How much notice livery

showjumperlady

Visit site
If you are on livery with no contract how much notice do you have to give?

confused.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I would give a month (assuming you pay monthly). You could give no notice if you have no contact - depends if there's any chhance you may want/need to go back there!!!

UKa

community.webshots.com
would to as Benjamin suggests - else, if you dont mind burning bridges you dont have to give any notice at all but in all fairness I would always try and give some sort of notice and leave on friendly terms

airedale

Visit site
yep - week if weekly pay or month if monthly pay - but as said - don't burn bridges - there have been any number of posts on here about moving to new yards and it not working out in reality.

So if you pay monthly I'd give a months notice and make sure that any disbursements on your behalf by the YO are paid up to date (e.g. worming).

If you pay weekly to be fair to the YO I'd give 2 weeks notice - at least that gives them a chance of filling the stable. If you are a purely grass livery then I'd only give a week as this time of year one less horse out in a field mullering it is probably good news to a YO.

Never burn bridges. You never know when you may need to cross them again. Also leaving on good terms should mean that YO won't slag you off to your new yard if she/he is that way inclined and has got upset with you.

Now if the reason for you leaving is due to lack of horse care on the YO behalf then leave on good terms AND report the yard to the BHS. The BHS are a horse welfare organisation and will inspect yards even if they are not BHS approved establishments.

I reported a yard 10 years ago that I used to drive past on my way to work. The fields looked like they were arable and the crop was oil seed rape - except it was ragwort. I reported the yard to the BHS and they dealt with it - and the YO mowed the fields in rotation and removed the horses whilst the ragwort disinegrated. I also noticed that the fields were sprayed the next year and this is long before the ragwort bill.

So anyone that has a serious (not just an altercation/niggle) but a SERIOUS horse welfare issue with their YO should report the yard to the BHS. They do good work with livery yards and with the new animal welfare bill constructive advice for improvement may actually help not only the liveries but the YO of a less than adequate yard.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
According to how your rent is paid is the norm, so weekly/monthly whatever.
Do not under any circumstances "walk" without notice, think how you would feel if the boot were on the other foot and you got no notice you had to quit..
I wish people would stop the feeling that yard owners get cross when someone leaves, yes you might think "Damn, I'm going to have to find a client to fill that gap" but that's all. YO understand people leave for a million reasons, they aren't happy with the regimes, the grazing, it's too far to drive to, the hacking is rubbish etc, and truly they accept it without ever saying anything to you, just give them the appropriate notice, thank them for any help (wine or chocs goes down well!) as in my case one woman knocked on our door at least five nights a week for advice despite seeing us eating through the window at the time..
If you stopped renting a house or bought from a different supermarket you wouldn't expect comeback so why do people think there will be from a livery yard?
The key thing is be as pleasant as possible, leave your storage and stable spotless and pay anything you owe before you leave, do that and I'm sure you will be welcomed back if you hate the new place.
Oh and before I forget, there are a breed of horseowners who move yards like changing their clothes, often they have tried every yard within a 20 mile radius, and livery owners always talk to each other when they meet, anyone leaving with a bad reputation gets it spread to other yards. (not suggesting for a second you are one of these or you would know the notice answer!)
wink.gif

showjumperlady

Visit site
Thanks for the replys.

I would never just walk away thats not the way to do things,but i do need to be off in two weeks due to circumstnaces,but i pay monthly,i did mention it a while ago that i was not sure if i would be stopping so YO has been aware for a few weeks and to be honest i can't afford to pay two sets of livery before xmas
frown.gif
its hard for me to explain all the circumstances on here..you just never know
wink.gif

Snowberry

Visit site
I am leaving our yard on Saturday (tomorrow) and gave a weeks notice - I dreaded telling the YO but she was really pleasant, asked for my reasons for leaving and accepted that I have different requirements.
Anyway, she was really nice about it and thanked me for the notice. I called her today about a horse that she may be interested in and everything is still on friendly terms. Still bricking it about moving tomorrow in case the new yard is just as bad or even worse
shocked.gif

heavensangel

Visit site
I have the same problem. However, she has asked me to leave giving one months notice from today. She then follows me home giving me my bill which has been rising every month by £50 for the last 4 months!! Gone from £25 per week to £76pw. Obviously now things have got very strained and I will be leaving. How do I stop her padlocking my stables?? (with my horses inside)

annaellie

Visit site
Legally they can not padlock yor horse in the stable on a yard I worked on a livery ran there bill up to over 1000 for one 14. ponie on DIY after asking and devising a payment plan for the owner to pay no payment was made even further livery so they paddlock the stable The owner called the police and yo was told to reclaim costs they have to go through the civil courts, and it could be a breech of animal welfare padlockin the horse in. In the end it all worked out as owner agreed to sign horse over to yo as payment of bill. This was a few years ago now so I would check it still stands but thats how it stood at the time.