how much do you pay for heart bar shoes?

tashwilson

Visit site
My horse (16.1 belgium warmblood) needs two heart bars on his front feet and normal back shoes. I normally pay £75 for a new set of normal shoes and £70 for a refit. My farrier has told me that with his new heartbar shoes my bill will rise to £112. I nearly had a heartattack at this price as other people have told me it shouldnt be this much.

I just wanted to know what other people pay for two front heart bars and two back shoes for their horses. It would be helpfull to compare it to what your farrier charges for a normal set aswell because obviously it changes depending where you live and how big your horse is. Thanks very much

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Have a 14.2hh and she has heart bars on her fronts and just trims on her back we get charge £50 for the 2 fronts - this is with all her laminitis and bad hooves too! I THINK when she was in normal shoes it was about £30
K x

starbar

Visit site
I pay £62 for a new set, my boy has side toe clip fronts..and he has funny shaped feet so the farrier has to do work on the shoes to shape them to his feet. There is an element of remedial work everytime so I get more than my money's worth for this. Can't help on the heart bar price I'm afraid. I'm in North Wales.

ETA - he is a 14.1 very heavy trad cob

itsonlyme

Visit site
When Molly was is them, one farrier charged £95 a set & the other farrier charged only £75. We've now gone barefoot though, which we should have done years ago.

irishdraftlover

Visit site
i have a 16.1 hh irish draft, massive feet. my farrier normally charges 65 for a normal set and 75 for 2 heartbars and 2 normal back shoes. when he refitted the heartbars he charged me 65. im in essex but have been with my blacksmith for 12 years

Frumpoon

Visit site
We're in the Midlands and heart bars are £85 for a front pair with our new farrier, old farrier charged £100 for just front ones in both cases...

charmeroo

Visit site
Heart bars are a total waste of money IMO.

My farrier will charge £120 for heart-bars but says that he would only fit these to a horse under vet supervision - ie with xrays etc to ensure that the bit under the frog is at exactly the correct angle. The danger is that if the angle is wrong then too much pressure can be exerted which could cause damage in the long run, or if no support at all then the shoes are not doing their intended job. He says that he would prefer to use normal shoes with plastic frog support pads.

tashwilson

Visit site
unfortunately my horse needs his shoes and he has an extremly bad quarter crack which needs to be treated and it has been recommended by vet and farrier to try a heart bar. Its interesting the big jump in prices thanks very much guys

Oberon

Visit site
unfortunately my horse needs his shoes and he has an extremly bad quarter crack which needs to be treated and it has been recommended by vet and farrier to try a heart bar. Its interesting the big jump in prices thanks very much guys

Aye - vets think heart bars 'fix' everything ;)