How much is the going rate... (also in Hunting and CR)

Mugsgame

Visit site
to pay somebody competant to;

1. Muck out? (Straw boxes, plus hay, water and tidy).

2. Clip?

3. Exercise for 45 mins?

4. Lunge a horse for upto 30 mins (including getting tacked up first and a wash off after?).

Sorry if this is a bit ambiguous, ineterested to hear people's experiences and oppinions... do people pay in units, ie so much per box, or ££ by the hour... if paying by the hour, how much do you expect to get done?

Would you charge/ pay less if the owner's clippers were used to clip the horse involved?

And for excercising would you pay per ride or per hour? Would there be a difference between someone schooling and hacking?

Would you discount for multiple horses?!

Thanks in advance... have stopped thinking of questions now!!!!!
cool.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Are you looking to employ someone to work for you, and these will form part of their duties?

Or one off's - and different people doing these jobs?

Mugsgame

Visit site
Well... more for my information really, much as it would be nice for someone to do my chores!!!
wink.gif

I know quite a few freelance people who all seem to charge different rates! Having had this discussion with a lot of them I am curious to know how wide the variance is in different locations!

Also it seems it depends on whether people are working for hunting stables or individuals, etc! One of them charges the same to clip a horse regardless of whether she uses her own or the owners clippers... does anyone else do that? Some seem to charge by the amount of hair removed, others by time... and these two are often completely the opposite of each other!!

I think I am completely missing how people figure out their prices!!!
confused.gif

Steeleydan

Visit site
I do a bit of freelance work like what you have stated, I would charge £6.50 per hour for the yard work and riding/lunging, but I would charge £35 each to fully clip your horses, using my own clippers but would stipulate the horses are fully bathed and cleaned the day before, dirty horses wreck blades and I cant abide it.
But for the hour I am doing the clipping or 2hrs if thats what it took, I dont charge the hourly rate for clipping time thats just the flat £35.
Plus if I had to travel more than 5miles to your place it would be 35p per mile round trip for petrol.

bethyboox

Visit site
Hi,

i've seen people charge from £3-5 for a muck out etc, clip I would expect to pay £30, if they were my clippers then maybe £20 - 25?
Not sure about exercising/lunging.
At current yard the groom charges £6 a day for livery, this includes feed/hay/water in the morning, rug change, turnout, muckout, feeds/hay made, bring in, rug change and pick out feet. they used to charge £8 at my old place.
Hope this helps!