How much for a child's private lesson?

legaldancer

Visit site
I'm looking in to getting my 9 year old son some lessons at home on his own pony. I've found a local instuctor, who although not formally qualified, has experience in affiliated dressage & is willing to give him some half hour lessons initially.

We've been in some discussion about fees, but out of interest, how much would you expect to pay for this bearing in mind pony is supplied.

teddyt

Visit site
Totally depends on the instructor but shouldnt be any different to a private lesson for an adult on their own horse. You are paying someone for their time. Qualifications arent vital imo but someone who is good with children and ponies is!

I would expect (and be happy) to pay £15 plus travel expenses if required. Or £25 plus travel for an hour. Half hour lessons work out less cost effective for instructors because of the length of time travelling for a shorter lesson, unless they are very close.

dornrose

Visit site
My instructor charges £50 but that is for an hour, depends I guess on travelling time as to how much they charge but would expect to pay around £20 for a half hour lesson, again I think it probably varies from area to area, I am based in Surrey.

legaldancer

Visit site
We're 'up north' & instructor lives in the same village, which is very handy.

We're thinking £15 for the half hour, but I had thought it would be more like £10, though I'm probably being tight!

irishdraft

Visit site
Thats interesting !! I teach a 10 yo girl on her own pony, she comes to me and uses my school, she has an hours lesson and I charge her £10.00, Im not formally qualified so thought this would be fair, looks like shes getting a good deal !

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
My lessons with a qualified instructor are £10 for half an hour. However, I use someone else's school and the instructor is there anyway to take care of her daughter's pony (which is kept there).

I would expect you to have to pay £15 for half an hour or so? As the instructor is local.

charlimouse

Visit site
I'm a registered BHS instructor, and have evented to Intermediate and CCI* level. I don't tend to do 1/2 hour lessons as I don't feel it gives enough time to work through any problems. By the time you've warmed up you only have 15 minutes left!!!!!!!! I charge £20 for a private lesson which is approximatly an hour (depending on how the horse is going can be a bit longer or a bit shorter). If you are thinking of using an unqualified instructor check out their insurance before you go ahead with any lessons, and check that they have a relevant first aid qualification. As the Person is unqualified I would say £10 max for a 30 minute lesson. I have spent literally thousands on my training/qualifications and I am proud to be on the BHS register, I have to have insurance, first aid certificate that is updated every other year, and Child protection. An unqualified person will not have had the specific training therefore I would think very carefully before using them to teach my child, and I would not expect to pay them as much as a qualified instructor.

skychick

Visit site
Around my local area.....private lessons on own horses with fully qualified and v experienced instructors are around £25 per hour if you go to them. and £25 per hour + travelling if not. That price doesnt change depending on whether you are adult or children.

As they are unqualified i guess a bit less. I would always personally go for fully qualified my self.

hoggedmane

Visit site
Here (Hampshire) a 1/2 hour lesson with my daughters instructor (unqualified but insured and ace with kids) is £20 on own pony.

jumptoit

Visit site
Up North I would say 10 - 12 pounds for half an hour, my lessons with a fully qualified instructor are £25 an hour including travel. Ones I've had with a friend who is unqualified are only £12 an hour.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Blimey you lot get lessons cheap. Our qualified instructors (and I don't mean AI's) I mean people who are out there competing and qualified to at least II charge £45 for 40mins. regardless of adult or child. And that is coming out to our yard and we have lessons on our own horses. So for a child I would expect the same price. I can get an AI cheaper but to be honest I would rather pay for experience and I would never use someone who was not fully insured.