How much should I pay?

luane1

Visit site
Hi
Anyone any opinons as to how much I should expect to pay for a 11 year old 15.3 show jumping mare. She has done 120,130 and a couple of 140 (which were not a success). We have seen her win a fair bit with the present owner. My daughter wants to jump 110, 120 this summer and have fun and be in with the chance of winning, as we have two younger guys who need a lot of time patience and work . The present owners are going to get the horse downgraded as with SJAI you can only jump in 3 bands(I dont know your rules with BJSA) and we want to jump 110,120 and 130. They have tried putting the horse in foal in 2004/05 and it didnt take. She is fairly strightforward, though strong lady but she jumps well if you take a strong contact going into the fence. Any suggestions on price would be welcomed. As I do think we could have fun with her for a couple of years and sell her on.

luane1

Visit site
They have said they were looking for £15k but would take £10k. We are all in the same yard so I feel it is a bit difficult but I would argue my point if I had something to go on.

Tempi

Visit site
bearing in mind that if you sell her on in a couple of years time she'l be coming up to 14..........id say around £8k at the moment, but its hard to tell as there are no pictures or a comp record!

ETS - im way out then!!!!!!!
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They have said they were looking for £15k but would take £10k

[/ QUOTE ]
There's your answer.

If you feel that's too expensive then you'll need to look elsewhere. No idea if this is a reasonable price - but if it's what they want and you're willing to pay.........

Rambo

Visit site
My initial reaction was £7k - £10k...because of her size and the fact that she has reached her limit. The figure of £15k I would baulk at, but feel they will get their £10k if they wait. Perhaps offer them £9k, but don't be surprised if they don't take it
smile.gif

luane1

Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about £8.5 but I didnt want to insult them, she is nothing striking to look at but a really honest wee mare with no vices in the stable with clipping, shoeing etc and she has a good points record but yes as you say age is the thing.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
An 11 year old competition horse is no age at all - and if she will give your kids the confidence and winnings they are after then she would definately be one to consider.

Why do people harp on about 'age' all the time. You don't get advanced horses at 6 or 7.

Tempi

Visit site
i wasnt 'harping on' about age, just saying that when they sell her on she wont be worth quite so much as shes at the top of her game now and isnt getting any younger.

My Bloss is 13, 14 next year so i know age isnt an issue, but i am also aware that i wouldnt get for her what she would be worth if she was a few years younger and i want to sell her thats all.

luane1

Visit site
Ok I am not used to this we have a 7 year old who I bought as a 4yr old for 5k and unfortuantely he has a spavin at the moment which we are hoping will come right. We have an 8 yr old who needs severe patience as he has been brought on far too quickly and had a very sore back due to an ill fitting saddle and I reckon he wil only mess about this year to teach him that jumping is fun but he has huge potential and an enormous jump. Then we had a 6yrd old who we have had since 4 but he is being retired to the blood bank in Scotland as he will never be ridden again (so sad). I dont know why I am wary may be because of our run of luck and I do feel my daughter needs some fun out there this summer as the horses are her whole way of life.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your luck is bound to change - and really is it bad luck - or just having to take a few steps back????

There was an interesting thread on here last year I think about the blood bank and sending horses there. Is there a reason you decided to send the horse there as opposed to loaning it as a companion?

luane1

Visit site
I have a friend who has her horse there and met another couple of people on another site who had sent their horses and had been to visit and they were happy. I also talked to the farm manager and read alot about their set up. My reasons were that i didnt want someone to suddenly decide there is nothing wrong with this horse put him on bute and he will look sound and then he fall into the wrong hands and get sold somewhere that I wouldnt find out about until too late. So we had some real sole searching and came up with this. I dont have land for him we are at full livery plus he is not happy on his own and he will be useful and love not having to work again.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My reasons were that i didnt want someone to suddenly decide there is nothing wrong with this horse put him on bute and he will look sound and then he fall into the wrong hands and get sold somewhere that I wouldnt find out about until too late.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can absolutely agree with those sentiments. There have been a few incidents of things like that happening mentioned on here - so sad.

Well good luck, and let us know what you decide about the mare.

luane1

Visit site
Thank you we have her on trial from next weekend for a week to decide if we want to buy her or not, this is easy because as I said she is already at the same yard with her owner plus they have to get her downgraded before we agree to buy. I will let you all know if we can agree a price.

Skhosu

Visit site
I wouldn't be wasting their time if you aren't prepared to pay! Drives me scatty, someone had our pony on trial, came back with an offer of 4K, less than half what we were asking. Pony was brought back that night and made me very angry at the person. TBH I would never offer more than around 500 less than asking...o
Do let us know what you decide.

luane1

Visit site
I am not wasting anybodys time if we get on with her during this week then I would be willing to pay near enough the price if not I wouldnt insult anybody by offering a stupid price, that is why I was trying to guage opinion on price for this age and type of horse so I will let you know

seza

Visit site
Hi
We can't downgrade in this country but any horse can jump open heights. We bought a 12 year old grade A for my son when he moved off ponies. It was very experienced and allowed him to jump 130s safely and confidently. It has given him the confidence to jump the novices and although we have sold him three years later for less money I can honestly say that it was money well spent. He now has a home for life and is doing riding club and dressage. I think kids need to have fun competing and there is no substitute for winning.