HOW MUCH FOR GRAZING?

liveryblues

Visit site
I have been offered 10 acres for & 500pcm... is this realistic? The grazing is on hants/west sussex boarder.
Would be fab to know what everyone else pays so I can gauge if this reasonable :)
Thank you xx

BBH

Visit site
Seems a lot unless there are stables on the land. Sounds like they have worked out how many horses can be kept on 10 acres and worked it our per horse as opposed to a sum for the land.

I'm in Hants and ' fields' very rarely come up so hard to guage but grass livery costs depend on if anything is included ie normally anywhere between £12.50 and £37.50 a week.

Last edited:

BBH

Visit site
Actually if you kept 9 horses on it its about £13.88 a horse a week so not expensive but if its only for your two or three then yes very expensive way of doing it.

Personally for £500 a month i'd want more than a field i'd want electric aswell for lights in winter.

The only recent field for rent i've seen was 3 acres for £135 a month but no water or electric and it was snapped up.

liveryblues

Visit site
I pay £15 a month for 3 acres, 3 stables, feed room, field shelter, water :cool: Guess I got lucky! :D
Bl**dy lucky lol... you sure that is 15 pm not pw... not family owned by any chance ?

I did think about a few grass livery's but to have them on it 24/7 9 horses would be to much! I have 3 of my own :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It sounds quite steep priced, but it depends on the type of land - is it good, well drained grazing? Could you make haylage or hay from it - you could get haylage off it as well as graze it...

i was asking on the stableyard forum last week, how much people got for renting out a whole yard (five stables) and eight acres of land, and people were suggesting between £250-500 for that...

McNally

Visit site
I pay £100 for about 4 acres with water. We erected stables and sheds etc and have 3.5 horses there so i consider it a bargain!

liveryblues

Visit site
I pay £100 for about 4 acres with water. We erected stables and sheds etc and have 3.5 horses there so i consider it a bargain!
That IS a bargain, makes what I am being offered sound VERY expensive! Love having my lot out 24/7 but dont want to pay what I use to pay for livery & stables lol

Skyebald

Visit site
I'd expect to have to pay that much tbh . I rented 5/6 acres years ago for £250 a month. I would want it to be well fenced and good grazing though - The question is do you need that much or as others have suggested could you possibly cut hay from it or take on a few liveries ? The first year I rented the field we cut about 400 bales from it as only had two horses at the time

BBH

Visit site
Its really expensive in the South East and assuming these other examples are out of the home counties they just aren't feasible down here.

If you like the plot i'd make them an offer and see where it takes you.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm considering renting out some grazing from our farm. (apparently we have too much grass). I haven't thought of a price, but I do know I wouldn't dream of charging that amount!! Tad expensive!!

soltydog

Visit site
I used to rent 6 acres no stables or water. The price was £600 per year. £500 per month is well over the top.

cob&onion

Visit site
For my winter grazing i pay £10 PW per horse so thats £30 PW for 4 acres and £15 PW for 1 stable - £45 for 3 horses. About average for the area, shropshire.
It has a automatic water trough and any have is extra, i buy the big square bales for £35, these last 2 weeks.
Winter is so expensive, in the summer they come home so cost nout but my field has no drainage and is on clay so has to be rested for at least 4 month during the wet winters.

paulineh

Visit site
Before I bought my land I paid £350 per month for 4.5 acres 3 stables, a feed room and a barn. There is an area for the cars and trailer plus we have a caravan parked there.

When I first had it we put an enclosed area for a muck heap, divided the grazing into several paddocks.

I would say that without any buildings on the land that £500 a month is a lot.

Always Henesy

Visit site
£500 per month for 10 acres is ludicrous!

I pay £25 a week for the use of 15 acres, four 16x12 stables (in a lovely big barn), automatic water, electricity.

This is from a farmer...I am in East Sussex

irishdraftlover

Visit site
i pay 350 a month for 7acres 2 stables and a very large barn, cud house 2 horses , post and rail and electric fencing with automatic water troughs.Access to off road hacking. Im in essex

MinnieDuke

Visit site
all depends on where you are - I am in Maidenhead - and I paid 100 a month for an acre last year! but there is NO extra grazing where we are ... and I only have 4 acres for 7 horses/2 ponies! so grazing at ours is a premium/luxury...