How much is my horse worth?

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
First of all I want to make sure I can do this before I ask!! I have placed an ad on the H&H website already I just want to ask the forumites whether he is overpriced or what they think!

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
Thanks will do

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/classifieds/details.aspx?pu=BPmXvHOJFapxpHa6zlSgMw&cu=975&kw=at%2017.3hh%20and%20over&ca=&st=&at=2&ag=975*26058533*HHO:294153&pg=1&si=CAT*1**0&sr=h&cr=1&sn=1&kwe=17.3hh%20and%20over%20$h214&ref=http%3a%2f%2fwww.horseandhound.co.uk%2fforums%2fshowthread.php_f2_t=511215&cc=2.1

Is he way overpriced? He is just registered to go SJI so will be jumping and have a record in a couple of weeks. My only problem is that I'm pregnant and only have a couple of months to ride him before I can't ride anymore!

LeannePip

Visit site
i think its a fair price to ask based on the advert and some one out there might pay it however horses aren't selling like they used to so be prepapred to accept less. people know its a buyers market and they'll get you as low as tehy possibly can, we had a sweet little mare in to sell a couople of months back she'd done PN eventing hunted pony club, very honest no vices ect and she was advertised at £4750 for a pony club home she really was a gem and after a lot of time wasters she was finally sold for £3000

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
Thanks LP, yes I would be prepared to accept less. I just don't want to give him away as I think he has alot of talent. I've had him 4 years and I would love to take him further in the eventing and SJ but as I mentioned I am now pregnant so won't have the time for him!!

forestfantasy

Visit site
I think he's on the expensive side for this financial climate, especially with a previous wind op - that will put a lot of people off.
As LeannePip says - be prepared for hagglers & taking less money :)

kp31

Visit site
Hmm considering he has had a wind op i would think in the present climate he is rather at the top end! There are literally hundreds of horses out there and buyers have their pick. I have a lovely one for sale at the moment who has won over £250 show jumping, will turn his hoof to anything and i am nowhere near that amount and have been struggling to sell for a long time. Even though i paid over double what he is being sold for. I have had to go with market conditions and it is a buyers market. So good luck.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think he's expensive too.

But, what a stunning animal, although it would be nice to see a ridden vid. Good luck with the sale.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I also think he's a stunning horse, just my type however:

- He's 18hh - that is going to put a lot of people off
- You're in Ireland - and I believe that the market there is even worse than here

So, given the current market conditions and the above, I would agree that he's overpriced as well :( Sorry

be positive

Visit site
Lovely horse, the market for something his size may be more limited, do you throw in a free step ladder:D
I would make more of his ability as a hunter if you readvertise there may be more people looking for a big impressive hunter than a comp. horse, its a shame that he cannot show, due to the wind op, as WH would be something else.

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
That's interesting thank you for all the feed back. I thought I would be better advertising the competition side of him rather than the hunting side at this time of year. My BF who is a master hunts him aswell.

I will also get a ridden video of him.

lcharles

Visit site
Superb Eventer/SJ/Hunter. He has hunted for 3 and a half seasons in Ireland. He competed last year at Pre-Novice the equivalent to BE100. He was placed twice.(out of how many times? being placed twice out of three times is obv better than twice out of twelve times? He has also been placed at a number of Riding Club jumping competitions and unaffliated dressage and SJ. Competing between 1m and 1m10. He has had a successful wind op as a 6 yr old. He is a beautiful mover with 3 balanced paces. He has a fabulous scopey jump with the ability to go very far. He has a beautiful and kind temperment for a big horse. His sire is Condios(Holsteiner) and Dam is Molliestone(TB x ID) by Touchstone(ID). Genuine reason for sale.

I wouldnt personally say he's a 'superb eventer/sj/hunter' if he's only been placed twice/not won, he's also only been placed (again not won) at riding club comps and unaff dressage and sj....not bsja. 'A successful wind op' sounds like its an achievement :confused: x

i would say you need to re-word your advert or reduce your price as i've just paid £3k for a horse very similar to what you've described but with bsja winnings. I would not pay £10k for a horse that has only done unaffiliated stuff and hunted. Hunt yards may be interested though as a pure hunter (i like the ditch jumping picture!) but i do think thats a steep price or you need to re-word it! x

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
Fair enough LC, but he was placed twice out 5 times with Eventing Ireland and his record can be got online.

The reason I say successful is that alot of wind ops aren't successful.

lcharles

Visit site
I think you should state that he was placed twice out of five times as that sounds better than just being placed twice.

I agree that not all wind ops are successful, but i would say 'Price reflects hobday operation, succesfully compleated in 2005' as an example. My mare has had a hobday and it didnt put me off at all, i actually thought it was good that the advert stated this rather than wait for me to call them and then tell me. Shows honestly and a genuine seller in my eyes :) x

Puzzles

Visit site
I have nothing constructive to say about price, but I have to say that he's absolutely incredible - I just can't get over the photos of him jumping the enormous gate and ditch! He sounds like a really special horse, good luck with the sale.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Personally I'd swop the vid- the pics are fab, the vid shows him ignoring you! I've only looked on the phone but can't see a canter aid (I may be totally wrong- damn iPhone!!) and he goes on in canter despite you repeatedly asking him for trot.

It's the carriage driver in me- sorry!!

Can you get someone else to take the vid? Other horses in the same price bracket as him seem to have almost pro vids where they are attached to ads- showing the horse under saddle in all paces, how they pull up am jump and an in hand trot up- if you're marketing over here a vid can save the cost of a ferry or flight and is likely to make an English buyer more interested.

He is nice though- but I wouldn't pay that much for one with a wind op- though great that you are upfront about it!

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
No your right i just stuck the first vid of him up! Going for a sj lesson next week so will get the trainer to take a good video of me riding him. will also drop the cost. I really appreciate the critique!!!