How much for transporting horses??

SueAllen

Visit site
Friend of mine asked me recently if she could hire me to transport her horse to the vets. I told her she couldn't as I would do it happily for free. Seems like the horse will now have to go to the vets once a week for the next 9 weeks to properly ascertain the cause of his lameness (3 legs - not sure what the problem is - nerve blocking - x rays etc) She can claim for this on her insurance including the cost of transportation. I have agreed to commit to a once a week transport for however many weeks it takes and she wants me to bill her for the transport - I am self employed, although not as a horse transporter, so it would go through my books.

1. Any idea how much this would realistically cost? It is only a distance of about 12 miles in total with very little waiting time at either end.
2. Would it be legal to do this?

I would welcome your thoughts as I have probably missed some hugely important issue (don't worry I am looking into my own insurance) that would make this impossible/illegal or even immoral - I can't often see the elephant that is standing on my foot!!
blush.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I think the usual cost is about 30 pounds an hour plus diesel.

So long as you declare what you're doing and have relevant insurance then i can't see the problem. But do be prepared for your insurance to go sky high.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you put it through your books then there are 2 issues. First is insurance, your insurance company would definately want a higher premium for what you are doing. Secondly you would need an operators licence to use your vehicle for that purpose. You may have to produce your operators licence to your insurance company before they will give you cover also.

If it was me I would just take my friend & the horse to the vets, accept some money for diesel & put it in my back pocket & not in the books. If it is all done officially it will cost you a fortune.

Good Luck with your decision
wink.gif

foraday

Visit site
You need an op licence and DEFRA licence to transport horses for reward & hire.

The insurance company will only accept an official invoice with operators licence and defra licence numbers displayed on the invoice.

I cannot understand why your friend does not contact a legal and registered transporter to do this especially as she can claim back her transport costs.

Vosa will impound your lorry and fine you minimum £5000.

To get an operators licence will take around 12 weeks if you have the transport managers qualification (CPC) and correct planning permission to operate your transport business from home and correct funds-around £6000 per lorry.

DEFRA licence may take longer as the laws are just about to change.

burtie

Visit site
Pet plan don't but NFU do, up to a certain amount and as long as using a licensed operator.

Another reason I'll vote for NFU over Pet Plan anytime
grin.gif