How much linseed oil?

Highflinger

Visit site
Hello
I am just going to start feeding my boys linseed oil for the first time. I have bought a 5lt bottle but have no idea how much to feed as no dosage on bottle! They are 14.2 & 15H and I will be feeding to help itchiness and for condition as both are over 20 and want to give them a little help over winter. They live out 24/7 on good grazing and a token feed of sugar beet and pony nuts which will increase as grass goes and hay introduced.
Thanks

still standing

Visit site
I feed linseed oil to my (semi) retired horse, aged 22, 16.1 ISH, who like yours also lives out full-time. I start each year around September, stop when the good grass comes in. There's no dosage on my containers either! So I start with a small 'gloop' (about 2 tablespoons) and then gradually increase over a week until he's getting about 3 'gloops'! He seems fine staying on this level and keeps condition over the winter. As yours are smaller, less may do fine. I know it's not very scientific but it's quick when preparing his feed and prevents keeping an oily measure around the feed area. But if you want to measure, for him it's about half a small cup.

lashlake

New User
Visit site
I feed my 3 Simple micronised linseed - much cheaper and more palatable. They each have 2 scoops (small blue scoops - 5mg?) twice daily and look wonderful. They are Welsh cobs aged 1, 13 and 21 x

Casey76

Visit site
I have a measured pump on mine, so they start on 30ml and go up to 90 depending on how they are feeling.

If they have micronized linseed, then they start on 250ml, and go up to 500ml twice a day in the middle of winter.

Caveat* my horses have PSSM and use fat as an energy source, so they have less tendency to use it for weight gain than “normal” horses.