How much is this horse worth?

meleeka

Visit site
16hh unregistered mare. 21 years old, ride and drive. (Although not been driven for years and not ridden since last year). Sane and sensible although not a plod. Mildly arthritic which may well be sorted by a supplement, but would probably fail a vetting.

What do you think she’s worth on the open market?

HeyMich

Visit site
Who is trying to sell a 21 yr old arthritic horse? Not sure there would be much of a market... As a gentle and safe field companion maybe, but then you need to think of the probable vet costs over the next few years.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I think it would have trouble selling at any price. If it was fit and sound then there would be more interest, but out of work and mildly arthritic? There are much less risky options if you want a companion horse.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I can’t quite work out why anyone would seek to sell such a horse .
It has no value except for meat .

And only meat money if she has NOT been signed out of the meat chain. I HOPE you're not trying to sell her, meleeka. If you want her, offer her a good home - end of.

meleeka

Visit site
Thanks folks.

NOT MY HORSE!!

You’ve all confirmed what I thought. She’s been offered to me as owner knows I’m very attached to her. The trouble is they want money for her and I need to decide what I’m willing to pay to secure her future. It’s a real head v heart situation and I’m In a quandary. Without going into too much detail she could really do with a good home, but at what cost? I think the owner would rather keep her than give her away 🙄☹️

Last edited:

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
What are they planning to do with her if you don't buy her?
I wouldn't want to pay more than a few hundred quid but if they are neglecting her or going to sell her on, then that might make a difference if you are already attached to her.

be positive

Visit site
It probably wont help if they are not listening to reason but as an example of value a few years ago clients of mine paid £1 for a 20 year old pony that was not in work, he was not neglected but his owners had no way to keep him and were considering pts rather than pass him on, he came back to work for 2 years and was then sold to another client on my yard this time for £500 but that included full tack and rugs, he is still enjoying work and his future is secure as he will remain in this ownership or mine for the rest of his life.

I think they are using emotional blackmail and only you know how much you are prepared to pay, if the horse is being neglected a visit from the local BHS welfare officer may make them more realistic about her value.

meleeka

Visit site
It probably wont help if they are not listening to reason but as an example of value a few years ago clients of mine paid £1 for a 20 year old pony that was not in work, he was not neglected but his owners had no way to keep him and were considering pts rather than pass him on, he came back to work for 2 years and was then sold to another client on my yard this time for £500 but that included full tack and rugs, he is still enjoying work and his future is secure as he will remain in this ownership or mine for the rest of his life.

That is very helpful, thanks 😀

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks folks.

NOT MY HORSE!!

You’ve all confirmed what I thought. She’s been offered to me as owner knows I’m very attached to her. The trouble is they want money for her and I need to decide what I’m willing to pay to secure her future. It’s a real head v heart situation and I’m In a quandary. Without going into too much detail she could really do with a good home, but at what cost? I think the owner would rather keep her than give her away 🙄☹️

How desperately sad 😨. I hope you can make them see sense.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Oh dear, poor horse. If the owners are motivated by money rather than the security of her future, which it sounds like they may be, I think you'd need to match what they're likely to get elsewhere.....I.e more than £1. £200 or so?

Maybe pointing out that vets bills might start appearing in the next few years might help them to realise that a low figure is actually a huge saving for them?

Velcrobum

Visit site
This is sounding a bit like the thread Penny Less who wanted to do the best thing for the horse she had on loan that had "issues" was valueless but one owner wanted money. What sort of sum are the owners looking at if you don't mind saying OP??

Summit

Visit site
There are some harsh comments here. There are loads of arthritic horses much younger than this and by no means shouldn’t be written off just because she’s been out of work and 21 years of age.

Plus you can’t assume an owner of an older horse is going to be burdened by Illness or injury...again, how many posts do we see with younger horses who are already suffering with degenerate diseases.

I bought my horse last year at 19, he’s now 20. He’d been out of work and neglected but suited my requirements of hacking. What a fab horse he’s turned into...doesn’t look a day over 12

OP the horse is worth what you want to pay :)