How much prep for BE?

EventingMad

Visit site
I'm aiming to do my first BE Intro with Dylan (who is 6) at Eland Lodge in May.

Who i have taken SJ and XC schooling but very little else due to injury and various other problems.Will be 'attempting' to get him out and about this Winter with about 3 unaff dressage tests and a few Unaff SJ outings.

Then will be taking him to a couple of ODE and Hunter Trials in March/April time with him fingers crossed.
Now thinking maybe i should be thinking of starting a bit later in the season,as not sure if this is enough?

So any advice would be very gratefully received!
smile.gif

Thank you
smile.gif

I_A_P

Visit site
i would say make sure you are feeling confident in all three phases at or slightly above the height- that way you know you are prepared.

My personal opinion is BE is really costly and therefore i would want to make sure i had half a chance of doing reasonably well (ie. rather than using it as experience/schooling)

xmoodyxmarex

Visit site
Eland do the unaff hunter trials over the year, i think novice would normally be easier than an intro, and intermediate maybe a little bit harder, so maybe go to one of those aswell so you've had good practice
smile.gif
thats if there is one before the intro, i can't see their summer schedule up anywhere yet

I would also go xc schooling, possibly even at Eland, take someone knowledgable about the course and jump everything that has a possibility of being in the intro course!
smile.gif

crackersluvrat

Visit site
Hiya! Having jumped Dylan the other day I would make sure you are both 100% happy and confident around an up-to-height 3ft course, he seems a little green and unbalanced sometimes (but he is young so not a problem), I think May would be fine but Eland is 18-19th April?? However, Eland is a really nice course - I have done a hunter trial there, few points to note is it's a fairly hilly course and a reasonable lenght, it is built quite big (but inviting) and you will meet most questions there so when you XC school make sure you practice skinnies, corners, water, ditches, drops etc etc! He seems sweet on the flat so your dressage should be fine, intro tests are easier than BD prelim!! I did my first intro at bishop burton (which is end of may) and it was perfect for a first-time run + the SJ is on a surface so less to worry about re: ground conditions!! Good Luck with whatever you decide and if you make Eland in april I will see you there
laugh.gif