How much to pay a showing judge płease?

Chuckieee

Visit site
I have friends who were organising a small show and they require a unaffiliated showing judge for the day. I was wondering how much they should expect the judge’s time? And would it be much more for an affiliated judge?

Many thanks

be positive

Visit site
Unless the judge is a professional judging at an affiliated show then they usually just expect a decent lunch/ regular hot drinks at this time of year ideally without them having to keep asking, a contribution towards fuel and maybe a bottle along with a "thank you" at the end of the day, many will get less, I even gave up waiting for lunch once after a long morning judging and went home without even an acknowledgement, that show went on the black list.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think it depends a bit on the reason for the show. RC or other fund raiser, then as BP says, if for a commercial venture then money would be called for. We've always had lunch and lots of hot drinks and then usually a bottle or box of chocs to take home.

conniegirl

Visit site
Normally when I judge unaffiliated i like my fuel covered, Lots and lots of drinks (hot at this time of the year and cold in mid summer), a bottle of somethingg and its a good bonus if I get £30 for the day (it really will help you get judges to return in future if you look after then.
The money normally ends up being spent on a takeaway as well as going towards paying someone to look after my horse for the day if necessary.

If it is a charity show i just expect to be fed and watered during the day, if im given anything for tge day or fuel it normally goes straight back into the charity tin!

Though i have to say one charity Christmas show i judged at had potted Poinsettias as decoration on thier jumps. At the end of the day each if the judges got a bottle of wine and a Poinsettia which was lovely. I still have that plant

honetpot

Visit site
Mileage, drinks a decent lunch and perhaps a choice of wine or chocolates.Often older judges bring their partners, so make a fuss of them as well. Please make sure you book stewards,
And when you plan your schedule make sure that you have planned lunch break.

gallopingby

Visit site
Depends on the level/type of show. its Helpful if there’s a steward to look after the arrangements. If travelling a distance coffee/tea on arrival and lunch plus mileage. I don’t always accept mileage, bigger shows will have a set rate per mile. If some distance away mileage may help covering the costs of house sitter/animal feeder. If no lunch or payment offered l too have a little black book.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
An emphasis on good manners, from all on the show ground, so I would have hoped that the OP would have come back to thank people for taking the time and effort to reply!

Chuckieee

Visit site
Absolutely. Thank you all for replying. This is a one off village show and I had planned to provide resfreshments and a lunch but also expenses of £50. I had thought this was far too little but this might be about right as there is very little travel and it should only be about four hours of judging, I think.

Thank you again.

gallopingby

Visit site
Chuckleee the mileage rate is not usually more than 50 pence a mile and frequency rather less. If its a one off village show I'd only be expecting minimal expenses. Remember four hours of judging in the rain or blazing sun may necessitate a short break if feasible. After four hours I usually suggest a short break if one hasn't been offered!

Chuckieee

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion and I’ll pass that onto the committee. I’m hoping that if it goes well then it may be repeated.

It quite extraordinary how much horse folk do voluntarily for fellow horse people. People giving up entire weekends to judge, fence judge, pole pick, etc. It’s a generous community in very many ways.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Fuel if judge travelling more than 10 miles, ample refreshments, box of chocs &/or bottle of wine ( not everyone drinks wine) I have also received a rather nice plant. But the best way to make your judge want to come back is a brilliant ring steward