How much is your horse REALLY worth?

Blizzard

Visit site
And no I dont mean 'he is priceless to me'
wink.gif
, I mean in terms of cash!
smile.gif

Looking at horse prices these days its obvious that many sellers arent getting the prices they are asking...and I do wonder where some people selling get their prices from!

So I was wondering what you think your own horses are worth?
grin.gif

I dont mean what they could 'potentially' be worth, or what you paid, but what you think would be a realistic price for them if in theory they were to go for sale.
smile.gif
(with a brief description)

Curious to see if our opinions reflect the market!

I will start I guess:

Beau,17.3hh 6yr ISH x BWB by Ramiro B.
DSC081981.jpg

Good conformation.
Prev owner paid 10k for him for 'potential'
smirk.gif
at sports horse sales.
Has beautiful paces, decent lateral work, flying changes etc, jumps 4ft, taught my nervous novice OH to ride, has never put a foot wrong, amazing temperment, no vices, anyones ride, 100% safe, hacks alone/company. Totally genuine will never use anything against you.Same if ridden once a month or every day.

If I were to put him up for sale today, I would ask £5000.
smile.gif

Realistic??

Lance, 16.2hh Latvian warmblood, 18yrs old.
lancetrotnice.jpg

Real school master, Evented up to 3 day, won numerous 1 days, won lots of hunter trials, competed elementary dressage successfully. Still 100% sound and capable!
Excellent hack alone/in company. No vices.
Will be very lazy for a novice but fab ride for someone who knows what to ask for.
was offered 5k for him last yr to do RC level with a family.

I would say £4000.

Now I may be way off with mine but Im just going on what I would expect to pay.
smile.gif

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
Interesting post.

I would say Jerry realistcally is worth £3500 as his worth is really just potential
IMG_1427.jpg

16.1/2hh IDxTB 5yrs, huge jump, broken late, fantastic paces, very bold, tricky flatwork (as in very sharp) xc schooled and been sj once.

But its tricky as to replace him I would have to spend a hell of a lot more...

eta details

Solstar

Visit site
ok, here goes-

Solo.
I paid £2000 for him 5 years ago.
16.1hh brown TB gelding. very good looking, 12 years old. 100% box, shoe, clip, catch, in traffic, etc......absolute saint to deal with on the ground, goes well in a double bridle, had some success at showing (local level)....BUT can be very fizzy, certaintly not a novice ride, he is very strong, not too good in open fields.

£1000?

Red.
We paid £1000 in august.
15hh chesnut hackney x gelding. 17 years old. 100% to box, shoe, clip, traffic, catch, etc. schoolmaster in show jumping, could do a decent dressage test(with right jockey!), excellent little hunter. quiet, novice ride but fizzes up when you ask more of him.

£2500?

lexiedhb

Visit site
I'd say a bit less for lance but only because of his age..... not that I dont think he is really really lovely though!!

My old Irish TB cost me £1500.... LOL, and he did everything... bless him.... I would imagine i would have to pay £2.5-3k for him if it were now... but it was a very long time ago!

Have no idea what they paid for my share horse 17hh, warmblood i think, hunts all day, ex Grade A show jumper apparently... but really excels at XC and hunting... 13 years old?? I would expect 4k maybe???

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I would say Bruce is worth about £5k

He is jumping double clears at discovery and once I get my arse in gear and do a couple of intros he will be worth about £6 I should think.

Though I am not sure becasue horses of his stamp are going for £10k in horse and hound!

ETS That is realistic but he was bought over from Holland as a three an a half year old and they paid 35,000 euros for him....I still have the reciept....but to me this is daft for a gelding...let alone one they went and ruined and took a year to sort out!
grin.gif

JenHunt

Visit site
16.2 IDx 12y.o bay gelding. wonderful calm temperament. done a bit of everything. has been field masters horse in Ireland and England. last 3 years done riding club (inc intermediate HT champs 2007), BE PN, unaffiliated ODE, XC and TC. loves to jump, works in novice outline, willing and honest. relatively novice OH has taken him hunting. hacks out alone or in company. can be excitable so not really a novice ride. loads into anything, travels beautifully. good with vet, farrier, dentist, any other horse (they all love him). doesn't mind living in or out, on his own or in company.
has vitiligo on his face (no effects other than needing suncream in summer).

I paid 3500 for him 3 years ago, would be asking 4500 now due to improvement in his schooling, and the competitive experience he has now.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Have no idea what they paid for my share horse 17hh, warmblood i think, hunts all day, ex Grade A show jumper apparently... but really excels at XC and hunting... 13 years old?? I would expect 4k maybe???

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is quiet and anyones ride I would say more!

The one thing you cant put a price on IMO is safety, if Beau or Lance were at all quirky or difficult at all I would knock a couple of grand off each of them.

For me safety is the most important thing, and I think this is where peoples prices can differ a lot, for example someone wanting a horse to bring on and compete, ie a youngster, would probably say £1500 for Lance because of his age, but someone wanting a school master to show them the ropes who is 100% safe and been there and done it, well like i said a famiy offered 5k last yr, simply because they wanted a safe horse for their daughter to do everything with..not that he was for sale!
grin.gif

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, difficult one! Goddy- rising 6yr old 16.1hh ISH. 100% Box hack shoe clip etc, easy horse to do, Consistantly getting 60%+ dressage at prelim and Nov, gaining 63.5% first Nov reg getting 8's for paces. Won and placed Unaff ODE with 30 dressage both times, placed trailblazers SJing and qual second ronds at 75cm and 85cm, happily jumping 95cm courses with clear Sjing at last Intro. Qual second round trailblazer Dressage prelim. Placed county showing inhand as 3yr old, straight good looking horse. Bad point being inconsistant BE record mainly due to muppet here! I would put him up at 5.5k because of that...?!?! Thoughts?

DSC00081.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

Jump-1.jpg

moodymare1987

Visit site
Erm not sure what ben would be worth.
He is cbxtb nice hunter type. very safe. Jumps 4ft for fun. Does not bother about anything at all. Moves well etc. He is priceless to me as he is what I wanted to do some shows with. I paid £3400 for him but people have offered me a lot of money for him but no idea what he actually is worth.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would add another 1K for good looks
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to say more money because he is so handsome!

People pay more for a good looking horse!
grin.gif

I_A_P

Visit site
i think the horse i have just sold was definatly worth £7k and that is what she sold for...purely on dressage and xc records and results as well as having the most fantastic temperment and the fact she is safe....she also had a lot of potential to do and do well aff dressage

lexiedhb

Visit site
Boris isnt nasty but isnt anyones ride as like Lance is a LAZY sod if you dont get after him, or dont know what you are doing!!

When I tried him I was mortified as i had to do proper pony club kicking just to get him into trot....... didnt think they would want me to share but turns out he does that with everyone new.... now we are much more forward thinking, thanks to me schooling him 3 times a week... even the owner got on him the other day and went "hes so off your leg and round... you've done really well with him".......

Also he can be a bit strong when out and about but theat is cured by a double bridle.... i'd say he was very safe as he'll just plod for a novice....

TGM

Visit site
Sprite:

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0044011.jpg

spritexpolecropped.jpg

8yo Connemara x TB bay mare. Safe hack with lazy temperament. Has done a few local dressage tests and will jump small fences but lacks spark for competition work. Occasionally very difficult to load.

£2.50 or near offers!
tongue.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Erm not sure what ben would be worth.
He is cbxtb nice hunter type. very safe. Jumps 4ft for fun. Does not bother about anything at all. Moves well etc. He is priceless to me as he is what I wanted to do some shows with. I paid £3400 for him but people have offered me a lot of money for him but no idea what he actually is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of his size, temperment, looks etc, I would expect to pay 6k for him.

Very safe big horses are hard to find...again its all relative though,lots of people wouldnt want a BFG like ben or beau so would value them at less, I guess it goes to show a horse is only worth hat you are willing to pay!
grin.gif

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I was reading the sales ads in HH this morning and thinking that prices are crazy ATM. You see one 16hh horse for sale that has done intro and ready to go PN at £5,000 and the next horse is a coloured cob that has hacked around a farm and is up for £6500. People just make a number up these days, I would be tempted to buy from a dealer personally as I think a lot of private sellers just pick a figure out of the air.

As for my horse, I would advertise her at about the £4000 mark and hope to get just under that. She would be worth more if she was affiliated but I don't have transport yet...
frown.gif
She's a really nice fun all round riding club horse but could BSJA/BE easily.

15.2hh, 12yrs old, well schooled, super jump and very fast against the clock, currently being place at 3' SJ but would easily go higher. XC schoolmistress - jumps anything! Straightforward to hack, hunt, shoe, box, clip, lives in or out. Lively and keen but not crazy ride - snaffle mouthed (except XC).

moodymare1987

Visit site
Lol well I have had people just come over and say are you selling him etc. Name your price and you got it. I didnt even say anything ben is staying
laugh.gif

But It was nice that people really did like him enough to offer a price. Even people who have taken us to shows have offered to buy him lol. They dont even know what his temperament is like .

beatrice

Visit site
QR
This is quite interesting!!
For Bea: 16.2hh 6yr old IDxTB (register sports horse) 70% + Prelim aff, lateral work is getting there, jumped double clears BSJA a few times, 1m20 is very very easy for her, xc schooled and is bold, She has never stopped since i have had her. hacks alone and in company although more spooky on her own, She is a tricky mare (as in sensitive and can tense up very easily) however since i have had her she is really chilling out! No bother to do on the ground, loves travelling (jumps up the ramp!) however she needs sedating to be clipped but that is something i will be working on.
I paid just under £5000 6 months ago, i would like at least £5000 as her lateral work is better, she is a much calmer and easier horse to do and has done more xc with me.

Josh on the other hand i only bought 5 weeks ago so would probs want the same back however he was poor condition wise and is looking better now, and has now been clipped etc, which he hadn't ever before i got him.
Hes a 16hh Welsh section D, 8 but green, bombproof, ok flatwork, quite bold over fences. (he was bought for my novice mum and sis) Hes generally just a handy type. We paid £4000 inc tack for him.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lol well I have had people just come over and say are you selling him etc. Name your price and you got it. I didnt even say anything ben is staying
laugh.gif

But It was nice that people really did like him enough to offer a price. Even people who have taken us to shows have offered to buy him lol. They dont even know what his temperament is like .

[/ QUOTE ]

Bless! He attracts attention because he is soo handsome!
grin.gif

Stoxx

Visit site
Osc is a 16.3hh 14yr old IDxTB. Not the best conformation and a dippy back. Has got 40 odd BD points at novice level. Working at elementary at home. Won and placed at prelim, nov and elem at unaff level. Not easy to get on but once you are on is pretty much as good as gold. He has to be persuaded to work correctly though! Relatively safe hack.
Roars and has to be treated as cold backed.
Can't imagine anyone ever wanting to buy him so wouldn't have a clue about value!! Prob £1500??

ETS: easy to take out on your own, loads as good as gold etc etc

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Touchy, 13,safe reliable hack, capable jump (1.20m+ at home) decent dressage (mid 30's eventing) but doesnt like big shows, so would excel as a RC schoolmistress, I would say about £3000???
Sovereign, 9, ex-racehorse, the most loving horse in the stable, easy to do everything with, but a fruitcake to ride, although quite talented at dressage and awesome xc, sj is coming to, in view of his 'quirkiness' I would say £1500
Emerald, 6, ex racehorse,nice paces, but a bit riggy, quite lazy and immature, but an immense jump. Grumpy in the stable. £2000

Oh my God now I am thinking I should sell them!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

ETS they all cost me the grand total of £0!!!

wench

Visit site
well mine - 10 yo tb x id (i think) lw hunter type anyway. Absolute saint, unless your very very nervous, then he will take the piss a bit. Not done much until i got him, but has been hunting, sj, ht, dressage and unaff ODE. Not got anywhere in any of them, but you can try anything on him, Hacks on his own, and is excellent in company and open fields. Needs work on his jumping as he gets it into his head that he cant jump a course thats over 2ft (but with more work he could do 1m +). doesnt really work in an outline, but partially due to numpty owner (me). If i was to sell him, or buy one like him I would say £4k. (I bought him for a lot less than that - bargin!)

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
16.2hh 5 year old bay IDxTB gelding. Professional backed at 4 and turned away, just being brought back into work. Very good manners, can be handled by a novice. Sound of wind and limb, though he is believed to possibly have a windgall at the moment.
£1,000

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
16.2hh 5 year old bay IDxTB gelding. Professional backed at 4 and turned away, just being brought back into work. Very good manners, can be handled by a novice.
£1k-1.2k

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, so little? I would have said at LEAST 2k...at least.
smile.gif

Scarlett

Visit site
Darcy - 5yo Tb exracer gelding - 15.3hh.
Jumping small coloured courses (always clear) , has been xc schooled proved to be pretty bold, ok flatwork, been to small local comps, 100% at everything and no vices. Snaffle mouth. Has blemish on leg and sugar intollerance. Great wee allrounder though, and not a typical exraccer.
Would expect £2500 for him now and if we do go Intro next year (crosses everything) then closer to £4k.
DSCF4178-1.jpg

Pinky - 4yo Tb exracer mare - 16hh
Sweetest nature imaginable, utterly bombproof in all situations, brilliant to hack out, been dressage, xc and sj without any fuss. 100% in all ways and no vices. Snaffle mouth.
Would expect £2000 for her now, and £3.5k once better schooled and doing ODE's.
DSCF4131.jpg

Does that seam fair? Are they worth less because of their exracer tag?