How much does field rent cost?

AJHORSE

Visit site
Looking at options to rent a field, what do you think the field should have with it eg. Stable, good fencing etc,
how much is it on average monthly and what is a reasonable price?
Do you ride your horses in the field and does it get too wet in winter to ride in the field?
What should be included?
How big a field for 1 horse for grazing 24/7- heard about 1.25 acres?

Sorry so many questions,
Thanks. !

Shooting Star

Visit site
Fields come in all shapes and varieties there is no definite as to what it should come with, some will just be a field, no shelter or water others will have stable, hard standing water and electric so you need to work out what is important to you and your horses needs.

Prices vary hugely depending on size, location and facilities so you’d need to be specific about the area and type of field you’re looking for.

There is no right and wrong as to what is included you need to look for something that suits your needs - perhaps you’re prepared to pay lower rent and do all of the field & fencing maintenance yourself, perhaps not so you need to make enquiries about each field that you’re interested in to find out the landlords expectations.

I keep out 24/7 and we don’t have a school so ride in the fields, we’re fortunate that the land is a sandy loam so rarely gets super wet or heavy and is useable almost all of the time but if you’re on clay there’s limited opportunity to ride on it in the winter (or in the summer if it bakes rock hard!) and you will likely need more acreage per horse as it takes a beating in the winter.

Amount of land per horse depends on the type of soil, their size etc. normally around 2 acres for the first horse and 1 per extra horse after that is the guide but if you’re on clay you’ll almost certainly want more, if you’ve got tiny good doing ponies you’ll likely need less etc.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Location is going to be the biggest factor in cost — if you are in the Home Counties or Cheshire or Cornwall/Devon it’s very likely to be expensive in certain parts of wales and Scotland and the north of England it will likely be cheaper... if it’s got power stables and water its more like renting a yard - hard to find and can be costly... these facilities are not easy to find so the best advice is to search the local websites press and land agents to get a feel for cost in your area.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Your question reads like it's an assignment you've been given from college? Just in case it isn't, you shouldn't even begin to think about keeping one horse on its own.

For the rest of your questions, there are too many variables on each to answer without an essay. Two fields which share a fence line can be completely different to manage.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Your question reads like it's an assignment you've been given from college? Just in case it isn't, you shouldn't even begin to think about keeping one horse on its own.

For the rest of your questions, there are too many variables on each to answer without an essay. Two fields which share a fence line can be completely different to manage.

Looking at OPs other current post, it is someone looking to take a horse on loan.

My advice would be, because you do sound quite inexperienced, to go to a yard where you can have the horse on whatever livery you like, but you will also have help and advice to hand. You will also have the benefit of better facilities and people to hack out with.

A horse living out 24/7 is not suitable to be on its own.

AJHORSE

Visit site
Looking at OPs other current post, it is someone looking to take a horse on loan.

My advice would be, because you do sound quite inexperienced, to go to a yard where you can have the horse on whatever livery you like, but you will also have help and advice to hand. You will also have the benefit of better facilities and people to hack out with.

A horse living out 24/7 is not suitable to be on its own.
Thanks, good to know!

kc921

Visit site
I'm on Grass livery with a field shelter which could be turned into a stable. we have a field which we can use to school/jump etc.
I often ride in my own field I use the winter field.
Sometimes it does get too wet to ride in the field school and in my own paddock, but then I just hack out instead.

I pay £40 a week for my own paddock and the price does not increase if I decided to get a second horse. my Paddock is just about big enough for 2 horses :) Hope that helps!

eggs

Visit site
Cost will vary considerably based on location and facilities.

If as Red-1 thinks, you are looking to loan a horse, I would agree that you do sound pretty new to this and that you would be much better off at a yard that can offer you the support you will need.