How much? Opinons appreciated

Baileysno1

Visit site
Hi, my friend has seen a horse she likes and wants me to go with her for a second viewing tomorrow. He is a 7 year old chunky 15hh bay cob gelding. She advertised locally for a 'family cob type' and the seller contacted her, the horse has not actually been advertised yet. Anyway they rode him for her an in arena and although green he was obdient and popped a small fence too. My friend got on and said he did that typical green cob fast trot and stumbled into canter but apart from that she was happy. He is not in full work at the moment and is a little tubby. We plan to go Saturday and I'll ride too, we'll also get him on the road as my friend wishes to mainly hack and school for fun and to improve his flat work -shes not into jumping.

Now they want £2000-£2500 and have said his tack is negotiable, he has a fairly new fieldhouse gp a few rugs etc. Family cobs aren't really my area but for something thats 7 and still hasn't established canter I think this is a little dear I've suggested she offers £1500 they will say no so she will say £2000 to include saddle and a couple of rugs and arrange vetting for this week. Am I being stingy? They have been a bit furry with her over a price so I think we should go in for the kill, although I have told her its what hes worth to her and if she likes him enough to part with £2500 then so be it, what do you think?

dixie

Visit site
I think he is worth between around £2500. Having looked for something similar this year a nice type with no hang ups albeit green was really difficult to find down our way.

I suppose it also depends how long your friend has been looking and whether she is willing to keep on looking for other horses she likes at a lower price.

pottamus

Visit site
I think that is the going rate nowadays...I would want him good in traffic though. But the canter is fairly typical of a cob that has not done a lot of schooling, easily rectified. I paid £1500 for my papered and well bred Welsh D 3 years ago and he was in a similar 'green' condition. There is no way I would expect to replace him for that now...more like £3000 - £4000 for a decent one!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I would say that's spot on if not a little cheap! I'm looking at a 4 year old unbroken cob at the moment that's £3000. Cobs are in demand these days as people want safe hacks!

Abs

Visit site
I'd maybe negotiate on the tack/rugs depending on the quality and condition. Prices of horses are so emotive - it's worth what your friend can afford X how much she wants it X what else is on the market. I wouldn't be too hard on judging paces - personality is more important if she wants a nice happy hacker! In terms of price guide it's what I would expect to pay plus tack/rugs.

Baileysno1

Visit site
Thanks allot for the imput, we'll have a look on Saturday check him out in the traffic, and from how it sounds from everyones reaction if that goes well and he passes his vetting for £2k she may well be getting a bargain - although I'll have to see if we can't get that saddle chucked in!!!
wink.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I have to say my initial thought was £2.5k with tack
crazy.gif
There's very little room to manouever around that price and good safe hacks sell.

the watcher

Visit site
I bought something very similar about 18 months ago for £1800, but did get money knocked off as feet needed sorting and also teeth needed work..so £2,500 seems reasonable.
As for tack.. i have never yet been sold a horse with tack that actually fits properly so I think you can be a bit cool with that and see what they will throw in as a sweetener maybe.

siennamum

Visit site
Sounds a really sensible plan, but given that his steady nature is where his value lies I would REALLY test him when you go. atm she's tried a bombproof hack in a school alone so give yourself plenty of time to question everything they say about him.

Abs

Visit site
Always worth asking. Personally I'd always chuck a saddle in because it's not worth keeping it! If you do have to pay for it, just make sure it's a really good saddle that fits properly and has been regularly re-fitted (in fact ask the last time it was re-flocked etc). Otherwise your friend may find she's spending 500 quid in 6 months time in any case! Good luck!