses must be stabled overnight from end of oct to at least april. Horses must be mucked out in the morning if they have been stabled, no leaving until after work. Field to be poo picked and yard swept at least once a day.

Hay onsite at £4 per small bale, Nicely built stables, pretty decent yard area, extra storage for bedding and hay, no restrictions on type of bedding, decent hacking on quiet roads and a few bridleways within a couple of miles, post and rail fencing and drystone walls, flatish field available when its dry with a few jumps, late night and early morning checks done by YO, whose house overlooks the yard. Nice quiet place with nice people and a very peaceful atmosphere, my boy settled in straight away.

Kind of jealous of all those who have such wonderful facilities lol, i really miss having a school

kez81

Visit site
£100 pet horse per month for all year unlimited turnout and full use of stable with water and electric onsite and trailer parking. I am very lucky also that farmer only wants four horses on farm and as I have three he leaves it up to me to decide who is suitable as the other livery. Downside is I have to sort out any grumbles from said livery!

kez81

Visit site
£100 pet horse per month for all year unlimited turnout and full use of stable with water and electric onsite and trailer parking. I am very lucky also that farmer only wants four horses on farm and as I have three he leaves it up to me to decide who is suitable as the other livery. Downside is I have to sort out any grumbles from said livery!
Also forgot to say we don't have a school onsite but farmer let's us ride through all the fields and have direct access onto Dartmoor and large round bale hay and haylage at just £20 a bale in winter ( it averages 30 plus a bale round here and our stuff is blooming lovely!).

Shutterbug

Visit site
£20 per week per horse. That gets me stable, turnout, small school which is currently being built, tack storage, and it's within walking distance of my house and has awesome hacking