How much money do you actually save by doing DIY...

wench

Visit site
Once you have taken into account purchase of feed/hay/bedding etc...

Assuming no fuel costs as yard is within walking distance of home?

Polos Mum

Visit site
When I was on full livery I worked out that the 'profit' they earned to cover their time would certainly not be minimum wage!
I guess it depends a bit on the area you're in and the yards available within walking distance and whether you value your time or not.

By my calculations not much at all!! Most people seem to do it becasue it gives them more time/ control over what happens and when with their horse (ie they are the only person handling it).

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Personally having been on DIY since I've had horses some 20+ yrs its just come to realise its for me cost effective to either go part or full livery now as minus fuel costs it really isn't much cheaper although do believe it depends on your area and yards
I do enjoy DIY though

conkers

Visit site
Don't think I'd save anything if I went DIY. In fact, if I factored in a basic cost for my time, Full Livery actually works out a lot cheaper.

I do love doing them myself but can't due to my job. And the peace of mind I get from knowing they will get looked after regardless of what I'm doing is priceless.

exracer superstar

Visit site
Costs me 98 a month in winter for DIY at my yard including haylage and straw adlib.In summer iI pay 55 a month for my stable/grazing then if I need to have her in my hay straw will go on top. To have full it would work out 200 + travel.So yes it works out very cheap for me. This is for one horse (tb). Obviously I have hard feed n shoes etc on top

Frosty89

Visit site
My yard has just changed from Part/full livery only to DIY only and I'm £11 a month better off on DIY than I was before :confused:

Dizzleton

Visit site
I'm on DIY that is £25 pwph (stabling, grazing, use of arena etc) We have a free turning out/bringing in system which is great.

Winter Costs:
£100 p/m livery fee
£400 on hay (£3.50 a square bale), haylage (£30 a round bale) and straw (£1.80 a square bale) to last all winter
£30 p/m on feed
£1.50 p/h for floodlights
That's about it!

Summer Costs:
£100 p/m livery fee
£15 p/m on feed
No hay/haylage/straw
£50 one off payment for field topping

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
I have been doing the calculations recently as am thinking of moving horse from grass DIY ( have a stable but don't use it as can live out 24/7) to assisted DIY (turn in / out 7 days a week plus rugging and feeding) inclusive hay and 1 bale of bedding a week - nearer home (10 min drive as opposed to 20 min drive) and I will actually be better off...

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Based on a 4 week month mine costs about £100 per month in winter. From what I have seen full livery would cost about £100 per week and part livery around £70 per week. So really its saving me quite alot given that it only takes me 15 minutes a day to muck out etc.

Jango

Visit site
For stable/grazing and ad lib hay on DIY it costs me £146 a month, then bedding is around £30. We have fab facilities too. Our yard doesn't offer full livery, but other yards that offer Full livery charge £90 a week + so doing him myself saves over £150 a month. There's no way I could afford to have him on full livery! Luckily the yard is only 3 miles from my house and on the way to work so fuel costs don't really affect it either.

Abacus

Visit site
I don't think I would save a lot if I did both ends of every day due to the fuel and travel time.

I think it works out ok if you set it up, as we have done, on a rota so that 3 of us do our horses between us. Less travelling and fuel, and no one has to go twice a day.

hnmisty

Visit site
I'm in the process of buying, I thought the yard I was at charged £130 a month for Mon-Fri am feed turnout (what I asked about when I first contacted), now been told I've got to pay someone else £2/day for them to feed and turnout in the morning. So DIY would save me £40 a month. Not mega impressed with that, tbh, as I thought I was already paying for that.

ETS: now wonder if the yard I've currently got a loan at would be cheaper, as hay and straw are included in the price, but their turnout isn't very good at all...their DIY is £36 a month, part livery cost is depending on what you want. Already worrying a bit about cost of hay and straw throughout the winter (he'll hopefully be out 24/7 as soon as I get him) a bit, having it included would be less of a worry. That yard is more hectic though. Thinking I will see how it goes over the summer... (£156 a month for DIY including hay and straw, or at new yard £130 a month not including hay and straw)

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
When he was on 7 day livery is was £185 a week! DIY is £65 a month for field and stable. I probably spend about £40 a month on feed and then hay on top. Still a huge saving :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
Aside from the money aspect, I'd feel I was losing part of owning a horse is someone else did my jobs for me!

neweventer

Visit site
I'm saving on full livery (although my full livery is very cheap, which I'm not complaining about). In save about £8 a week per horse. Previously on a DIY yard I spent (each horse) £28 on the stable, £10 on my field(s), £12 on straw £10 on hay (you had to buy off yard) £10+ on hard feed (a bag of baileys number 4 a week) as well as the odd to/bi service at £1.50 a time. The yard I'm on at the minute isn't as pretty to look at but I have use of an indoor, brilliant hacking, all year turn out and very knowledgable owners which are worth their weight in gold.

I don't have to worry about mucking out turning out/bringing in. It means I get more time to spend grooming/riding. Even if I had more time I think I would leave as I am. Yes on DIY you get a bit more say, but I think if it's well run it tends to be splitting hairs ie, exact feed. I would us another brand but my horses are well cared for and look very well)

nic85

Visit site
The yard I am on do mainly DIY (£120/monthextras on top and I buy in own hay and bedding) but offer full/part/assisted livery if you need it.

Problem is they have 16 of their own horses so I know their time is taken up by this. Mind most of the full livery they had were the sorts of people who turn up once in a blue moon so better for the horse to be on full livery than not.

Im not sure of costs as they offer a package suited to you.

I couldnt afford full livery and to be honsest, even if I could I wouldnt take it. I much prefer to do my own horse :D

ETA I think on some yards, full livery works out cheaper for Multiple horse owners

claireandnadia

Visit site
Living in Surrey the full livery prices are about £700 ish and I've got a horse and pony and there is no way I spend anywhere near £1400 on both so its DIY all the way for me.

ecrozier

Visit site
Where I am, the DIY is £185 PCM including hay. Bedding is pellets and I use approx 8 bags a month between two, so call it 4 each, at £3.50 each - so works out at £14 PCM, feed is £13.50 a bag, four bags a month again between two so £27. So forgetting shoes, lessons etc as those would be extra anyway, my livery costs me £226 a month.... Full livery on same yard is £485! It's about 1.5 miles from home, on way to station for work.

Shutterbug

Visit site
One horse on full livery at my last yard - £346 a month - that includes stables, field, all hay and feed (feed is the same for all horses and is very basic) shavings and mucking out.

Two horses on DIY including hay, feed (good quality feed) and shavings and me mucking out £370 a month (for both of them) - I would be £692 a month for both on full livery :eek:

No contest really

Gracie21

Visit site
:O I feel like a right cheap skate...!!!

I pay £50pcm for DIY 24/7 grazing.... Plus round bale of hay a month £40, plus feed/supps £15-20 a month. So that's £105-£110 a month!

I'm saving £85-£100 a month compared to when I was on DIY livery :) If I could afford it I'd have him on part livery I would, but I like to save money where I can ;)

dressageforever

Visit site
Have been on full livery, they used cheap shavings sparingly! They feed cheap feeds, they were tight with Haylage and tighter still with turnout. Any supplements or special diets had to be provided by me, so it's not really possible for me to compare like with like.

Also having 4 it's cheaper and the peace of mind that they are done properly with enough hay feed bedding and turnout is well worth the extra work.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Once you have taken into account purchase of feed/hay/bedding etc...

Assuming no fuel costs as yard is within walking distance of home?

Most of my liveries were DIY till they came here, they worked out it was around £ 10 different and with that they have to muck out bring in etc.

WOC its cheaper to be part livery

Part liveries on special diets and their supplements are supplied by the owner(s). other wise OP livery is everything included except riding and tack cleaning.

to me part livery is for those with kids , or work full time, this livery to me is understandable.

Full livery what I call full livery

which is everything done by yard
riding tack clean feeding turnout
grooming etc

This I don't see the point of having a horse if everything is done for you

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dizzleton

Visit site
And I dont see the point if your a total slave to a horse... and don't have any time to ride because your too busy shovelling up ****e

I don't see mucking out, feeding, grooming, bonding etc as being a 'total slave' to a horse. You take the bad with the good and it's all part of horse owing..

Sure, there are some miserable winter days where after working 8.30 - 5pm I'd rather just go home knowing my horse is sorted for me; but seeing my boys face everyday is better than anything else I could of been doing. Besides, even if I don't have time to ride everyday I still love doing anything horsey and giving him the attention he deserves than getting brought in, fed, rug changed and then left without so much as a pat on the neck.

Yes, I do understand why people have full livery (kids, work, travelling etc) and I have nothing against that, but I would rather the full package of horse owning.