How much hi-fi can I feed instead of hay?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
The hay the yard has been given to feed the horses has made most of the horses a bit under the weather so rather than feed tham that crap can I feed hi-fi as a replacement of hay and if so how much? I'm just worried that the horses will probably gorge on it and it will give them colic
crazy.gif

TGM

Visit site
I doubt they will gorge on it - it is not the most exciting food in the world and some horses won't touch it at all! Dengie claim that "Hi-Fi LITE can also be fed as a hay replacer. Naturally lower in sugar than hay, Hi-Fi LITE can be fed, on a weight for weight basis, as a low sugar alternative to hay or haylage. "

Will cost you a lot more than feeding hay or haylage though
crazy.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
The oldies at our yard that just dont have enough teeth to chew hay/haylage have hi fi and it keeps them with weight on them (which is very difficult)

Law

Visit site
It might sound daft but you can pretty much feed as much as you see fit. I feed a huge bucket full soaked down with about a bucket of water! (not quite a whole bucket) Mine is a bit awful about it- he does gorge 'cause he thinks he's starved (which he is clearly not!!) and he acts like the bottom of the bucket has gold in it- furtles around chucking the hi fi out and rumages around the bottom - then eats up all he's thrown out.

So the short answer is - ad lib.
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
When my girl was laminitic and wouldnt eat the hay I got her I fed her nothing but big tub trug fulls of Hi-Fi Lite (along with 2 feeds a day for her vits etc.). She ate it like hay really - didnt gorge on it but it kept her happy for about 2/3 weeks until I got some hay she'd eat.

GTs

Visit site
Just becareful these feeds require the horse to drink more - certainly give you horse extra water, and if your horse is not a good drinker do not give him/her very much!