How much should I pay for this horse advice needed

JackyN

New User
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a 10 yr old Irish draft x t/b grey mare 16.1hh. Bombproof, hunted in ireland, xcountry with young rider. Sane sensible no vices. Tried her and she seems a nice pleasant ride. Was bought for 6500 two yrs ago being sold needing money. Looking on sites Seems between 3500 - 4500 seems to be going rate any advice please as Im really exited about her but don't want to pay over the odds for her. Advice needed please.

flowerlady

Visit site
Is there an advert you can link us to?

Must admit everytime you see a horse from Ireland it's always Hunted in Ireland, done a bit of everything and always, always with a young rider!! Ask them to put a young rider on it and see it jumped and all the things they claim it has done. Even then I wouldn't personally pay more than £2.5K it's a buyers market. Why are they selling?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It is a buyer's market, but a good, sensible, done it all Irish type, if nicely put together, will sell for reasonable money, so I'd say your £3.5- £4.5 is about right. I'd look on various sale sites for similar types. You won't find much for £2.5 with that spec, and if you do it will have issues!

Elsbells

Visit site
It is a buyer's market, but a good, sensible, done it all Irish type, if nicely put together, will sell for reasonable money, so I'd say your £3.5- £4.5 is about right. I'd look on various sale sites for similar types. You won't find much for £2.5 with that spec, and if you do it will have issues!

Ditto this.

Maybe that's why there are so many posters on here at the moment that say can't find a good horse? It maybe a buyers market or so they say, but good horses hold their price or potential sellers tend to not sell, but hang onto them instead until the market gets better.

Then again, do you want her enough?

Last edited:

Spangie

Visit site
agree with what's already been said - check out if it's done anything, like proven results. otherwise good horses are not dirt cheap at the moment, despite it being a 'buyers market'. in the grand scheme of things, the pruchase price is normally peanuts compared to what you'll spend on upkeep of a cheap horse that has issues!

Check her feet. My irish has really flat feet, apart from that he's awesome. But i am committted to shoeing every 5 weeks to keep him on the road, so to speak!

pixiebee

Visit site
i have to agree the 2.5k isnt going to get you a genuine horse of this sort! like other poster said, ask to see different riders jump etc, make sure you try a few times, hack etc and have it vetted, especially if you are paying nearer 4.5k!! personally, id be happy to pay around 3.5 for something like this, 4 if its done decent rc stuff as mentioned above.

competitiondiva

Visit site

I agree also with Honey, if the horse is what they say and a genuine alrounder, bombproof etc, 10 years old is still a prime age so I'd be saying the top end of the bracket above, if however when you view it it's not as genuine then of course it won't be worth that sort of money.

aimsymc

Visit site
I have just bought a 9yo dutch/irish alrounder who is perfect. schools, jumps, hacks. 100% box load clip for 4k. I would never have got her for that a few years ago total bargain! I dont think 2.5k is realistic for what u described tbh xx

Syrah

Visit site

Agree with this too. £2.5k isn't realistic for the type you've described unless there are issues.

JackyN

New User
Visit site
Thanks every one, she is ridden by young rider here in uk @ xc don't know to much about her history in Ireland just that she hunted. So far she appears to be everything they have stated. Having lessons on her & will ask to hack out on her as well.
Given 5 page questionnaire to owner with all sorts of questions. Seen her jump in school, seems sane enough, will find out more about her career, I will 5 star vet chk & will ask for a trial period before committing as well as get friend to ride her as well. I guess if she is 100% and can keep me safe that's what counts (50 nxt yr so need 2 think of my safety).
Owner is selling because getting divorce & needs the money, so might strike it lucky in the money pocket. Not advertised as she doesnt really want to sell her so dragging her feet but she knows she has to sell her and wants a good home for her.

Last edited:

Teddybully

Visit site
it's very difficult to price a horse without actually seeing it or sitting on it. She may well be worth £6.5k to someone - maybe not to you, I don't know. What I will say though is if I was selling the price would be agreed before you took the horse on trial (I personally would not allow this with a horse worth that money anyway) as that is only fair to the seller.

I think if she was that desperate for the cash she would have advertised her by now?

If you are going to offer way below the asking price I think you should decide pretty soon and put an offer to her as otherwise it's wasting her time really.

ETA: You say she paid 6.5 two years ago but what is she asking now? Has she said a price she wants or not?

Last edited:

indie999

Visit site
Interesting post just must have viewed about 16 horses now(another today) which was supposed to be all I wanted but was not at all.This one was overpriced and not very good at all. Looked nice but they wanted £2.6k+ My absolute budget was £3k for a perfect happy hacking horse but I cant find one myself. OH is fed up with me having an affair with the laptop and forum etc!

So I have been sitting here looking and was just thinking today of saving some more money to have a bigger budget. I am seeing a right load of rubbish owners saying they are private but are most definitely NOT! I have been looking at higher priced cobs on the internet and they seem to sound perfect but with a £4k price. AND I am ONLY a happy hacker!

Would someone drop £1k off the price ???is that possible??...most a couple few hundred but I think I am stopping looking now as it seems pretty hopeless and if another person tells me its a buyers market no way.

If this is the right horse dont let it get away..if you think its overpriced dont pay that.

Oh am thinking of looking at rubbish adverts as have a theory they are the honest ones?

Last edited:

Teddybully

Visit site
Would someone drop £1k off the price ???is that possible??...most a couple few hundred but I think I am stopping looking now as it seems pretty hopeless and if another person tells me its a buyers market no way.

I think if you saw a horse advertised for £4k and you went to view it having no intention of paying more than £3k you would most likely be wasting their time and yours. However if you were to call them and say, 'My absolute maximum budget is £3k, I don't want to waste your time but that is all I can spend on a horse, yours looks ideal etc, etc would you be in anyway be able to consider that?' All they can say is no and that's fine or you never know they may say yes. Then go and view in the knowledge you may be able to afford the horse.

Luci07

Visit site
Thanks every one, she is ridden by young rider here in uk @ xc don't know to much about her history in Ireland just that she hunted. So far she appears to be everything they have stated. Having lessons on her & will ask to hack out on her as well.
Given 5 page questionnaire to owner with all sorts of questions. Seen her jump in school, seems sane enough, will find out more about her career, I will 5 star vet chk & will ask for a trial period before committing as well as get friend to ride her as well. I guess if she is 100% and can keep me safe that's what counts (50 nxt yr so need 2 think of my safety).
Owner is selling because getting divorce & needs the money, so might strike it lucky in the money pocket. Not advertised as she doesnt really want to sell her so dragging her feet but she knows she has to sell her and wants a good home for her.

If she is as she sounds then she is worth around the 4.5/5K mark. I also would say that I would not let a horse like that go on trial if she was mine - something like that would sell very quickly down here!. Also, while you might not to hear this and I DO know people would try to take advantage - but maybe have a little sympathy for the woman who is being forced to sell her horse - particularly going through a divorce as well...

JackyN

New User
Visit site
Thanks again good advice, I am riding her whilst having lessons and will hopefully today getting a price so we can negotiate a deal & trial. She is remaining on the yard so think trial might b ok.

She is a gem I think and have the added bonus of the young girl still wanting 2 ride her so if I'm stuck for time I hope she will help out.

Yes I'm conscious of the reason for her being sold & don't want to fleece her just pay a fair price for her.