How much does your horse teach you?

not_with_it

Visit site
I have just brought my horse back into work after a 2 year break (for both of us) through injury.
I'm finding it really interesting riding her again. Ive always considered her a true school mistress as if you dont ask right you dont get.

On the left rein she was throwing herself crooked and wasnt connected. I originally though it was just her but as I was laid in bed last night it got me thinking. I was laid on my left side and therefore bending right. I tried turning over but just couldnt get comfy. When I stand I naturally bend right.

So to the point. When I was riding today we struck off in left canter, she was hollowing and throwing her quarters in. I turned my hips left and she instantly connected. She really has started to give me wow moments again but only if I am correct.

So I am over the moon with my overgrown pony. Everyday I get with her is a bonus as I really had my doubts about her coming sound again.

And the point of this post. I have ridden horses which will do as you ask however you are sat or however you ask.

How many of you blame your horse when they dont do as you ask before you look at yourself. How many of you say "he must have a sore back" or "hes just being stubborn" without analysing what you are doing or how you are asking. Or do you have a horse that will do as you ask however you ask?

How much does your horse teach you?

shark1

Visit site
my good horse is very like that - i cant ride her any sense on the right rein in canter unless i ditch my stirrups as i tend to sit slightly off centre when going to the right , she is very senstitive. so i do all my flatwork without them as it saves arguements as if you ride her incorrectly she tells you exactly where to go!
it makes me extra aware to be careful on other horses who are more tolerant though - if things are going wrong it is usually something simple which i am doing that they dont get or like.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Thats made me think quite alot now!!! I shall have to ride properly from now on lol ... When i do a circle i always tend to bend/lean to the inside of the circle and look down alot to see were my horses head is lol darn i needa fix myself now :p But il say one thing, he has taught me to sit to vertical bucks, rears and naps which is a good thing to learn!!

not_with_it

Visit site
I just think far too many people blame their horses without looking at themselves. I used to be the same.

We spend so much money on our horses and getting them right but how many of us stop to think about getting us right.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I just think far too many people blame their horses without looking at themselves. I used to be the same.

We spend so much money on our horses and getting them right but how many of us stop to think about getting us right.

very true ... A couple of months ago my wee sister was riding our horse and she couldnt get him to canter!! Which is very strange as all you do now is ask properly and you get canter but she couldnt get it for some reason, so i got on and as soon as i sat in the saddle i asked for canter and got canter!! Put sister back on and she still could not get canter, so was her that day she was scared of him bucking so he ov picked up on it lol but luckly if something feels wrong or either of us do something wrong so to speak theres usually one of us on the ground to tell what is up lol

Last edited:

Weezy

Visit site
Most crookedness and resistance comes from the rider and their probs, even if they don't know it! My horse tells me when my back is out, he won't move truly straight through his body. Once I got on a very well schooled dressage horse and was doing the most beautiful travers all around the school...I hadn't asked for it, it was just how I was sat and it was a lightbulb moment as I realised just how crooked my body was. Took ages to sit straight and it felt awful!

Tempi

Visit site
It is definately true - if i sit crooked on Blossy then she goes crooked as shes very ''rolly'' over her back. I often ride without stirrups as i find i can sit straighter and more ''true'' in the saddle.

not_with_it

Visit site
Weezy, I used to ride one that was the same. He would always go crooked or break in the left canter and it was always me that was making him crooked and causing the problems.

Tempi, I would love to ride without sturrups but I dont trust Gin enough not to spook and I dont like hitting the ground.:D

I think far too many instructors dont focus on the rider enough and therefore dont get to the route of the problem.

Enfys

Visit site
New things every day;)

My Paint taught me to ride again.

40 years riding English was worth diddly squat from the moment I got on her, and I even did that wrong.

I learned not to click unless I wanted to go faster, to 'kiss' if I wanted a canter, on NO account pick up a contact with her otherwise she skidded to a halt and I practically went out the front door.

Do NOT squeeze a western trained horse hard unless you want to go very fast, and if you haven't squeezed equally then you go very fast sideways! Also that horses can actually think for themselves, show my Paint mare which calf you want and she'll cut it by herself, a rather humbling and enlightening experience to someone taught from a very early age that horses have to be held onto and directed at all times.

Although I do have a trainer I spend a lot of time discovering things for myself, and often accidently, at home, simple things like "Whoa" only works for some horses, several of mine only respond (instantly) to "Ho!"