How much realistically for a nice 3.5 tonne

muddybay

Visit site
18 to 45k+ ?

Depends on age, mileage, build (as tho some look really 'nice', they are not always safe) and whether a van shape or coachbuilt.
Safety is definitely the main consideration! I've seen some newer cheaper ones (20k) but I don't know if that's a red flag for it being not well built

oldie48

Visit site
TBH I think you can pay what you like. I've got a John Oats coachbuilt 3.5 with a decent payload, 2006 with a sensible mileage which I'll be selling for a lot less than 18K. If I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't have travelled any of my horses in it.I have had a modification so that it's not possible for the horse to jump into the jockey area but the construction is solid. I think people just have to be aware that not all 3.5s are the same.

muddybay

Visit site
TBH I think you can pay what you like. I've got a John Oats coachbuilt 3.5 with a decent payload, 2006 with a sensible mileage which I'll be selling for a lot less than 18K. If I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't have travelled any of my horses in it.I have had a modification so that it's not possible for the horse to jump into the jockey area but the construction is solid. I think people just have to be aware that not all 3.5s are the same.
Our of interest why would the modification reduce the price? It always terrifies me the thought of a horse jumping into the jockey area after a friend's did it and badly injured themselves! So why would people not want it?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I've been looking (again) and my budget is 27k...Still struggling to find anything in that range that is/looks safe enough to put either of my ponies in!

lme

Visit site
We paid low 30s for a no frills John Oates stallion build on a low mileage 2017 chasis.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I have a trusty old Marlborough - it's not fancy and has needed bits and bobs sorting over the years but we paid £10k for it about 6 years ago and the horse area is solid. Mine doesn't have full height/stallion partitions, but I only transport experienced travellers in it, and it's high enough that they'd not try to jump over into the grooms area. To have full height partitions I think I'd have had to pay a lot more. I'd have another one happily.

L&M

Visit site
We bought a new conversion a couple of years ago, on a 2012 renault master chassis, 128,000 miles on the clock, for £17,000.
Very basic inside, everything designed to be lightweight so has a fab payload of 1260 kg.

PSD

Visit site
All depends what you want.

I’ve been looking for ages, originally wanted a coach build but didn’t have the budget so went for a van conversion but it would have been just over 19k, even though I had the money to spend I didn’t want to spend so much on one I wouldn’t use as much as some do.

I pick my 3.5 van conversion up tomorrow. It’s a 57 reg Renault master, done 247k but had it inspected by a mechanic and it’s a great van and conversion. I paid just under 7k for it, it was up for more but after a good chat we settled on that. However some I’ve seen I wouldn’t put my horses in, you just have to know (or in my case know someone) what to look for. A lot are asking daft prices for unsafe vehicles.

Mines basic and certainly nothing special, but it’ll do the job and I’m really excited to get it!

Abacus

Visit site
A year ago I paid 19k for a really sold build by Unique Coachworks with just under 100k mileage. Everything about it is well built and the payload is 1100 which is about standard - many have a lot less. Living is basic but with good storage. The horse space is tall and roomy, and has a full partition. It has V partitions to discourage jumping though, a really determined horse might have a go but mine are good travellers. I'm not sure if prices have gone up but I would think you could get a decent box for about 20k.

Fieldlife

Visit site
All depends what you want.

I’ve been looking for ages, originally wanted a coach build but didn’t have the budget so went for a van conversion but it would have been just over 19k, even though I had the money to spend I didn’t want to spend so much on one I wouldn’t use as much as some do.

I pick my 3.5 van conversion up tomorrow. It’s a 57 reg Renault master, done 247k but had it inspected by a mechanic and it’s a great van and conversion. I paid just under 7k for it, it was up for more but after a good chat we settled on that. However some I’ve seen I wouldn’t put my horses in, you just have to know (or in my case know someone) what to look for. A lot are asking daft prices for unsafe vehicles.

Mines basic and certainly nothing special, but it’ll do the job and I’m really excited to get it!
Echo this, price isn’t a huge indicator of safety or specifications.

There are £20-40k not very well built or over weight lorries and £5-10k solid safe basic rustic older lorries.

And everything in between including unsafe lorries at all price brackets.

Outside appearances can be deceiving.

Main thing IMO is to have experienced lorry mechanic advise you.

oldie48

Visit site
Our of interest why would the modification reduce the price? It always terrifies me the thought of a horse jumping into the jockey area after a friend's did it and badly injured themselves! So why would people not want it?
It wouldn't reduce the price, it should make it more desirable as it cost me £500 to have it done. I bought it with the V bars which also would stop a horse jumping the breast bar but my horse just did not like them.

PSD

Visit site
Echo this, price isn’t a huge indicator of safety or specifications.

There are £20-40k not very well built or over weight lorries and £5-10k solid safe basic rustic older lorries.

And everything in between including unsafe lorries at all price brackets.

Outside appearances can be deceiving.

Main thing IMO is to have experienced lorry mechanic advise you.

100%. I was lucky that I have an experienced mechanic look over mine. Don’t get me wrong it has some issues but it’s an older van so it’s to be expected. I’ve also paid way under my budget to factor in the repairs for these issues, it’s a solid van and safe conversion so id rather do some adjustments to it than spend 20k+ on something that isn’t converted correctly or safely.

You need to go into it with your eyes wide open and research the companies that are doing the better conversions. I viewed one that was done by equisport, beautiful van conversion but I didn’t like the way they had made the top canopy door larger than the bottom ramp. Just didn’t seem safe at all.

Also don’t discount one with higher mileage. Mine has done 240k but these vans are built to run forever, especially the older ones. Most are transport vehicles in a previous life and are looked after. Mine was a court document transporter before a horsebox so it’s always been highly maintained and serviced despite its mileage. I do have to fix a small leak that could present a huge problem if I leave it but there’s plenty of leverage in my budget to do this. Oh and I’m having it resprayed to get rid of scratches and dents and some surface rust in places.

muddybay

Visit site
Another question- Can I tow with a 1600kg towing capacity with one 500kg horse? What trailer would I need?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Technically yes, you could tow most trailers. Even an Ifor 510 (takes 2 big horses) only weighs 1000kg, leaving you 100kg spare.

In practice, a 1600kg limit is pretty low for a tow vehicle. What is it? Some vehicles are much better and safer tow cars than others, no matter what they are officially rated at for towing.