how much/future plans.

Cathey

Visit site
i know everyone hates how much posts but advice needed please!

Im finishing my A-Levels this year then taking a gap year. im planning on volunteering in Kenya for 6 weeks and then travelling Europe on a 4 week train pass. Now my problem is that i need to borrow money from family against the value of my horse so that i can pay the money back when i sell her in the summer of 2008 (AGES away i know!) so i need to know how much i have to play with, baring in mind that i would like money for uni too.

so shes 15.1hh 11yr(at the moment, will be 13 when i sell) roan mare. great in all ways, bombproof and can turn her hoof to anything. I plan to do everything possible with her before i sell (dressage, XC, SJ, HT, ODE, hunting, pleasure rides, beach ride etc) nothing major, just the kind of fun i missed out on with my last horse who completely ruined my confidence. Iv gone from being terrified of a 6" cross pole to jumping 2'3" happily (and still improving) in the time iv had her, shes a real confidence giver in everyway but isnt a complete plod. Never had anything majorly wrong with her, is slightly pigeon toed in one leg but thats about her only fault. the kind of horse you could put your nan on and the next day go hairing round a XC course! i paid £3250 for her in may, and personally think she was a bargain as shes given me so much.

Opinions on what she would be worth when i sell? Its greatly appreciated, i need to start planning this gap year soon.

gemma1992

Visit site
She sounds lovely.
Why not loan her out when you're away so she's getting exercised and you're getting money?

I think you should sell her for £5000 or more. But I'm probably wrong

ecrozier

Visit site
Hmm afraid I don't think that much really, it always seems that unless a really special schoolmaster etc horses seem to drop in value after age 12. She does sound lovely, but we have just bought something similar but 16.2 for my OH...would take my mum out hacking one day, do a discovery the next with me, and is currently teaching my OH to jump! She is 10-12 ish, not sure exactly, but we paid £3500 for her and would imagine if we were to sell her on (not planning to!) in a couple of years would get about £3000, maybe less, as they are getting older!
Another example, friend just sold on an awesome PC allround, 15hh welsh x arab, 8 years old suitable for anyone but scopey and quick with a good rider, for £3750 and thats a fair bit younger than your girl. Plus we are Thames Valley...V expensive!
So I'd guess about £2750 ish? But I might be totally wrong so sorry if everyone else disagrees! I am rubbish at selling on horses, hence the collection we have at home!

gnubee

Visit site
At that age, unless you have any major plans to do anything huge to improve her, I think the value is just going to keep going down the longer you keep her. Is possible that inflation over the next two years will mean that you can just about get back the price you paid for her, but depending on location, selling today as a 13 year old I would think £2700 would be a good price for you. (Having said that, its not the kind of market I would want to buy in, and Im sure there are people out there who value that kind of thing much more highly than me.)
Also you might need to take into account that if she develops any problems over the next few years as she gets older that could dramatically dent the value.