How Much Do You Spend At The Vet A Month ? ?

tda

Visit site
I'd say not a lot usually, but had a couple of unsuccessful AI attempts on a mare last year which bumped it up.

The vets recently sent me a statement of account for the full year as I'd missed a small invoice - it made me wince when I saw the total ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Mine has severe COPD and now I have him in a routine that works I luckily don't spend much (touching wood frantically). I always have a pot of ventipulmin in the feed room so I can start using it quickly at the first sign of trouble, and other than replacing that I've only had one COPD-related callout and meds in the last 5 years. I can also ride him. We don't gallop or jump, but I didn't much before anyway, and I don't ride in winter so not sure how he'd cope with that if I wanted to (he's worse in winter).

It does always seem to come in groups though, in a short period of time at the end of summer we had red eye in the cattle, a cat with chemical burns in his mouth and a pony with feather mites. Plus routine TB testing and a castration. Luckily Irish vets are also much cheaper than the UK.
Thankyou so much. I'm in tears xxx

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Mine has severe COPD and now I have him in a routine that works I luckily don't spend much (touching wood frantically). I always have a pot of ventipulmin in the feed room so I can start using it quickly at the first sign of trouble, and other than replacing that I've only had one COPD-related callout and meds in the last 5 years. I can also ride him. We don't gallop or jump, but I didn't much before anyway, and I don't ride in winter so not sure how he'd cope with that if I wanted to (he's worse in winter).

It does always seem to come in groups though, in a short period of time at the end of summer we had red eye in the cattle, a cat with chemical burns in his mouth and a pony with feather mites. Plus routine TB testing and a castration. Luckily Irish vets are also much cheaper than the UK.
Thankyou. I don't feel so alone now x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I never needed a vet for my horse

Don't you vaccinate them?

£400+ this month for my almost 29 year old pony who decided to show colic symptoms at 1 am 3 days before Christmas. I hate having to call a vet out at that time, but it's the swings and roundabouts of late night checks just before I head to bed. Fingers crossed he is now ok.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Really? How long have you owned him? I simply cannot imagine being that lucky! And what about regular issues (teeth, vaccines etc)? If you have never needed a vet you must have very good luck!

To be fair other than routine jab visits in 10 years of owning my first horse he only had the vet to be gelded as a yearling and to have bloods taken when I took him to Germany. He was a very hardy WelshxWB and was never sick or sorry so it was somewhat of a surprise to find modern horses break so easily.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Just spent 300 Euro on a minor bout of Cellulitis, and soon will fork over roughly 200 Euro for vaccines (every 6 months).

Plus I could add in the 75 Euro prescription for meds for the nebuliser. Then insurance for the dog was due (183/6 months) and for the horse as well (400/6 months). Not terrible, but still.

Last edited:

scruffyponies

Visit site
This is for a horse that I may never be able to ride again, certainly not more than walk ?

Don't give up hope. My daughter is seriously proposing hunting one of mine who was so badly smashed up in a RTA 10 years ago that we had to beg the vet to let us try to save him. Vet only agreed on the understanding that we were prepared to give him a lifetime as a field ornament.

In retrospect the £1000 of xrays and stitching (in the dark, at gone midnight between 2 crossed car headlights) was the best money I ever spent.

J&S

Visit site
I am at this minute waiting for a bill regarding visits for colic last month. Apart from that is has been just vacs/teeth and worm counts for the last three years. Previously had a £1,000 or so bill for an annular ligament problem, other than that pretty good luck for the last 45 years! (I hardly dare write this!!) I do not insure, for vets' fees, I pay my way and with my aged/aging equines do not plan to hospitalise.

Last edited:

fiwen30

Visit site
£170/month for dog’s meds & cat’s arthritis injection. Have been saving up £200/month in anticipation of dog potentially needing a 2nd cruciate surgery, and have just hit our 2.5k goal ? We also put away at least £100/month into a vet fund - on £700 right now, aiming to save 3k for dog, 2 cats, and 1 rabbit.

ihatework

Visit site
Gosh difficult to know.
Between dogs/cats/horses and the various stages in their life I’d estimate over the years it probably averages out about £500/month