How much time do you spend with your youngster?

Hampshire

Visit site
I was wondering how much time people spend with their youngsters? I am considering taking on a beautiful rising 2 year old Section D gelding who has a lovely laid back temperament. He will live out most of the time but I will have a stable if required. I plan to do some ground work and grooming, picking up feet etc etc weekly but was wondering just how much time he will need on a daily basis. I only ask because I won't always have time to do things with him every day but I will go down and see him every day and I will have the yard owner check on him daily for me. Will this be enough handling for a youngster or should I do more or will he be okay with me not doing stuff with him every day? I plan to spend at least a couple of hours doing hands on things at the weekends but during the week it will just be a quick check and maybe some carrots etc ...

Thanks for reading :)

Ladylina83

Visit site
I think that should be plenty , they tend to need a bit of time to think about what they learnt anyway but you have to question if you will have time for him when he does need a focus on his education in two years time though

Pluto

Visit site
Thanks Ladylina, I should have more and more time as the year goes on and in a years time I will have lots more time as my youngest will be starting nursery :)

Hampshire

Visit site
Sorry my sister was logged in (Pluto) ... Thanks for your reply. I will have a lot more time in a years time when he will start needing more time :)

Elfen

Visit site
Will he have another youngster to go out with? I bought a two year old last year and he really benefitted with being out with horses his own age - they play so much and sometimes older horses won't tollerate it, so baby horse finds another outlet.....

Mine spent the summer out 24/7 but was handled everyday - feet picked etc.

glenruby

Visit site
I don't spend any time with my youngster at 2 years of age. He has been butted, will lead and pick up feet. That's all he needs to do for now. He is now rising 3 and will hopefully back him in the summer so will start doing a little bit (probably 2-3days/wk) at first in may then crack on and break in June/July. Horses need time to grow up without us interfering with them. My youngster lives out unrugged with adlib hay ( he had haulage but is now holding too much condition!) he is 3/4TB 1/4ID.

be positive

Visit site
I dont think youngsters need to be with other youngsters, although this is probably ideal as they tend to have similar requirements, but they do need company that is going to tolerate the sometimes rather boisterous play without being either stressed or too nasty with discipline. They will learn how to behave by being in a mixed group, as they would if in the wild, a small group is ideal if you can find somewhere that offers this, not always easy.
As others have said at this time he will not need handling daily, just the usual checks should be fine, he can use the time to grow and be a horse.

Clodagh

Visit site
My yearling lives with my three year old and they play for hours, I think its more fun for them than with an old horse but any company is better than none.
I only look at mine twice a day, he doesn't get any regualr handling. Yesterday I bought him in, tied him up, groomed him and picked out his feet and he was impeccably behaved. He then stood happliy in the stable all dfay and led out like a dream last night, I now won't touch him again until the farrier is due.

HazyXmas

Visit site
Hi, i personally believe that it's important for youngsters to have plenty of 'turned away' time in which to grow up, ideally in a mixed herd so that they are 'taught' some manners by the older horses.
I have young New Forest ponies. They are checked twice a day, given hay if needed. They come in overnight if the weather is really awful & every 10-12 weeks they see the farrier for a trim. We will spend a couple of weeks intensive handling in the Spring & then late Summer but apart from that i leave them alone until they are rising three.
Good luck with your new youngster :)

solliegirl

New User
Visit site
My Welshie D cross is 4 in July. We bought him at 6 months old. He lives out 24/7 in a small group with my old boy (25) plus a couple of youngsters & a 11 year old. Works brilliantly. he has the other kids to play with but the older guys to make sure he learns his manners. Up til last summer. we only brought him in a couple of times a week for feet picking, grooming, wearing a plastic bit for 10 mins etc & getting him used to wearing a rug but then gradually starting introducing him to roller, saddle & lunging. I backed him in August & he was dream. By doing everything really slowly he has seemed to accepted it all. Let your horsie tell u when he's ready to do more. Some times we just go out in the field & 'hang out with him. Turned away at the moment ready for the next stage in the spring. We do have loads of advise & support from our yard owners, who are ex Kings troop. :)

Four Seasons

Visit site
My stallion is rising two and he stands with 2 olders horses, which has done him the world a good. He shows respect for other horses, but can play when allowed. Most youngsters who stand with other youngsters, don't have this respect.

My youngster is in hands everyday and brushed 2/3 times a week. Last year we did groundwork every 2 weeks, as he was very tired after the groundwork (thinking alot and learning alot). This year he will be introduced to lunging once every two weeks, slowly building that up and more groundwork about once a week. I walk outside with him alot, to build up confidence and hard tendons.