How much Sedalin to clean willy?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
New horse has one or more beans I need to remove. He’s shy about getting his willy out so am going to give him some Sedalin. He’s a 16.2hh tb but quite small withlong legs!

I don’t want him sparko but enough to get him to flop it out,

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have never used a sedative to clean willies. Is he very bad to groom in that area?

Generally, if a new or shy horse, I have a helper hold the horse so he is against the wall with his head turned towards me at the side. I station the bucket in front of my kneecaps, I use warm water and for the first time just have a sponge round. If that is uncomfortable I will leave it there for the day and do it again tomorrow. Once the horse is used to being wiped round then I will introduce Mr Sponge, and get him used to that.

Generally they relax into it once you start.

I go get it from the inside rather than have them flop it out.

But often they flop it out as they relax into it!

Auslander

Visit site
Helpful comment! 🤣

What GS is trying to say is that it's almost impossible to judge without knowing how the horse in question responds to the drug. Sedalin is a difficult drug to get the dose right, as the same size dose can be very effective on one horse, and not touch another.

As an example - Alf (17hh, 650kg) had 2 notches last week, and was out for the count. I gave a livery (16.2hh, 550kg) 4 notches this morning, and he didn't get sleepy in the slightest!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When I first got my horse he was not keen on his bits being touched. I got vet sedation as I think it is safer and it allowed the willy to drop out properly for a jolly good inspection and clean.

He’s now pretty happy to have it cleaned so I don’t need to sedate anymore.

As others have said you can get very variable results with Sedalin and sometimes it seems to make things worse if you haven’t got the dose right.

Carrottom

Visit site
I asked my vet how much to give a 16.2 tb mare who was very sensitive to clip and he said give her the whole tube and wait an hour. His reason was that it would not make her more sedated but the sedation would last longer. Worked fine but she did remain sleepy all day!

Reacher

Visit site
I was going to say I wouldn't use sedalin to clean a willy, i'd use something designed for the job like sheath cleanser.😁
(Sorry no help from me)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I asked my vet how much to give a 16.2 tb mare who was very sensitive to clip and he said give her the whole tube and wait an hour. His reason was that it would not make her more sedated but the sedation would last longer. Worked fine but she did remain sleepy all day!

That is certainly what I would suggest if my normal tactics failed. Just no guarantee it will work. Sedalin/Relaquine work with some but it does depend on 1) waiting at least a peaceful hour before doing what hose doesn't like, and 2) just HOW stressful it is to that horse's mind. Too much adrenaline and even a 'big' dose of vet administered sedation cannot work against it - believe me. But it's worth a try first with the Sedalin/Relaquin and do NOT then try to force the issue at first signs of difficulty. Let the horse just feel he's relaxed and quietly wash with a wrm towel around the stomach, work back slowly to the sheath with small 'advance/retreat approach. When you can get a warm, wet, clean cloth into the sheath, you can often et a bean even if the horse doesn't relax enough to drop - most do. Obviously work back from girth area, keep a 'spare' hand giving strokes/scratches and talk non-stop, soothingly. with some horses, having music playing quietly can help.

Definitely a full tube - along with the rest of the 'rules' on handling. You cannot rely solely on even a full tube to guarantee 'success' with safety. And the most important thing is to SEE the horse relaxed and looking a bit 'dopey' before you do ANYTHING that might boost adrenaline levels.