How much to do with a yearling?

Kacey88

Visit site
So my filly is currently at home with her dam fully weaned and the two of them are heading back to friends (another mare and yearling and gelding pony) in the next few weeks. While they have been here I've taken the oppurtunity to get the filly leading nicely. She is very quiet to handle and isn't worried by anything. She can be strong at times when taken outside the yard/field, but loves seeing new things and waits at the gate to be brought for a walk so I indulge her once a week! She has had one or two stroppy episodes but is becoming more manageable each time. I have her trotting up nicely in the yard.

I am considering planning a show or two for her in the summer, would this be too much at this stage or good experience for her? I was considering asking much more experienced people to show her for me for the first time. She is already 14hh at 9 months and would like her to be with very confident handlers in case she becomes overwhelmed (more likely that I would!!)

What do people think? Whatever I decide, she is spending the majority of the spring/summer in a big field with friends.

She used to look show worthy
xeykjPU.jpg

But now she looks like this!
rfjCejA.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
She's lovely!
I'd get her out to a couple of shows, she sounds down to earth and ready for a bit more

amy_b

Visit site
I took my yearling to a little show last year and had a great day out. If you don't HAVE to get results I would just pick a low key, local show where you can both go and have a nice relaxed day out. Using a pro is unnecessary pressure IMO.

You have years to practice and at this stage I would make sure she has a nice time and starts to learn how to behave in public without the pressure :)